Working in a very positive and uplifting environment.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 12, 2021.

1. gpw5150

gpw5150 TDPRI Member

upload_2021-10-12_21-34-9.jpeg

I don’t ask for permission, but I do ask for budget….and I am an exec board member! (CTO)

Coffeemutt likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My favorite slogan, at my last and final employer as a neon glassblower, was "Work smarter....Not harder".
    Neon glassblowing was, in a sense, like brain surgery......it simply can't be rushed or "fudged". You do it precisely and methodically.....and there's no way around that.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

John, I'm afraid your work place needs a visit from Dr. Rick.

JSMac likes this.
  5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It's great that you love it, and I sincerely hope that the love continues. It sounds like it's a refreshing change of pace for you. But, having encountered this type of set-up before, which is very common in the tech-entertainment space, it gives me the heebie jeebies.

The Corporation hasn't really changed. The Corporation has just grown out its hair and its sideburns, put on a polyester leisure suit and added the word "groovy" to its vocabulary.

pixeljammer, CharlieO, scook and 3 others like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

John, I think it's great that you're happy there, and obviously you're the best judge here regarding your work environment, but if it was me, I'd start replacing those posters with InspiroBot content. You can apologize later!
    woke.jpg
    shrinking.jpg
    play.jpg
    quotable.jpg

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

@studio1087 shared being happy at his new job and followed the pics or it didn’t happen protocol on the TDPRI, so that’s good news.

As far as the idea that one should hire unmotivated people, then hang up signs engineered to motivate them???

Is humanity really that bad off?

After 45+ years working I guess I kinda knew that about the masses!
    Bizarre to me though, I’ve seen workers on the job put as much energy into avoiding working, faking it or engineering an appearance of working, denying their own laziness and blaming others- all that takes as much energy as just doing the damn job which eventually leads to competence.

The flip side has been for me that I do my work plus lazy good for nothings work while having to decide if I’m so much of a company man that I tell upper management or the owner which workers are vastly under performing.

Notably and this supports my claim that under performing lazy bums work hard at avoiding work but still getting paid, I see the worst as being skilled in manipulating management into thinking the bums are hard working and good at their jobs.
    It’s called grooming.
    Charlatans do it.
    Child molesters do it.
    A fair portion of middle management grooms higher management into thinking they are doing their job, AKA blaming others for shortfalls.

I have no stats to back this up (curious if they exist and what they show) but I’m going to guess that more than half of workers try to get away with doing less or a minimum, while less than half of workers make the extra effort to exceed requirements and expectations.

Meanwhile upper management is so deluded or out of touch that they think motivational slogans will make lazy people excited to kick ass on the job?

In fairness to deluded upper management, I’m unable to grok laziness as a lifestyle.
    If one plays team sports, goes on a date, plays a musical instrument, or even goes out to dinner and a movie or live show, do we not want to go for at least a solid GOOD, if not GREAT?
    Baffling!
    I’m not that bright though...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    scook and Timbresmith1 like this.
  8. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

Nubs, _MementoMori_ and Skully like this.
  9. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

That's my chair! One of my best purchases ever.

I appreciate a good work culture. I'm glad those I report to are past that putting signs up and the slogans but they are very sincere about a workplace where everyone gets respect and poor behavior is called out.

Some not needing the signs might be natural. A lot of bad attitude is going away with the boomers going away. That's my cohort but I don't think I'm typical. Our exec staff are not micromanagers they once were and that helps.

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

All the troubles you've had to deal with....you kept that optimistic and humble attitude, John. Good to see the workplace is conducive- goodness knows, that's not always the case. Having the upbeat approach will sometimes turn an unpromising situation into something good, too.

Skully likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks like a place full of people with bad management skills. I have only seen this kind of of crap at my first job out of college in 1979. I learned a lot from that experience. Learning management skills is hard work, so only the lazy succumb to using cheap gimmicks.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you work piece work, or sales, you won't need any motivational signs. If you don't work, you don't eat, about all the motivation you need right there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

My former boss on my last job gave me an inspirational speech when I came to work at my last place of employment. The manager had hired me, but the owner made it clear: If you ain't cuttin' it in six weeks you're outa here. I was there fifteen years. The same boss who gave me the ultimatum, gave me a 500 dollar a month base pay increase ninety days after I went to work for him. I kept on being motivated, and they kept on bumping up my pay!

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

We'd have a thriving economy if that guy was running every company in the country!!

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Somewhere along the way, the work place managers became the same mom's that called to their offspring, it's time to get up sweetie, 300 times before they actually got up. There was a time, a job was a valued thing, you didn't need to be motivated, you were glad you had a job, and you did what you had to in order to keep it. Once again, I'm truly glad I lived when I did, in an adult world, inhabited by grown men, AND women!

I took a young man out of town with me to a tech school one time that was a week long. When I got up for the first morning of the school, I had to wake him up at least a dozen times before he actually got up. We had only been there one night, and his side of the room looked like a pig sty. We had breakfast, and I told him, clean up your side or our room, and in the morning, either you get up on your own, or you sleep in, then I'll put you on a bus home, and you won't have a job when you get there. That was all it took, a little motivational talk, and he was right as rain.

17. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

A lot of volunteer work in your preferred field

18. nojazzhere

Best.Motivational.Speech.Ever........(sarcasm alert!!!!)

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

Somewhere in the universe, on an unknown internet forum, there's someone telling the story of the mean S.O.B. that he went to a tech school with earlier in another career......and what a demanding jerk he was. I think this is how human interactions work now.....for every ONE interaction we now get TWO interesting forum stories. ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m freaked out by the know it all negativity. 80 million dollar company. 23 % ahead of year to date last year. Profit margins are up. 6 National locations. Lots of brilliant recent college graduates. I’m exited to go to work every day.

I like the wall art.

Screw off you negative people. Some of us are working together and digging it.

Losers who know everything. Back off into your trailer homes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.