Working on some simple band demos.....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by studio1087, Oct 7, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We're trying to record some very basic cover band demos. I have a Fostex MR16 that let's us record 4 mics at one time. We're moving mics around in a cinder block basement and recording the band and then exporting the 4 tracks to some free software to try to improve what we're getting.

It's been fun. It's pretty crude. The drums bleed into the other mics. We may put the drum set in the laundry room down the hall to try to isolate it. Is that how the pro's do it? Put the drummer in the laundry room?? :rolleyes:

Steve has the low voice. I have the higher voice.

Listen to Her Heart - Tom Petty (Steve and me - duet)

Give a Little Bit - Supertramp - that's me singing

Broken Hearted Savior - Big Head Todd and the Monsters - that's Steve singing

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Given the acoustics of the basement it sounds very good to me. Your higher vocal is strong. You could try isolation filters on vocal mics
    but in the basement it might not do much for the bleed overs.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I believe you are correct, drummers record in the studio laundry room. Really good acoustics....in the laundry room....in the studio. Bass players usually get stuck in there with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio1087 likes this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with what you have.

My $.02:

-Are you recording vocals live? If so, try doing a pass at the song instrumentally and then dubbing the vocals after. That frees up the track(s) you were putting the vocals on to do your drums in stereo (or whatever you decide), and also lets you concentrate on playing and not singing at the same time.

-Don't worry about the bleed, think of it as ambiance and make it work for you.

-Keep experimenting, you'll start discovering what works and what doesn't.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I think it sounds pretty darn good considering the conditions. Whats the purpose of the recordings? To score gigs? Seems like they would be succesful.

Drum bleed definitely takes away from the overall sound. Likely the only way to eliminate it is to track as much as possible seperately. For example, the vocals as mentioned above. Could the bass be recorded direct in? That way you just have drum mics and guitar mics in the one take.

studio1087 likes this.
  6. studio1087

The vocals are live. We have an Allen and Heath mixer on the table in the corner. We practice with the little mixer and two powered ALTO speakers. Our mics go into the Allen and Heath for recording and one line comes out of the Allen and Heath and it goes into recording channel One on the digital recorder. That’s out humble live vocal mix down.

l

The purpose is to help get gigs. None of us are big bar goers and we think that we need some good recordings to help sell us. We don’t hang out with any bar owners.

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

awesome man... I totally enjoyed it... give the bass player a hug, I like how he sounds!

studio1087 likes this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Neither do I!

studio1087 likes this.
  9. studio1087

I appreciate the kind words. I left the last band that I was in after about 4 years. The drummer left after I did. He’s a dear friend and we’re both in the new band. That’s him drumming. Great guy.

In the old band we did have a good thing going as far as bookings were concerned. The other guitar player’s wife was a very social person who knew lots of bar owners. She talked about the band a lot and found work for us. I’m not a bar fly and I doubt that bar owners think I’m cute. :p We need some sort of promotional help.

10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

sounds good to me. I believe Petty's records had bleed on them lol.

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.