World Series starts tonite, who's gonna win this?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Oct 22, 2019.

Who ya pickin,,,

1. Astros

51.2%
  2. Nationals

48.8%
  1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I am looking forward to a great game 7. So glad to see Rendon come through. If I NEVER see or hear Joe Torre speak again... that would be a tremendous gift. Strasburg was everything they wanted when they drafted him.

Tomorrow will be amazing. Altuve, Rendon, Correa, Soto.... will Max be okay? Will Greinke be centered... it will be worth watching!

RoscoeElegante and fendertx like this.
  2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

That was horrible. I had no idea Torre was still involved with MLB...and I'm still not sure what his involvement is other than some official position.

So many great players on both sides!!! I hope Max is good to go because the Astros batters are apex predators...i.e. little room for error.

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Astros win the series in 7.

Sherzer(?)will not be effective and the bullpen will falter.

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

You gotta love a Game 7!

Scherzer beat Cole in Game 1. Scherzer has the edge vs Greinke.

[​IMG]

Today's Starting Pitchers vs Opponents

Relief Pitching (most likely to appear) - the Astros have the edge. Cole will most likely make an appearance.

[​IMG]

P Thought likes this.
  5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think that awful call actually helped the Nats/hurt the Stros. It was a tight game and with the bitching about the strike zone still in the air, they Nats got really screwed on that call. I just think that galvanized their resolve to fight through it. They responded and the Stros couldn't take the punch.

The other pivotal moment was Altuve chasing the pitch in the dirt. That out was huge and the Nats really seized control from that point on.
    I am tired and ready for the series to be over, glad tonight is it.

P.S. JV is no longer invited to my Halloween party...Kate is welcome but not him

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I read “Joe Torre” but my mind inserted “Joe Buck” instead...

File Verlander in the Jim Harbaugh category.

Fantastic reps, overall great at what they do but - in the big games ?

They don’t show up. #inconvenienttruths
    #bigasterisks

getbent, Strato50 and fendertx like this.
  7. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I used to listen to his father Jack Buck call the Cardinals games on the radio. Now there was an announcer.

scrapyardblue and getbent like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I was expecting Houston to win in game 6. Game 7 should be fun, and I don't have a favorite...

getbent likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

My friends in Detroit called him Verloser...

Game 7 tonight should be a good one!

Capture.JPG

10. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Looking forward to something big tonight... Can't wait. Some points from so far-

Bregman is a good player, but a total asshat. He tried to pull some shenanigans last year with Nate Eovaldi slated to pitch, and Bregman proceeded to highlight Eovaldi giving up three homeruns prior to the game. Eovaldi proceeded to throw the ball 101mph, and send Houston packing. Bregman needs to tone it down. I love intensity, and honestly, would probably like him as a teammate... until his antics spin the tone of the game 180 degrees.

I was secretly hoping that Strass would dot him at his next at-bat. 96 between the shoulder blades. That is what he would have gotten from me.

Soto's bat-carry to first base was payback for the above mentioned nonsense. Not excused as such, but Bregman can certainly take some credit for the momentum swing.

The call at first base interference was wrong, and a blatant aborted mess of judgement. I am not sure how the home plate umpire makes that call when he had no idea of the strike zone, and that is three feet in front of him. We are getting closer and closer to robot balls and strikes, you read it here, and this World Series has done nothing to help the "human element" argument. I don't care about the human element. I want the correct-call element.

I would also like to make a point from a pitcher's point of view, and open it up for discussion...

Back in my day (yeah, I guess i am getting old) whether it was college or afterwards, there was definitely more of an unwritten rule, that how now transformed into the "let the kids play" mentality. Bat flips, slow trots, goofy antics at second base (stirring stew, alligator mouth chops, lassoing the pony, et al..) would NEVER have happened. You get a hit, a ringing double, an RBI in a big spot, and you ran to the base, maybe nodded towards your teammates, and did your work. Now, it is apparently acceptable to hit an RBI double, make deer antler horns with your hands, and pimp towards the dugout with some ridiculous nonsense...

