World War I Doughboy's Legacy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telegeekster, May 18, 2016.

1. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

I have in my possession a file bulging with every scrap of documentation pertaining to a U.S. World War I soldier: record of induction, discharge, and everything in between; maps of and visitors guides for his training camp and French battlefields; a yearbook for his division assembled in 1919-- among the photos is a 30-inch fold out panoramic image of the 53rd Infantry Division. There's a diary describing his travels and the names and addresses of men in his immediate unit. And lots more.

I appreciate suggestions for what to do with this stuff. One idea is to scan everything and assemble a book, with teasers placed on a blog every so often. I don't expect to get rich, but I hesitate to "give it away."

ThanKue...

Tazz3 and xafinity like this.
  2. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Assuming the soldiers family has no interest in the documents (or there is no family), you might contact the U.S. Army to see about donation to a museum that has WW1 displays. I doubt that there is much monetary value in those documents. (Of course my personal matra seems to be "buy high, sell low" so keep that in mind.)

tery and TeleTown like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Someone might in his platoon. My great grandpa got mustard gas and shrapnel in that one. WW1. I also had a great uncle that was one of the first American flyers over there using other peoples planes.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My grandfather was also in WWI and in fact posed for the statue in my avatar

tery likes this.
  5. Telegeekster

Very nice!
    Any thoughts on what to do with this stuff?

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I like the blog idea. Although donating it to a museum is always commendable, it would all likely get filed away in a box in some warehouse. Actually letting people benefit and learn from it via a blog would be great.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Most of the US divisions in WWI were National Guard divisions absorbed into the army, so they were each tied pretty strongly to the state they came from. I was going to suggest the state history museum of whatever state the 53rd was from, but E5RSY makes a good point about it possibly being filed away and forgotten. A blog is a great idea, maybe with the idea of eventually donating the original documents? Those have survived nearly 100 years, you should make sure they're preserved for the future by professional archivists.

My great grandfather was a Canadian Military Policeman during WWI who (fortunately for him) spent the war in Canada. Ironically it was his future wife who was wounded in the war, when an ammunition ship exploded in Halifax harbor in 1917 and leveled the city. It was the largest man-made explosion of the pre-atomic age.

Dan R likes this.
  8. E5RSY

Saw a show about that event recently. Incredible story.

Scott

9. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Our national WWI museum is located in Kansas City. Its known as the Liberty Memorial.

FYI...in case you are interested in contacting someone in an official capacity.

tery likes this.
  10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Yes make a book, the lady across the st i call my aunt
    He dad was in world war one.
    He craved an eagle with a knife
    On a silver army plate she still has it
    Its awesomw

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Is it unusual to have a file as complete as this? I would want to know how a library or museum would recommend how to proceed. A blog would be interesting and handy, but if this collection of documents is rare enough, WWI scholars (such as one of our members who is not as active now as he used to be) might benefit more from a formal acquisition and cataloging method that adheres to a research standard of some kind.

12. Telegeekster

Great answer, thx!

13. Telegeekster

Thank you!

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would scan and blog it. I would love to see the contents. I can't imagine it has a monetary value but personal accounts are wonderful historical records, especially when they're not written by those in large roles.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd try to track down the family. My great uncle was in WW I and was shell shocked. I would definitely want at least a copy of that stuff if it were his. Publishing it or looking for a museum are good ideas. Probably not a whole lot of value to it unless there is a tie to a famous event or person.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm with Larry F. It seems very complete, so maybe inquire at the Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/ for how to handle this kind of set of documents. What makes it valuable is for it's availability to historic researchers IMO.

17. Telegeekster

The soldier in question is my grandfather in-law. After my wife and I are gone, our daughter will be his only living descendent. Thx

18. E5RSY

What was the unit, again? From what state? Tried to look up 53rd ID, but no such American unit turned up (there was a French one). Was it 53rd Regiment, perchance?

Scott

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My father was a bombardier with the 8th AF in WWII and I have a ton of stuff he left me. I believe he saved every single flight order and mission description from
    training through his last mission (they were shot down).

I don't really want to keep all of this and talked to somebody in his Bomb Group who said they'd love to have whatever I could provide them because it's rare to find such a complete history. I just haven't sorted through the mountain of papers & photos yet.

There is likely a museum or historical association who would like to get a copy of your stuff.

20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

What about trying to locate surviving family members to see if they would have any interest? Although that might be a tall order trying to find them, if they even exist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.