1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worst amp ever ... (apologies if this thread already exists)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dirty Dave, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

I love Fender.
    But I was getting rid of some stuff lately, and took a Fender Princeton 65 DSP to the charity shop because I wouldn't have been able to face myself if I sold it on to somebody in good faith.
    I think it was the same price as a Peavey Bandit 112 when I bought it, but shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.
    Disgusting quality.
    Aesthetically, it looked pretty good, but everything else about it purely sucked.
    I guess I just stuck it in a cupboard years ago, and selectively forgot about it.
    Any thoughts on the worst amps you've ever played?

bcorig, BigNorm and northernguitar like this.
  2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Personally, the worst I ever played was a second generation/version of a Blues Junior. Played it for 10 years because I absolutely had to have a tube amp and couldn’t afford anything else at the time (also I didn’t know about affordable non-Fender/solid state options). It always sounded boxy and muddy overdriven (pedal or amp) and thin and sterile clean. Eventually, I bought a Peavey Bandit as a backup but both I and my bandmates thought it sounded better than the Blues Jr. The Blues Jr became the backup to the Bandit instead and I ended up selling it after I got a good deal on a PRRI.

That’s just my opinion, I know the Blues Jr gets a lot of love. I played a Blues Jr III or IV as a backline amp at a gig a few years later and I thought it sounded better than the one I had, but not enough to wish I owned one again.

I’ve played a few amps in store or at jams that had so many controls that I didn’t know how to make it make a good sound. Can’t remember what the brand/model names of those ones, though.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

I've never actually played a Blues Jr.
    My first proper amp was a Bandit.
    Absolutely excellent things.

Terrygh1949, BigNorm and Bob M like this.
  4. amazocon

amazocon TDPRI Member

Anything from Crate. I've had 4 or 5, all bought used, and every single one was defective. Frustrating.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The worst amp I've ever owned was a Heathkit 2x12 SS combo I found on the curb on trash day. I grabbed it thinking it may have some decent speakers in it. Turned out the no-name speakers were blown, but the amp portion worked fine.

I found some Realistic 12" speakers at a hamfest for $5 each and stuck 'em in there. The amp was two channels (not switchable) and had volume and tone controls and a tremolo that was terrible. I replaced the torn-up grill cloth and painted a name badge on the front: Barking Spider. This was 15 years before Line 6 came out with their Spider amp. Trendsetting is a thankless job :twisted:

A few years later a pal of mine named Rick said he loved the lo-fi tone of the thing, so I gave it to him. If you know a guy named Rick who also goes by the nickname 'Guido' and plays through a Heathkit Barking Spider amp, that's the one!

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

A Barking Spider.
    Pretty solid sounding amp name . .
    This should probably win, because it's a cool story.

7. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is, almost, my story as well. Minus the Bandit. I had 3 years of it before I went to the Superchamp modelers. and never looked back.

srblue5 and Dirty Dave like this.
  8. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Meister

Line 6 Spider 1v 75. Absolutely dreadful amp, especially when you get into the distortion settings.

Note: The Bandit makes for a great poweramp combo for a modelling board. I've used mine with a Line 6 POD XT Live patched into the 'Pwr Amp In' jack, I use the POD for all controls. It was markedly better when I swapped out the Sheffield speaker for a Celestion 70/80. It's a much smoother and neutral sounding speaker and it didn't colour the tone as much as the stock speaker. YMMV

9. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Meister

When our band started gigging at parties and such I needed a bigger amp than the tiny 1x8 tube powered Lero I started on.
    So the salesman talked my father into buying a 200W 2x12 Gibson amplifier. I knew nothing about gear back then, but Gibson was the deeeluxe name in guitars, so I was thrilled.
    It had "harmonic multiplier" distortion and an onboard phase shifter.
    Ten tons of solid state crap that I dragged around for years until I just left it in somebody's studio somewhere.

Festofish, thunderbyrd and Dirty Dave like this.
  10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who has one of those Fender DSP amps. He never plays it. The single time I heard him play it, it didn't sound terrible to my ear. Of the readily available and relatively popular commercial amps that I've played the Blues Junior takes the cake for the biggest stinker I've played also.

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

There's a lot of Bandit love so far . .
    This is making me want to get one all over again, but I think the missus would kill me if I bought any more amps for a while . .
    Maybe I can find one that needs some fixing-up for a 'lockdown project'. . .

northernguitar likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

The worst amp EVER, the Peavey Bandit 112 hands down. I would rather go playing bare amp or drums before using that crap again

[​IMG]

Cali Dude, Wallaby, Brillig and 2 others like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

We've covered this a half-dozen times, but here are mine again. Both were in the '90s.

1. The smallest Crate practice amp that was built like a wooden crate. Got it in a trade. It smoked and died with a noise like a bug being strangled. It smoked, one day, and went into the trash.
    2. One of those little Gorilla practice amps. Paid $20 for it. The tone could be varied between nasty and the sound of spoons in a garbage disposal. Smoked and trashed.

Alex_C, aging_rocker, gkterry and 3 others like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Crate VC508. I got it new very cheap from auction. Horrible in every way. But it did give me my first taste of amp tinkering and modding. So there’s that.

erratick likes this.
  15. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

As for the Fender DSP... I'm not a fan, but if you watch Joe Walsh playing "At Daryl's House", he's playing through a DSP 212 - and he sounds just like Joe Walsh. So what do I know?

16. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

In the mid 1980's I bought a Dean Markley amp on the recommendation of some sales guy somewhere. This was back before the days of the internet, YouTube videos and product reviews, other than Guitar Player magazine. Spent a good amount of money for a very harsh, solid state-sounding tube amp...couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

SRHmusic likes this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

A Crate or something practice amp in the 80s, I guess - in more modern times I've been happy with stuff I have owned. I always hated blues jrs, but then I played a couple shows with one as a backline and they actually sounded pretty good in those settings. Maybe it was just that one. Currently I am hating the Reissue Twin in my rehearsal space, there's no way to get the tone I want out of it without pedals, and it seems to be frying another tube again.

erratick likes this.
  18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Vox Valvetronix VT40. Nasty early modelling amp.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Obviously you’ve never played a Barking Spider.

PJHoppy, RLee77, tanplastic and 4 others like this.
  20. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

So if we sound like us no matter what we play through, does that mean it's not the crappy amp's fault? Hmmmmmm, mind blown.

In all seriousness, I decided some time ago to dedicate my GAS money to lessons, and I think it was the best money I ever did not spend on gear.

NoTeleBob and SRHmusic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.