So let's post this question. Guess what happens if there are bases loaded, two outs, and I strike out their number four hitter to get out of a huge jam, and in response I walk towards their dugout, get to the foul line right in front of their team, point at their team, take off my hat, drop it on the ground, and stand over it- rubbing my hands together above my hat, like I was warming my hands up at a campfire?

I'll tell you what would happen. If the other team didn't stream out of the dugout and beat me silly, my teammate would be wearing a fastball in his ear hole in the next at-bat.

Why is it okay for the offensive side of the game to grandstand and act like Haley's Comet has arrived again, but the pitchers (less a couple of stupid gyrations by certain pitchers) are not allowed to show up the hitters in a blatant "Look at me, I got you" display?

Edwin can run around the bases after a HR with his invisible parrot on his arm, and it is super cool.

I spin a fake pistol around my finger and holster it ala an old western movie, after a big strikeout, and we're brawling.

Either allow it all, or turn it off. I don't like it, I think it is disrespectful, and yeah, maybe I am an old codger these days, but I can tell you this...

Back in my day none of this stuff happened. And on the odd occasion it did show up, someone was going to wear a pearl.

~syf

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree 1000%, stealyerface! Today's young ball players are spoiled brats, and I blame management for it.

Quit the taunting and one-upmanship and just play the game!

If I were manager and my player carried his bat to first base, I would have been in his face when he came back to the dugout.

All the prancing "peacock-ery" does nothing but promote childishness!

Do your "talking" with your bat and glove and leave the childish behavior at home.

RoscoeElegante and Chip like this.
  12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i got 8 bucks on the Toronto Bluejays as a wild card.. its paying 3 million to one, so if one of the teams has plane trouble or someone super glues all their hotel rooms shut, I'm lookin to clean up...

anybody know where you can buy super glue in a 5 gallon jug that looks like floor wax???

scrapyardblue and RoscoeElegante like this.
  13. fendertx

Yeah Bregman was apologizing for that crap this morning. If your gonna show up the other team you better close the deal. Bregman want's to be liked and viewed as a good guy, but I think he has Macho/Bro/***hole DNA. When he did it, it made me nervous and Soto for sure did it as a clap back.

RoscoeElegante and stealyerface like this.
  14. chet again

Home field will finally become an advantage...

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Baseball has--or had--so many core but unwritten rules. It was very much an exercise in homage--to the game's difficulty and history, to how it humbles you enough to inspire and steel you, to the respect that the game itself and your teammates and your opponents deserve, etc.

So, now, with all the bat flipping, ego-primping, crotch-grabbing, etc., not only getting worse but encouraged by MLB's idiotic ad campaign--"We play loud, yo!"--it's like the pimps have paraded into one of the last bastions of dignity left in a quite rubbled culture. Invited there by last lingering authority, and glamorized by the TV camera. Mething up the mess, yo.

Thank Gawd the game itself is demanding and complex enough that it doesn't permit too many moments for the pimping. Yet.

So yeah: I'd fire a few Roger Maris crewcuts right at the tat-brats, bub. Make the bat flippers flop out of the way.

(Don't worry: My children have the Thorazine Squad on speed dial.)

VWAmTele and scrapyardblue like this.
  16. chet again

You don't think that they fact that the pitcher had to stand around for over 5 minutes contributed to Rendon hitting that home run?

Kind of a dumb call. The pitcher threw a bad throw and it shouldn't have been an out. The Met's did a similar play this year and it went uncalled.

Just askin'.

fendertx likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That home plate ump call at first base was unbelievable. Almost as bad as the call allowing the Rams to go to the Superbowl last year in lieu of the Saints. But this time the team on the wrong side of a bad call won out. WTF was he thinking? Who would make that call, even if he was marginally right, in a Series game? Much less when blatantly wrong. HB umps are the main reason I don't watch Baseball normally. You might as well just roll some dice on each pitch.

getbent likes this.
  18. fendertx

Yeah sure, the delay wasn't ideal. Regardless, the bad call went in the Astros favor. I don't want to be a homer and try to explain away the loss.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I grew up old school. My family was big on sports and we all played... I knew what was bush and what was 'classy' and adhered to that code.... UNTIL.... the world changed dramatically. We were commonly encouraged to 'fit in' and 'go along' and 'follow the rules' and 'get with the program'... but, the world discovered that the team, while nice, was made of individuals 'there may not be any I in team but there dang sure is I in wIn.'

