WORLD CUP 2022.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve never watched a game in my life but when I arrived at deer camp last night my friend & his son had it on, so I sat down and watched. They explained a few things to me very clearly and I found myself really enjoying it. Incredible athleticism and play continues nearly uninterrupted so nonstop action; what the heck?! We switched over to the NFL game a couple of times and while I’m a big fan it was kinda plodding in comparison. Yikes!

I’m looking forward to catching some more of it today. I’ll remain an American football fan but was really surprised that I liked it so quickly. Never would have guessed that!
Football is a coaches game. Soccer is a player's game.

When I have to set up the stadium for soccer, I can tell who played last. If soccer, the benches are in a line so the players can see the field. If football, they're curved so the players can pay attention to the coach in the middle.

Bad technical error by Ochoa vs. Argentina. He didn't take off on his inside foot, which stepped across too much. As a result, he didn't get to the corner of the goal.

Last edited:

Patshep

Tele-Meister
Well being from the land of song and currently residing in the 'where are they now file' in England.... the Welsh never turned up against Iran although Iran did play well. Getting to Qatar was a major achievement in itself but I've found watching World Cups since 1970 you have to change tactics per match, meaning you can't play the same way against every team...as every team is different. England tend to do this too over the years. The USA have also come a long way since the 80's and are now a contender to qualify for each tournament due to major coaching upgrades in youth and college coaching and having players play in the top leagues in the world. My forecast for the final two matches...England will beat Wales and the USA will beat Iran...and so will qualify for the last 16.
Let’s hope. They should have beat wales, Canada lost today. Mexico and Costa Rica look terrible. USA is the only country in our region with a chance. And we can’t score goals

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I've just realised a potential international incident.
Australia v Denmark is on Wednesday, if it's even a draw and Tunisia don't beat France, then the Australians are through and Danes out.

A potential upset in the Royal House of Denmark.
I remember hearing a story back in 2006/7, when I had my first of many visits to Sydney.
The pub I was sitting in was the same place where the Crown Prince of Denmark met a Scots-Australian girl, a few years earlier, whom he ended up marrying.

As heir to the Danish Kingdom which includes the Faroe Islands and Greenland, the Crown Prince might get rather upset at the thought of his team getting an early flight home due to the exploits of his wife's team and in a petulant fit (as footy fans are known for), might decide to throw his toys out of the pram.

Bear in mind that Santa Claus lives in Greenland is therefore subject to the whims and privileges of the Danish Royal Family.
Potentially no visit from Santa this Christmas for Aussie kids, by petulant royal decree.

I wonder if the UN, UNICEF and a whole host of other NGOs might have to get involved to smooth things over.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
Our team is doing very well, finally started to play !
They played well last night; I've been envious as to how a country will a similar population size as Scotland can be so consistently high achievers in these competitions.
What's the secret?

I thought Juranović played well, he's been great for our club this season.
Sadly though, it looks like he'll be leaving in the transfer window for bigger and better things.
He more than deserves it.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
How would you change it?...
Copy-pasting the relevant reply from my reply in this thread:

2) Sometimes you need to be able to eliminate one of the teams if neither agrees to lay down and lose.
First there's time extensions. Fine. Then there's sudden death overtime. Ok. But then... penalty kicks!
Even though some(as in extremely few) goalies are somewhat adept at catching penalty kicks it's
still a game of chance, not skill! What's worse; it's a contrived situation that does not reflect the merits of
either team during the match
. I'll still allow the penalty kick-off though, but only after this step:
The statistic "shots on target" decides! That is, the amount of times a goal would have been scored
if the goalkeeper hadn't successfully blocked it. It took actual skill in the actual game to make those
shots happen. The team who made more of those would arguably be more worthy. Also, if this rule is
in place teams know that it's a possibility they will win by this stat. This will encourage gameplay that
racks up that stat. [Especially true for elimination rounds.]
And... if we have a drastic increase in shots on target, then we will have a much more
interesting game and maybe even a winner by the end of standard time.
[Statistically there will be an increasingly higher chance of goals being scored, the higher the SOT amount is.]

Last edited:

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Cameroon 3-3 Serbia.
What a game! The score doesn't help either team, but it was great early morning entertainment.
(I fell out of bed at 10am & just had time to grab a coffee - terrible, I know).
Some of the African nations are really showing the World how good they are.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I thought I did... 🤔

A blocked shot is a "shot on target".
If a "shot on target" wasn't blocked it would have been a goal.
I think the point was that if you give credit to a team for all the shots they had on target, shouldn't you also give equal credit to the other team for on-target shots that they blocked? You'd be unfairly favouring the "attacking" team in giving them the credit for a failed goal, rather than the goalkeeper for keeping it out.

I think that was what @trev333 was getting at.