Worlds Collide... Bob Weir and John Mayer on the Late-Late Show

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by stealyerface, Feb 6, 2015.

1. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Well, it was bound to happen... John Mayer backed up Bobby last night for a two-song set of Truckin' and Althea on the Late Late Show.

Too bad I like John Mayer, so this won't be a hater thread. I thought he did a pretty nice job riffing through the tunes where he was needed, and Bobby looked like he might be on the mend from a long recovery of some sort of ailment.

Bob did a better job singing the tunes, as opposed to the Leonard Cohen style of sing-talking he had started to get into during the last tour, and his voice... well, not too shabby.

I could take or leave Truckin' as far as my fav Dead tunes go, but ALthea is one of my all time favorites. They did a good job, and Bobby was not too slide-crazy, which is always a good thing.

Word is Johnny M is going to supplant Trey for the Chicago shows...

~syf

2. NStone

NStone Tele-Meister

As I read it John M has become a big fan of the dead and it shows that he loves it. I just watched a cover of Althea from red rocks that wasnt too bad. Him AND trey ....perhaps I can cash in my head card while it still holds value...lol

Im not a hater ...err trying not to but all this final dead show bs is wearing me thin. All my headie friends are broke hoping they get mail order tickets ...blah blah ...everyone's broke....blah.

Perhaps I need to dump more coffee down my throat ....lol

3. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

I watched the whole show out of curiosity, and then we finally got to Truckin'...

Personally, I thought JM should've used the neck pick-up, because his tone (4 position?) sounded thin and out-of-place. I also wished he'd've maybe laid back a bit and found the groove, so he could've ridden instead of pushing--- maybe Scarlet Begonias would've been a better...? ehhhhh, maybe not. He seemed to "get it" better on Althea, but still, I think the neck would've been better.

Elsewhere, someone made a comment that, knowing who was coming, Mayer should've brought his own Alembic to the party--- that might have changed his approach (thicker tone, more atmos). That comment made me think that Hell, if he'd brought the Alembic, he could've brought his notorious bear costume and worn it while playing and that would've been a performance for the Ages (and been great T. V. too).

Nice to see Bob being the natural Mr. Natural in the guest seat part of the venue, and I liked like Bob's "...thicker than blood" summa when reflecting on Jerry and him and the band.

4. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

I had similar reaction ... Bob sure looks/sounds old.

5. stealyerface

That beard is doing him no favors with his look... he does look old. Wow.

But, the thing that gave me a little glimmer of hope for the July shows, is that he is singing again.

He went through this weird stage of talk-singing, which I absolutely abhor when I hear it. Leonard Cohen might be a genius, he might be a song-writing wunderkind, but he cannot sing. So Bobby, on the last tour, did this weird talk-sing during his songs, which compounded itself while John Kadlecik was doing a phenomenal Jerry for his portion of the set.

I felt Althea was a pretty decent showing, and I felt like Mayer's guitar was a little to "Stratty", which what I believe the poster above was referring to. It sounded like SRV's guitar was sitting in behind Bob, when a humbucker choice might have been a prudent idea...

Let's take this away from the night:

Bob sang, and seemed to stay on key
    He read the teleprompter without staring at it, and got most of the words right.
    He did not pitch forward and fall into the drum kit.
    He did not abuse the slide on Althea like it was a prisoner of war
    I thought he sounded pretty good for an old guy.

Fingers crossed he stays healthy 'til July, and we'll see what he brings to the table at the grand finale.

~syf

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I think Bobby is doing better then people think since his crash and burn. I think the time off did him some good.

I'm not much of a JM fan, but I thought he did a good job. It's weird to me to see a guy who looks like he just got off his job on Wall Street playing with someone from the Dead, but, I guess that's how he dresses. I didn't watch "Truckin'" all the way through yet, but "Althea" was a good choice. Bobby's slide playing was pretty tasteful.

Who was the rhythm section? I especially liked the bass player.

7. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Not sure who the bass player was, but the drummer was none other than the great Jim Keltner.

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Geez I miss deadheads. Sitting in the parking lot after a show drinking dollar keystone and having conversations like ^ this one.

9. stealyerface

The post-show re-cap in the parking lot was the topping on the sundae. Checking the set list against the other shows on the tour, and trying to figure out where we were gonna get a tape of this one

Searching the grounds for two hours, and finally finding Nate and Tanner passed out underneath the piss-trailer, surrounded by deflated balloons and whippet canisters, well, that was another part of the sundae.

That part was not quite as enjoyable.

~syf

10. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Thanks stealyerface,

You sure have me pining for the good old days.

and nice avatar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.