Work Place Snitches (aka The Rat Patrol)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 6942, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ericrutters

ericrutters TDPRI Member

trust.jpeg

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Gripes should always go uphill.

Never downhill.

Never sideways.

As for "snitching", if it is done to keep somebody OUT OF TROUBLE it is okay.

If it is done to GET somebody into trouble...well that is the thing is almost universally reviled.

:)

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

snitches end up in ditches

4. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

There's a difference between gossiping and getting bitten because of it (your own damned fault for gossiping), and someone fabricating accusations to attempt to sink you.

If I've done something wrong and ultimately am punished for it, that's on ME, not the person who "snitched." If I've done nothing wrong, then I've got a serious issue with the accuser.

5. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

That's the big difference.

My wife has a problem right now, where her coworker just isn't doing the work. On one process that they do, my wife does about 15-20 a day, as does another person assigned to do that task from another department. My wife's coworker has done 4 for the week. There are lots of things like that. Now, you'd think their bosses would do something about the lazy employee, right? Nope, they instead have been chewing out both my wife and the other person all week, and giving my wife extra crap because they were behind due to my wife being out sick one day this week even though my wife still got all of her assigned work done on time.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Then there is the situation where a worker has a genuine respect, admiration and loyalty for an excellent manager, and has had an absolute gutful of the whining, whiteanting and troublemaking of a co-worker.

Seen that anyone. Confronting the lame arse co-worker doesn't necessarily stop their behaviour.

7. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly.

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Corrected the typo :lol:

9. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

I think I had something similar happen but I'm not sure. There are certain types of businesses that attract certain kinds of people, especially in sales. I was in the copier business on the service side for almost 20 years and dealt with some of the biggest low life's I've ever met short of used car salesmen.

The sales manager at the office I ran used to complain about the owner and his wife constantly. And rightfully so. His grandfather died and she wouldn't give him time off to go the funeral. The things he said about that woman would make a sailor blush.

So a few weeks later some stupid crap came down from the main office and I said to him, "Man, *soandso* is a ****ing moron.". He got this smirk on his his face and slouched down in his chair and didn't say anything. I thought it was kind of weird but I just went about my business. A few days later the ****ing moron drove down to our office and let me go. There were other things going on like the economy was tanking, and the sales department hadn't sold anything in over a year. Service is always the first to go when things get bad, not sales, and I had called them out on the things in my contract they put in writing that they reneged on.

So I don't know the real reason but it was a heck of a coincidence and this guy was notorious for getting off on firing people and getting people fired. I was there when he let one of the salesladies go that was 7 months pregnant. And miraculously they didn't get sued. :eek:

Anyway, looking back, leaving that place was a good thing.

I feel sorry for your wife. It's not like nobody ever does this. People talk about their bosses all the time. And usually, unless it's a chronic complainer, there is much truth in the loose talk going around. The other thing to worry about is who's listening from hidden devices. Are you 100% sure this person ratted and it wasn't heard by other means?

Shane

10. Boltneck

Boltneck Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, this is what some businesses encourage as a controlling tool. Keep gossip rolling and keep the drama going. Many people are afraid of lay-offs and cut-backs so the best way to look good is too see that everyone else looks bad...particularly if a worker is sub-par, they need to make-up for their lack by exposing others. Best you can do is to do your work and be extremely careful what info you share at work. My 2 cents

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I feel for some of you... your workplaces sound horrible.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been self-employed forever but I do recall that some years ago I said something very bad about myself and tried to fire me because of it but it didn't work. No one else would take the job! :cry:

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In this age of corporate gobbledygook and phony balony motivational franchises the fact remains: A team works much more effectively than a bunch of individuals filled with animosity toward management and each other.

I'm proud of the team I work with. Even though we all have had some difficult periods we try to support eachother. We have an agreement that if we can see room for improvement in eachother it's good to bring it out in the open and address it. Our clients aren't blind. They see our interaction and feel comfortable that their board of managers has chosen wisely.

I feel badly for anyone who has to work in an environment that spawns vindictive gossip because working conditions are so badly managed.

14. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

I keep to myself at work, just do my job and go home. I won't eat in the lunch room with the rest of the guys, all they do is gossip and complain, it gives me heartburn. I know they bad mouth me, but I really don't care what they think of me, they don't sign my paycheck :cool:.

15. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

I try to remember that the reason I am even at work is because my time is worth something and unlike many people I know I am lucky enough to have found a place that wants to buy it from me. Selling them a short load at full price seems like a fools game.

Bitching about the boss can be a productive use of the time if it is done correctly and to those that would care about their shortcomings enough to do something and have the power to do it. For the most part, those people are more concerned with bigger issues and swinging their gaze over towards the boss in question and yourself may lead to consequences worse than a bad boss (like no boss or a new boss or a pissed boss).

I just try to remember that my time is a commodity I am selling and try to keep the trade as fair as I can. If my boss wastes it through mismanagement (he does) thats his problem. I sold it fair and square, cashed the check and came back this morning to sell some more.

One more thing people- lets be careful out there.

16. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have always been an honest person with integrity ...

... and have been lucky enough to be able to take any concerns I have had directly to the people involved. I have been a public school teacher for 21 years, the last two as a "pseudo administrator" and have always talked directly and honestly to those I felt needed it, be it the superintendent, my principal, a central office administrator, whomever. Because I only "complain" when there's a legitimate concern, and not constantly, I have been taken at my word and the concerns taken care of, if possible.

I have learned from being a United Auto Worker, reporter and restaurant chef and manager among other things, that constant complaining produces nothing, nor does allowing yourself to be stepped upon. If you are straight up with people about legitimate issues when they need to be addressed, you can build a reputation of a straight shooter. Sniping about others has never been productive for me.

Just my $.02 ...

Peace.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.