Words of wisdom from Marty Stuart

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hatfield92, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I had the opportunity to see Marty and his Superlatives tonight at a small theater in Clearwater. It was my second time seeing them, and man, what a sound. I defy you to show me another four piece that can do what they can do with textures, vocal harmonies and overall sound.

Anyway, Marty did a signing after the show, and I got him to personalize my Way Out West LP. I told him my name and that he’s one of my primary guitar influences, which is true.

His reply: “That guitar, man. It never ends.”

The more I thought about it, the more deep I realized that one liner was. It’s true. Nobody can ever really completely master the instrument. It will give back to you exactly what you put into it, but no matter how much time and effort anyone puts into it, there’s always more to learn.

Marty Stuart, guru.

scrapyardblue, KWal, hdvades and 35 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Super classy guy, that Marty!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    tery, Bassman8, Chip and 5 others like this.
  3. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

This last month I have been watching the PBS story of County Music series on Public television - I love it - and I'm a old Classic Rocker- after watching the program, Marty NOW- gets my full respect as a picker and as a deeply devoted Country Musician - last year he came to Los Angeles - I was offered free tickets - I did not even want to go - as I knew NOTHING about him - other then he has that famous B-bender tele from the Byrds and he uses it onstage. today I could KICK myself!

4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I’m glad to see he’s starting to get more appreciation thanks to the Burns doc.

This was my second time seeing him. Last time being in Louisville on the Way Out West tour. I’d wanted to for years before that, but it never quite worked out.

I recognized early on that this guy is a real one off. Equally comfortable playing authentic country or bluegrass or classic rock or blues. It’s all there.

Check out the Compadres album he put out, which is a compilation of his collaborations. There’s a song he does with BB King, and he just tears it up. All the while sounding like himself.

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Marty is a wonder. Love his music and from all I've read he must be a great guy, too.

Btw what he said about the guitar applies, I think, to every aspect of human life that captures our attention, and certainly to every form of art.

nojazzhere, stevemc and Hatfield92 like this.
  7. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Going to see him and his band in Knoxville in a couple weeks. I think I’ve watched every video on YouTube a dozen times at least.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

My favorite clip is of them performing the Marty Robbins classic El Paso. Note for note. A real homage. Masterful. I got to see them do it live in Louisville, which was a real treat, maybe the greatest performance of a single song I’ve ever seen live.

But they didn’t do it last night. The set list was very similar to last time, but this being the Pilgrim 20th anniversary tour, there was a hearty dose of tracks from that album. They’d also done a killer honky tonk version of Petty’s “Runnin’ Down a Dream” last time that didn’t make the cut this go round.

9. Dr Kensington

Dr Kensington TDPRI Member

Having grown up in bluegrass I have been acquainted with Marty's acoustic work since the beginning. After stumbling into the electrified world I felt a little guilty. But Marty (and Clarence White, Vince Gill and Dave Bromberg) showed me you can do both..

Check out youtube for Marty and Kenny ripping up Country Boy Rock on Roll on Dave Letterman

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'll try to take Stuart's words to heart. He certainly has a way with music, that few people ever attain.

I still think he could be great, on virtually any musical instrument. But maybe he's right. Maybe it isn't too late for me to make progress once again on guitar. I do keep going back to it.

P Thought and Hatfield92 like this.
  11. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister

I'm glad to hear he put on a great show as I'll be seeing him tomorrow night in Pensacola. I caught the Way Out West tour in Birmingham about a year and half ago and just loved it. I'm glad my wife will be able to go with me this time.

Chip and Hatfield92 like this.
  12. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

It's been 11 years since I last saw Marty in concert - and that was the day/evening that the band I used to be in opened for him in Hiawassee, Georgia on July 17, 2008.

That was also the first and only time I got to play "Clarence" (and literally only minutes before he was to start his show that night)! But he actually took the time to take the three pictures that I have of me with "Clarence" and I'll treasure that memory forever even if it winds up being the last time I was able to see him perform live.

Marty is truly a treasure - an elder statesman (if you will) and a throwback to the sound of what country music should be, IMO! And we who have encountered his greatness are (or should be) all the better for having done so.

13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i am not a country fanatic but,marty has been on my radar for a while now.very cool and knowledgeable guy.

Telecastoff1, Bassman8 and Hatfield92 like this.
  14. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Marty is a great musician and appears to be a pretty good human being.
    jmo.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

1000% agree. BB King pretty much has a similar statement, that it would take several lifetimes to master guitar, if ever

Thanks for this awesome reminder

Marty is one of the best ever!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Always worthwhile for any musician to see Marty and the Superlatives.
    The band is excellent, lot lot of talent.
    They are very entertaining--Marty knows every country schtick there is--and they back it up with pisser playing.
    Five stars, every time.

DaveGo and Hatfield92 like this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

boy howdy

Marty Stuart and The Fabulous Superlatives.jpg

18. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

That's cool!

I've had the good fortune to see Marty quite a few times over the last 30 some years. Always a great show. His mandolin playing is, for my money, the best. Love it when he does a solo mando tune. Always blows the place away. And he always has time for the fans. The Sweetheart of the Rodeo show was a highlight of concerts, for me.

He calls Kenny "the best guitar player in the world"....love his playing alongside Marty's.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Was supposed to go see Marty, Connie and 'em at that State Fair there in Town County, in 2012 I think it was. Sadly, we couldn't make it. That would be a cool place to see them, since Asheville and Chattanooga are just so far away.

Hatfield92 and tonytrout like this.
  20. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

And Kenny calls Chris Scruggs "the best guitar player in the band." ;)

Here ya go:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.