1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Worship leader WANTS amps on stage ;)

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by southpaw pete, Sep 30, 2013.

1. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

Well, I'm the worship leader... :D
    so hopefully that will make it easier haha.
    Like many churches, we've been through the whole "less stage volume" challenges - had Roland VDrums and ran our guitars (acoustic and electric) direct, used more Hot Spots and fewer big floor monitors... Hadn't gone all the way to in-ears though.

A few years ago our drummer wanted to bring his real kit for the youth nights. It was a lower end Pearl kit, but I was amazed how much I even preferred that over the sound of the VDrums. So after a few weeks of using the Pearl kit on Wednesdays and VDrums on Sundays, he asked if he could use his kit for a Sunday. I told him to use Hot Rods and try not to be too loud. He did a great job, and I heard many great comments from the congregation. Even the seniors remarked, "I may be old fashioned, but I just really like the sound of real drums." Excellent. My next step was to trade/sell the VDrums for a real set... and got a killer trade - an 80s, US made, all maple Gretsch kit with hardware! I bought a shield to keep the stage volume under control a little bit, and everybody seems to be very happy with them.

Now on to the guitars.
    Our other guitarist runs direct through a POD, but runs a line out to a little modeling Vox (behind a plexi shield) for personal monitoring. And I've been running my pedalboard through the Sansamp Liverpool for some years now. It actually does the trick quite well, and gives the sound guy complete control, which may or may not be a good thing. Sometimes I can hear everything clearly, and other times they may turn it down way too much in the monitors and I'm just left hoping it sounds good out in the mains.
    But lately I've been really missing the responsiveness and interaction of a guitar with a real amp on stage, and the way even the cleans can kind of surround you even at lower volumes, as opposed to just coming out of the monitors.

So I sold off some personal gear to go out and purchase a little Fender Blues Jr. Sweet little amp! Plays REALLY well with all of my pedals (especially the Open Road, Route 808 and Barber LTD). I am going to be bringing it in sometime this week to set it up and figure out the best way to get the tone I want while not being too loud. Probably using another amp shield and trusty SM57. But I will be experimenting with also running a direct line through either my Liverpool or the H&K Red Box. I usually record a loop through my DD7 so I can put down the guitar and walk around and listen, make changes etc...

Sorry for the extremely long post. If you've made it this far, well done. :)
    Anybody else returning to real amps from the direct modeling solutions?

2. southpaw pete

Nice link, SngleCoil! Looks like you and I are on a common journey. :)

BTW, how are the fall colors down there right now?
    (I grew up in central VA, still miss seeing the fall colors there in the Blue Ridge)

3. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

No sign yet...maybe in 3 or 4 weeks.

4. southpaw pete

Oh right. Fall comes so much earlier up here!
    Enjoy the colors when they arrive!

5. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

You're the worship leader? I thought the worship leader was required to strum an acoustic.;)

6. southpaw pete

:lol:
    Yeah, I do that a lot too.

7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Yep bro I did the big rack thing back in the late 90's then the POD thing for a while. now if my amp is not welcome on e stage I'm not welcome there is no discussion!
    My go to amp of choice is a Zinky 25 watt Blue velvet and I run few effects and use NO DIRT BOXES. I can get BRUTAL expressive crunch tones at levels you can comfortably talk over.
    Like here in this tiny Church.

8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good news!

There was a point when I was asked to go direct to the PA. It only lasted about a month. That was three years ago. Ear buds were bought. Now they rarely get used.

Lately, I'm blessed with worship leaders that give me freedom. I've been using low wattage amps and a mic. It must be working because I've had two WL within our local stream in the past year who like what I bring and invited me to join their team. These are small buildings with 100 - 300 seats using only three monitors at most for a team with bass, drums, keys, acc gtr, elec. gtr (me), and a lead singer. The drums are behind plexi-glass in most places I play.

This year ONE sound man asked me to go direct when I first came to his church but changed his mind after he heard me in the mix. I was able to deflect his first notion by persuading him that the amp is only my stage monitor.

So it can be done.!

9. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Doug, good news indeed. I've used an amp exclusively for 23 years, including on the trip to the old TACF playing bass. Sometimes it's been a blackface Pro or Twin Reverb, sometimes a 1x10 Princeton Reverb, but always an amp, even for 10 people.

10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rick, let me know if you come through this way again. :)

11. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

Amps are instruments too. that's what the uninformed don't understand. they only see a guitar. But the difference in sound between one amp and another, even ones with similar tubes, etc, is staggering.

The same is true with effects. I just got a new pedal and it's like I have to learn to "play it" like I would learning a new instrument.

12. southpaw pete

Well, I found this old thread and figured I'd add an update.
    I've been using the Blues Jr at my church for a few months now. I gotta say, I thought there may be some issues with stage volume (or even the appearance of stage volume, if you know what I mean). I've been running it just loud enough for my needs, hitting it with an overdrive when needed, and micing it with an sm57. It's gone over quite nicely - no complaints on the volume, and I am enjoying my tone and having control over my volume on stage.

13. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

One of our leaders, who had played a clean electric told me that he needed one on his NGD :rolleyes:. I told him that I wasn't his wife but I would back his play :lol:

14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

My pastor leads worship sometimes but plays all the time. He use's a Blue's Jr and a Zoom multi pedal the new one they have out for like 300$. He turns the amp around so the speaker is facing toward him, and they mic it. It works real well that way, more are less is monitor for guitar. We have a church that can seat 300 people are more. When I play bass I use a SWR 300 pro head and a 410 cab, they did have a mic on it. But we just push farther back toward the wall and I play off the stage and it works great. We have 4 to 6 singer's sometimes horn's and we have piano and keyboard player.

15. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Very cool!

I went away from using my BJr for a short bit and went the direct in Line 6 modeling route. While that worked, and I was mostly happy with it, I recently decided to go back to the amp. Fortunately, WL's I work with are cool with it either way :cool:.

Like you I have it loud enough on stage so I can play off of it, and mic it for the mix. A long time ago I modded it and installed a line out on it, but I never use that live. It sounds much better miced with a '57. The pedals I have in front of it are a Timmy, a Nova Repeater, and a HOF. I mostly get the OD I want from the amp itself, the Timmy just adds a bit of sweetness. Another mod I did was to add a clean boost circuit that works after the amp's preamp section. When that's on I get a good boost when I needed it. (Those mods I talk about are Billm mods, btw)

Next week I'll be trying out a cheap Joyo Tremolo. I'm very happy with this rig.

16. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Been hearing this more an more lately. At one point every guitarist at my church was running through modelers. All but one has switched back to their tube amps. I just recently started learning how to run sound and while the modelers sound fine, I was even surprised to find how much better an actual amp sits in the mix.

Even where stage volumes are a big concern, there are a lot of great products available recently to help tube amp players "have their cake and eat it too."

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

When I am playing guitar, its my Fender Deville 410 III, are my only SS amp I like is my Lab series L5. I do like the old PV Bandit 65. I tried a Roland Cube 80XL just wasn't my thing I sold it. I guess I have been playing tube amps to long. The most important musician on the worship team, is the sound man if everything is going threw the board. It takes a very even temper man are woman to be a sound person. They need a lot of prayer and respect. I don't care how good you play, a good sound man can make it or break it. Need to take time and prayer and work together.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

It depends on the church. I had a WL who thought my Vox AC4 was too loud. Some of these guys are in sanctuaries that really project the stage volume.

It's a case by case thing. I keep my Princeton Reverb RI off stage when i lead the band, but we bring it on stage when there's no drums and just a leader on acoustic, so it's moved around depending on the needs of the day and the size of the band.

I'm the WL and very pro amp, and even I think there are time to bring it down a bit. The issue to is that each amp has a sweet spot, so if I go down to say volume 3, it looses something in the sound.

19. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I use a pair of Peavey Transtube Blazer 158s cranked to about 1:00. Great Princeton type sound. Enough volume to hang with bass, drums, keys, and singers but won't assault the folks in the front row pews.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.