Our whole culture has shifted. Interestingly, when studying young people, being part of teams and groups is MORE highly valued today than 20 years ago... but, the importance of individual distinction is MORE valued. The idea of 'influencers' and singular voices has become key and more democratized due to the advent of the ability to communicate this way (social media including things like forums.)

If I told my grandpa about our conversations on this forum, he would probably be frustrated with me and say something along the lines of 'why do you boys show off for each other, how smart you are... what makes you think your opinion is important enough to type up?' and he'd have a point....

We like to share, to speak and to be heard and to hear and to consider what other people think... but even in a very open and 'flat' place like twitter or this forum.... there is still the wish for hierarchy or maybe a meritocracy....

Today's players know the value of 'neon deon'.... Deon Sanders played a position that was relatively lowly paid and that got very little attention. What he did (intentionally, he has spoken about this) is draw attention to his role and how important he was in his role and he created the idea of the 'shutdown' corner. This was because he saw the money and fame Bo Jackson was getting and determined that he'd never make that kind of dough UNLESS his role was heightened.

Look at the difference in income and notoriety between Bernie Williams and Johnny Damon. One was relatively quiet and unassuming and the other was a 'STAR' and much more 'look at me'...

So, we can sit on the sidelines and wish for the days when beanballs would get tossed at guys for indiscretions like watching a home run for too long... or we can see that consumers want to know the players who are getting the attention... in the booth... who are the commentators? Arod (total jerk, look at me) Big Papi (umm, a big one for getting attention and shot) so.... the market has spoken and it likes bat flippers.... us old guys need to take a tip from the marines... adapt and overcome.

Tonight will be awesome... I think holding Scherzer out was a ploy.

fendertx and stealyerface like this.
  20. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Bent,

You know we are a kindred spirit, and I find this take very interesting....

I was a huge Papi fan, but nothing of that had to do with antics, or persona. It was simply, for me, clutchiosity. That's right, my own word for stepping up on the biggest of stages, the biggest of moments, and somehow, somehow goda**** , always coming through when it mattered the most.

I won't even give ARod a mention here. I just did, but that'll conclude that.

I, for one, will never give a pass to the look-at-me players. I will respect ability, and I will respect workload and the back of the baseball card stats. I understand the player will never care if he is liked or respected by me, as I mean nothing to his bottom line. But I can tell you great players in history that I would never pay to see at a Press Radio Dinner.

***edit***
    I am not going to hijack a thread about tonight's craziness with a bashfest. I'll just leave this one here.

Ricky Henderson. Ricky may love his Ricky, and Ricky may hay stolen the most bases in history, but the greatest thing that ever happened was Ricky stealing third base on the Day Nolan Ryan threw yet another no-hitter, essentially stealing Ricky spotlight. Baseball works in mysterious ways does it not?

That said, I understand the push for the younger crowd, and the younger crowd is all about the I versus the We. I get it, I see the metamorphosis happening, and I am happy that my time in the game happened before this wholesale change.

I realize I am the last of the dinosaurs, but I will lay down the glove knowing that I played the game as hard as I could, and that I played it the way I felt I should honour it.

Things change, people change, and attitudes certainly are new and fresh when it comes to selling jerseys and churning out the money.

I hope I never have to have the talk with my son on the car ride home, when he beats his chest after striking a kid out, or picking someone off with his Andy Pettite balk-move his old man taught him.

So far so good. And if he is lucky enough to play in college, he'll get the same speech I did from my dad the day my parents dropped me off Freshman year:

"I will try to make it to every game you play in, but if I can't, I want you to play like I'm there".

And I did.
    ~syf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.