1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Woody James tele...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by gregulator450, Nov 30, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A friend of mine just texted me these pics of a Woody James tele he got on trade. Says it plays wonderfully and feels very high end. All he could find out about this Woody James guy is that he used to build guitars in Ohio and has since passed on.

Since this is the authoritative location for all things tele, do any of you guys know anything about Woody James guitars?

Thanks!

219759.jpeg 219760.jpeg 219761.jpeg

Danb541 likes this.
  2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Yep. He passed a few years ago. He had a shop in town called Ohio Music. Guitars are made in China, Woody himself MAY have set it up when it came in. He kept a neck on a jig, in plain view for all to see, with some sanding blocks etc. When he first opened up, he tried to tell me he made them all himself. He was a first rate shyster/salesman. Most of 'em on the wall were priced about $499 - $599.

He had a lot of used gear that was fun to peruse.

Then he told me he was David Crosby's personal tech, and that he was in the ONLY certified Neil Young cover band. Neil HIMSELF certified it.

He sold my (ex)wife a butchered Early 90's Pro Jr that he had "modded". He had tried to repair a trace with nail polish and graphite or something. I ended up rewiring the whole power section, replacing the OT. I'm grateful because that was how I got started building amps.

He did bust out a SWEET version of Ohio though, that was pretty damned good. Worth the price of admission. Then, he made his shop into a wine bar, live stage, and guitar shop. All in one. It actually was pretty cool, and I was sad to see it go. Lot of local musicians played there.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    old wrench and Crobbins like this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool, thanks for the info!

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Well, @Commodore 64 pretty much said it all :).

We're damn near neighbors Commodore!

I've been living a little south of Cleveland in Medina County for several years now. I was actually born in the south-east part of Cleveland on Corlett Avenue. John Adams H.S. was to the west at E. 116th St. and Corlett Elementary was to the east at E. 131st St. I've got a couple of friends who live in the neighborhood and nowadays, it's a pretty tough part pf the city.

Last time I looked on the local CL, there was a Woody James tele for sale.

The last time I dropped in to see Clyde at Timeless Guitars (it's been probably a couple of years now) they had one used WJ tele guitar for sale and one WJ used tele neck for sale. The tele had a good setup and played OK, but wasn't for me. For the right price, it would be an OK guitar.

I did scope out the neck pretty well and came to the conclusion that it wasn't anything special or out of the ordinary. Kind of typical of the earlier examples of run of the mill Chinese necks along with a set of no-name tuners, but the frets were dressed up and the edged were rolled a bit and softened. Again, OK but it wasn't for me.

I stopped by Woody's place in Kent once to see what he had going on, and it was my impression that he portrayed and pushed these guitars as a "boutique brand". He was a salesman ;).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Commodore 64 likes this.
  5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That was smart, drunk people will buy anything

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.