Words to Live By

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Aug 20, 2019.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the absolute truth. I try very hard not to be hypocritical and when someone points it out I try hard to quickly acknowledge my failure. I try to keep humility close by and I very much despise conceit or boastful personalities. Sucks to be me...

verb boten and geoff_in_nc like this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The guy I learned piano tuning from, regarding putting on a new string.
    "Always keep control of the loose ends."

marcflores and nojazzhere like this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My drummer friend Jack regarding solos.
    "Just turn it around."

another favorite...
    "Just play the beat."

On me acquiring a new overdrive pedal.
    "That's just what we need...more distortion."
    :lol:

4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

It's not really a view at all, just trying to be clever with Larry's mistaken quote. :)

Dan

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

The Dunning-Kruger effect is absolutely and perfectly demonstrated by a certain boss I had a few years ago. Her favorite saying was
    "EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG!!!"
    I am paraphrasing her but her intent was that everything she knows is right and everything everybody else knows is wrong.
    She managed to run the business into the ground.
    I repeat this pithy saying under my breath when confronted by D-K these days.

Mark

An added note: the person I was wrote about above may have had a bad case of D-K, but she was one of the most giving and empathetic persons I've ever known. She would take in folks in need of a roof and feed all and sundry. Its easy to talk about helping the poor; she made a difference for a lot of people.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

about soloing specifically but is also general purpose

"when in doubt leave it out"

"you're always a just a half step away from a right note"

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  7. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh I dunno.... I think a person would be far suckier to hold the opposite view of you.

8. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I have 3 rules to live by:

1. Never pay more than $70 for shoes
    2. Always hold the door open for others
    3. ALWAYS return the shopping cart to the cart return

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

In the 6 or 7 years prior to my retirement I encountered examples of D-K frequently. In fact, much of senior management was afflicted. It seems like in today’s management it’s almost a prerequisite trait for promotion. I meet with a few of my former coworkers from time to time and they tell me it’s getting worse.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I adhere to the last two but i will spend more for comfortable shoes.
    My cardinal rule is to avoid people other than my family and closest friends. I am courteous and pleasant to a fault in public but i just can’t say that it’s reciprocated much these day. More belligerence and rudeness than i care to encounter.

Shuster likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I didn't want you to think I'm blowing you off. Your question deserves a well considered reply that was impossible to construct on my iPhone. I haven't had to write on a philosophical position since Dr. Barrett's Ethical Relativism course in 1970. First off, I understand your point so you're certainly smart enough to hold a reasoned opinion. To my way of thinking your point expresses an absolutist position. There is truth and there are lies. From that perspective, you are absolutely correct. But I don't see the world in black and white. That's why I see ignorance as the opposite of the truth. There are different versions of the truth. If you don't believe that, think of arguments before the Supreme Court. For some, truth is what they're told to believe, even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Ignorance makes it impossible for those folks to distinguish between fact and fallacy. So they hold to untrue beliefs. Are they lying if they express them in public? I'd say, no, but their not lying doesn't make what they say truthful. So I agree with you that a lie is an intentional repudiation of the truth. Is a lie the opposite of truth? In some cases, yes. In other cases, what some of us would call out as a lie is based on ignorance.

A greater conundrum is ignorance versus stupidity. An unintelligent person bears no responsibility for what he is unable to know. He has no choice in the matter. An ignorant person chooses not to know. Ignorance blinds a person to what is true and makes it impossible for that person to discover and understand why something else is a lie. I don't expect that I hold a popular opinion, but it fits well with my worldview. I live in the world of quantum mechanics where reality is an endless string of probabilities and nothing is absolute.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I always thought that was a Pee Wee Herman song.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this begs the question--> do you enjoy Muddy Waters' 'Mannish Boy'

beach bob likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never say "HEY, WATCH THIS!" before attempting anything stupid or dangerous. The same goes for, "Hold my beer".

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have always imagined being rich beyond my wildest dreams which isn't easy come to think of it, but so far....

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

1. No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.

matrix, Tonetele, Skamania and 3 others like this.
  17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

Be mindful of the difference between caring about something (being willing to act on it and sacrifice for it) and wanting to broadcast an opinion about something - especially in yourself.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I think I understand SOMEWHAT what you're saying, but perhaps some of my "definitions" are different from yours. I don't see the world in only black or white.....there are many shades of gray. There are rarely (if ever) different versions of "the truth", although there can be differing opinions of that truth. The same can be said of lies, which are simply the opposite of truth, although not always in a pejorative way. Arguments before the Supreme Court are not intended to be absolute truth....they're intended to sway a verdict in favor of one side or another. "TRUTH" has nothing to do with it. Ignorance MAY make it impossible to determine fact or fiction (lie), but that lack of knowledge doesn't legitimize "un-truth".....it simply isn't true. Now, opinion can alter perception of truth, and that's where the "gray areas" become evident, but we need to be able to tell the difference between "truth", "lies" and "opinions".....and I agree too many people can't do that.
    I know nothing of your world of quantum mechanics, so I would argue (out of ignorance) that possibly what is called "fact" or "truth" in that field is only "current belief". Forgive me a simplistic (and obvious) argument, but before Copernicus, it was generally accepted that the Sun revolved around the Earth. But the TRUTH never changed.....only opinion of what was true. And as to your statement "An ignorant person chooses not to know", I would counter that an ignorant person simply DOESN'T know.....if they choose not to believe after being shown the "truth", THEN they are no longer ignorant.....they're STUPID. ;)
    At any rate, we're not going to resolve this on a guitar forum, so we might as well follow Pete Townshend's advice to "...pick up (our) guitar and play, just like yesterday, and get on our knees and pray.....we don't get fooled again." :)
    Best wishes.

JL_LI likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Wherever you go, there you are.

A wise man said that sometime. I think it was back in the '80s.

20. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Everything happens for a reason.

If it's not going to matter in 5 years, don't spend more than 5 minutes worrying about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.