1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst amp ever ... (apologies if this thread already exists)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dirty Dave, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Surface Pro and W10. Its not an amp, but its such a bad product, it deserves mention anytime defective products are discussed.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  2. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

hahaha...it looks so ugly that I already love it:)...reminds me of [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    That Cal Webway and Dirty Dave like this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

my first amp...right into the rec/aux in[​IMG]

Dirty Dave, ponce and jman72 like this.
  4. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that's surprising. How do you make a bad sounding Champ clone? My 15 year old son built a fantastic 5f1- you'd think that a boutique company like Victoria would put out a great little Champ. Maybe there was a problem with it?

Dirty Dave likes this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Don't even get me started on Marlboro amps. Yeeeeeeeeeeesh!

soul-o and Dirty Dave like this.
  6. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I am probably not remembering it correctly. I had one of those for awhile but it was a loaner. Almost 50 years ago...Thanks for the memories.

Dan

Glen W and Dirty Dave like this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Gorilla - fizz fest.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I contacted them via e-mail and got no response. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dirty Dave and jman72 like this.
  9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Quantum Terminator 15

I know this because my first amplifier was a Quantum Terminator 25R. The distortion sounded like broken guitar picks shaken around in a milk jug. I've been looking for a schematic of that amp for quite some time, just out of curiosity. Maybe I could build a nasty distortion pedal out of its preamp.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My most disappointing was the Carvin Bel Air.

For years, as a longtime Guitar Player magazine subscriber ( 30 years!) I used to see the ads for the Carvin Bel Air and Nomad amps, in the back of every issue.
    " all tube, 50 watts, 2X12" Vintage style speakers, 2 Channels, Reverb, tweed look..."
    direct from Carvin, maybe $349.00 or $399, I forget, but on paper, the amp and the price sounded perfect! I lusted for these amps, as they seemed like great tube amp values.

So after actually getting a '67 Fender Pro Reverb ( and gigging lots, but having maintenance issues with it) for a few years and getting some $$, in the mid '90's I bought a Carvin Bel Air, as a backup to my Pro.

Could NOT do anything with it!

- a clangy edgy clean tone with an upper midrange spiky overtone you could not dial out ( this may have been crappy speakers, but I did not think this back then), and a fizzy OD channel

Total mess of an amp, at least for me.
    Sold it after a year towards another amp, at my local shop.

* OTOH, I loved my Carvin PA gear!

Dirty Dave likes this.
  11. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Ha. Our High School band's first "PA" was a noname Radio Shack mike through a JVC tape Deck with a built in amp and a couple of 200 pound early 80's floor-standing Advent Stereo speakers.

What the hell did we know, we were just trying to bash out some Who songs to impress the girls...

Dirty Dave likes this.
  12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I see people ragging on the venerable Peavy Bandit, but I assure you that my bandit was a major step up from all of us plugged into a Marlboro PA head. Saturation, baby.

Dirty Dave and That Cal Webway like this.
  13. cometazzi

Regarding Maiden, are you referring to (specifically) Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son? My understanding (and I'm willing to have you correct me) is that the tone on those albums were mostly Adrian Smith's fascination with Roland signal processing gear and Roland guitar synths. I feel like it worked better on SiT, but Seventh Son is definitely a tragedy.

It also took me some years to realize that the writing and riffs on Seventh Son were phenomenal. It's just too bad that all the guitar tones were so shrouded in mist like a meatloaf fart in the shower. Some of the remasters of Megadeth albums have really improved them, so I was hoping for a remaster of some Maiden albums that could maybe undo some of the post-processing stuff, if possible. Instead, they got remastered and re-released in the 90s and were just made 'loud' with a brick wall limiter.

I do remember the ads in some guitar magazine of both Murray and Smith standing next to a Gallien Krueger stack and thinking "maybe that's what I need to sound like the tracks on Live After Death". Maybe it's good that 14-year old me didn't have the dinero to dump on one.

Dirty Dave and northernguitar like this.
  14. cometazzi

Note that the knobs go up to 11.

Also, the one I had smelled funny. Not like wet dog, but like weird carpet. Probably carcinogenic.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

My worst was my first. I got it in 1964. It was a Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve, the one where the head stores away in the bottom of the 2x12 cabinet. It was loud and had a cool looking pilot light. That's the best I can say about it. The sound was a disappointment from the get go, but it was enough amp to get into a band with. The other guitarist in that band had a pretty crappy amp too. But several months later he shows up to rehearsal with a Fender Super Reverb. Holy Moly! That really opened my eyes (and ears). In those days at least, if you wanted quality, you had to pay the piper, and I have ever since.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

That's f***ed up.
    I can almost smell that.

lowatter likes this.
  17. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I was very fortunate in the amp department. I never owned what I consider a bad amp. I had a little Gibson solid state GA-5 to start out but that doesn't count. I saved hard for my first amp, a Music Man RD-50. It was $350.00 new, which was a chunk of change for a youngster. Most of my friends had Peavey amps. I hated those things. Peavey went on to make some fine amps, but not so much in the 1980s. Later I got some assorted Fenders: Princeton Reverb, Pro Junior and Bandmaster. Now it's just my trusty old '77 SFPR. I avoided the Blues Junior, which most of my friends have. I don't hate them but not my first choice in a Fender.

I can say that I've ever owned a bad amp. I guess I'm lucky that way.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Ultralinear silverface master volume** 1977 Fender Twin Reverb.

Loud, shrill, loud, brittle, loud, screechy, loud, heavy and loud.

Not “Loud in a Good Way.”

I bought it in ignorance.
    I paid for an education.

I was able to break even on my investment due to my immense charm and the (confounding) desire of the buyer to separate me from this amp.

**I have nothing against silverface/master volume amps—in fact, one of my favorite amps to pass through my herd was a silverface/master volume 1972 Bassman Ten...but this Twin Reverb was horrible.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  19. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Whatever works!

My first "PA" for practices was a Squier SP-10 that I modified with spring-type speaker connections to run the same two 3-way 6x9" speakers in parallel (2 ohm load!), fed from my $60 mixer. The amp blew up for some reason?

My first "Stage Monitor" setup was a Sony EXPLODE 22 Watt per channel car audio amp, that I ran from a heavier-duty 12V Power supply (purchased to run my "first amp" setup in my first post) into those same 3-way 6x9 speakers. My roomate used this same setup when he wanted to record some demos in college- he used the Car Power amp and 6x9s as studio monitors.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Europe, 1973, I rented an Ampeg amp in France. I recall it was 6x10 speakers (great sounding combo tube amp), but I haven't been able to find it in Ampeg amp archives. Was I dreaming? I know it wasn't 4x10 ... it was huge. Barely fit in the Peugeot we rented.

Dirty Dave likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.