1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Woodworking tool, gift for a friend

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by brogh, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Don't waste any money on dead blow hammers. The dead blow p[art is a myth. The centrifugal force on the hammer makes the shot move to the face. I had one before, and it was years later, looking at swinging sticks and bats, that I realized why the idea does not work. A good soft faced hammer is a handy tool, however.

2. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Don't overlook spokeshaves, either. Very handy for body contours, and they leave a very fine surface, once you're used to it, unlike rasps. And a high quality blade is a must for these.

3. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

Don't overlook spokeshaves, either. Very handy for body contours, and they leave a very fine surface, once you're used to it, unlike rasps. And a high quality blade is a must for these.

4. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

That's a back saw, and those are pretty much for crosscuts. Japanese saws cut on the pull stroke, so the back reinforcement isn't necessary, as the blade is under tension on the cutting stroke, Since he does smaller work, then maybe a nice piece of some exotic hardwood, or a gift certificate from a local exotic lumber store might work. They usually have some tools, also. I'd avoid Rockler, s they have terrible customer service. Garrett Wade has gone downhill, too. Woodcraft is a bit pricey for wood, but Gilmer, Tropical Exotic Hardwoods, West Penn Hardwoods and Hearne are all pretty good lumber suppliers.

5. BigToe

BigToe TDPRI Member

Most woodworkers nowadays like to take pictures or videos of their work in progress. Something that allows you to clamp your cell phone or camera to any surface is quite handy. You can search ‘magic arm’ or flexible tripod.

6. aiaosu

aiaosu TDPRI Member

Based on your description, I would say clamps. Another helpful tool that I got years ago that isn't very expensive and handy for cabinets and things like that is a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig. There's different sets so you could get a smaller set to see if he likes it or not.

erobillard likes this.
  7. radguitars

radguitars TDPRI Member

How bout a nice small bronze spoke shave for carving necks. Heirloom quality for $100. I love mine! 5874C3A5-BDF1-4C3C-993D-3DC3F7FACE75.png

8. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Japanese cabinet maker's saws.e.g, dozuki and ryoba saws, make for a lovely gift and they usually come packaged in awesome storage boxes.

erobillard likes this.
  9. ChicagoFats53

ChicagoFats53 TDPRI Member

How about a small trim router?

10. ChicagoFats53

ChicagoFats53 TDPRI Member

Never have enough clamps!

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

12. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

As a woodworker with family and friends in your same position every year, the best tool I think you can get a woodworker is a Starrett ruler or small square.

It's the one thing many of us can't bring ourselves to buy because cheaper alternatives are available. But they're always held out as the gold standard for good reason. And anytime a woodworker or machinist has had to question their measurement, I'd bet $$ they are kicking themselves for never investing in a great one. A Starrett is the best kind of gift: something you always wanted but probably won't buy for yourself.

Alternatively, gift cards to Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen are always welcome. I would not buy anything with a blade. Saws, chisels and planes are all too personal.

Alamo likes this.
  13. Southpa

Southpa TDPRI Member

"Deep in wood stuff" covers a fair area, is he building furniture or guitars? And how much are you prepared to spend? I would suggest a Dremel tool with an assortment of accessories and bits.

14. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

image.jpg
    Jorgy’s!

15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

I would say that’s a win for the stuff that he’s doing my buddy has one of those and he loves it and I would love to have one too, they’re fast little back/pull saws.

17. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

image.jpg Or you could make him some... i’m just kidding around but I was just in the middle of loading this up to the tool forum.

18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Things you can make:

- Marking Gauge
    - Marking knife
    - Try square
    - Winding sticks
    - Mallet

Many others as well.

19. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hi

Thanks to all for the great suggestions it might come handy in the future, in the end after some back and forth I decided for a Japanese saw, It sadly arrived a bit late but he was very happy with it and cut a piece of wood right away :) I got him one of these, which from what I learned was more or less the right size for him.

He was happy so I'm happy too :D

Again thanks to all for the suggestions, you might consider it as a gift, I learned a lot on the many uses that those saws have .. seems to be a good tool to have :)

cheerios

[​IMG]

old wrench and Alamo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.