1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Woodworking tool, gift for a friend

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by brogh, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

A good rasp came to mind.

It's the kind of tool that is surprisingly expensive and seems like a real splurge, but also a "where have you been all my life" and "oh, this is how they're *supposed* to work" kind of tool.

2. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

If you can work out which batteries his cordless tools use and he does not have 2 for each tool then another battery would likely be apprecqiated.

brogh and LeftFinger like this.
  4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Sounds like your friend is more into power tool woodworking than hand woodworking, but one of the most useful tools in my home workshop is a block plane. I’ve used mine (I have several) for everything from rough carpentry to delicate models. Lie Nielsen has a little bronze block plane that is not only useful, it’s a thing of beauty:

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/small-block-planes?path=block-planes&node=4072

Lee Valley has some beautiful block lanes, too.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Gift card or a few rolls of quality sandpaper various grits.

DC

LeftFinger likes this.
  6. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    thanks To all for the replies :) !!! great ideas all along I'm gonna see if i can find something that he might need with his wife complicity :p.

for what I've figured as said before, he is into small stuff, he doesn't have a table saw or better .. he has a proxxon mini table saw which allows him to do all the stuff he needs, same goes for the other tools, all mini stuff but all of them....., other than that, the essential home tools to do fixing around the house and a router.... the electronics lab doesn't need a thing :p

I'll get over the suggestion but as of now i'm really not incline on a gift card so that he can get what he eventually will need but ..... usually i don't do ( and like ) that...

I think that if you want to give a gift to someone you do that because you love them in some way, imho a gift needs to be "thought" and useful and you need to put a little effort & thinking into that, so i'll leave the gift card as last resort :)

the saw I posted before was suggested by someone who knows thigs guy, thought he might actually have a great use of a small one as they cut very precise and easily.

I'll let you know what i've got him :)

thanks to all for the advices !

7. Warren01

Warren01 Tele-Meister

chisels

brogh likes this.
  8. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Last minute Update, he is actually working on " desk sized " wooden tool drawers & cabinets for his tools :)

9. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

You can't have too many Wood Planes ..... or can you?
    PlaneTruth.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

Direwolf, Wallaby and telemnemonics like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My inclination is to give a fine antique tool like a nice old Stanley jack plane.
    That's just where my head goes though and not all recipients "get it".
    I also buy them when I see a deal so I have some in stock and just need to clean one up and maybe give it a new iron.

11. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

If your friend does a lot of small stuff, he might appreciate one of these -

[​IMG]
    It's a Bridge City Toolworks mini square.

That bottom plate is held securely to the square with those three magnets you see, making it real similar to a junior-sized Swanson Speed Square.

The cool thing about it is that with the movable plate on the bottom, you can use it like a speed square or lay it completely flat against a flat surface.

I treated myself to one and I use it all the time. Very handy for guitar work :).

I paid about $15 bucks for mine.

12. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If he has a porter cable router. A porter cable deluxe dove tail jig. Comes with mini dove tail template
    plus 2 more templates bits guides.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You cannot beat a Lee Valley gift card for someone who loves woodworking... ;)

Direwolf, LeftFinger and old wrench like this.
  14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone has told you to get him a Lee Valley gift card but if you insist on buying a piece of hardware here are some ideas. You also didn't say what your budget was (or I missed it) so I'll start a bit high and go down

My son (who is a wood worker) built me a small wooden tool box for my small tools. This is a commercial version

https://www.garrettwade.com/gerstne...ej8gfq1K-5zoUtVN1mRIxI2YFw-c405RoCx5YQAvD_BwE

Mine sits proudly on my work bench and houses my measuring tools and other small things.

Second would be a heritage grade hand tool - I would say a Veritas plane but there are others

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...nes/bench/46294-veritas-number-4-smooth-plane

A set of the best chisels you can buy. Many of us have lots of rusty dull chisels that sort of get the job done, buy your friend some really nice ones

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/chisels/bench/69619-veritas-o1-bench-chisels

A violin plane

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...T89iDWuNvPFM6CY4c3YuH0ShVIIuKboxoC5dgQAvD_BwE

Quality measuring tools. A nice micrometer or calipers, Sterrett rule

https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/C305R-24

One of the handiest tools in a guitar builder's shop is a set of Forstner bits. They range i price all over the spectrum, these seem like a bargin

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in...yTX2Y9Tz3wBxe5QBcNQw3GTXcPkyPnxBoC7REQAvD_BwE

If your friend is into guitar building (must be why you are asking here) get some guitar specific tools - good fret or nut files, a binding router setup. I wouldn't have normally bought my 24 inch fret leveling beam but someone gave me one - I use it all the time.

I would be over joyed to receive any of the above, but a nice gift certificate would be welcome too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Jim_in_PA likes this.
  15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Has anyone mentioned a Lee Valley Gift card yet:lol::lol:

This is by far my favorite gift as no one can buy tools for me.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I can only speak for myself but as a recipient of " stuff" that I never wanted and never used, unless you have a specific item in mind that your friend mentioned, I'd go the gift card route. Woodcraft or Rockler would allow in person or online purchases. Buying specific things is just a shot in the dark, while a gift card is a sure thing..now or later.

jkingma and LeftFinger like this.
  17. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

LeftFinger likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A really nice shop apron is another good gift choice.

Many woodworkers don't use one, and when they finally do spring for one they kick themselves for not getting one years ago.

LeftFinger likes this.
  19. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

ding ding ding we may have a winner
    If not
    • "Lee Valley Gift Card"

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  20. Robert Graf

Robert Graf TDPRI Member

For woodworking, my all time favorite gift is a Shinto (Japanese saw rasp). Very handy tool fort all kinds of work, and will produce a pretty smooth surface, as well, once you get used to it. I've had one for about 4 decades now, and it's the only tool I ever received as a gift that I love. Great for rough carving and even flattening.

shinto.jpg

After that, I'd say something like a nice marking knife of gauge. And, as others have mentioned, Lee Valley/Veritas is a good source for some nice tools. I really like the Veritas router plane, and the spear point chisel I got from Japan Woodworker. Very handy for quick, precise work. Chisel Router.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.