Wooden outdoor dining furniture

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Sep 29, 2020.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I am looking for a wooden outdoor dining set to sit 6. We eat outside 85% of the time
    I’ve given up on powder coated metal furniture that begins rusting in 2-3 years
    My budget is under $2,000.00, preferably. I’m looking for quality over price. Also, no glass tops

I’m doing some research and thought I’d enlist the brain trust of the TDPRI in my search. If you don’t feel comfortable putting a company name on here please PM or email

Treehouse likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

These eastern cedar chairs and table (made in
    Canada) have never been treated and sit out in the rain and snow for about twenty years and still look pretty nice and used daily through the non winter seasons. Very comfy for being unpadded.I bought them at ACE. I would buy another set if I ever see them again. IMG_2781.JPG

Treehouse, TwangToInfinity and scook like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I believe this is a get what you pay for regardless of metal or wood.

Around 25 years ago my wife got a quality metal set, and some clone items that match it over time. However the original was painted or powder coated, it's still fine. The clone items of different brands started rusting in 1-3 years.

Packing up the cabin for the year I realized a quality wood chair and some clones my father in law got are a the 25-30 year old chair is still solid. The rest started deteriorating in a few years.

You might have extra challenges on the Island - choice, competition, freight costs. We're in a sizable metro area and other bigger cities a reasonable rive. You might not have the sellers and enough competition to find stuff let alone times to find bargains.

rz350 likes this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Teak. No maintenance.

Ricky D. likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Buddy of mine got some good stuff from Costco last year.

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

That's a tough one. Wood furniture that lasts and is also cheap is hard to find. It's all about the wood species. White cedar lasts 10 years, but will deteriorate. If you can find Tallow wood (Eucalyptus microcorys), it lasts forever, but it's mostly from Australia. Teak and true Mahogany are good, but expensive.

7. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

For wood, you want Teak or Mahogany. Quality powder coating lasts for decades. The cheap stuff, which is usually just painted, doesn't.

None of these are the cheapest options in the short term.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Mate we live, eat and cook outdoors from now till Easter. Get some cushions for your bum.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wood probably needs more up keep than any of it, unless you get a teak set like from Costco etc. But I think those days are maybe gone with the teak shortage? And teak wont degrade much but it does get ugly over time also.

Plastic
    Steel with good coating lasts long enough for the price. IMHO

10. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

I think this cost me about $75 at Home Depot about ten years ago. Still fully functional.

[​IMG]

tery and Treehouse like this.
  11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

oh wow i really like your setup Obsessed! ceder is great i have a swing couch thing with the cedar that turned silver like that and looks awesome bugs stay away from it and stays pretty clean outside, and like you say, comfy without padding.

that said i have some aluminum chairs and tables that are great , look good never rust and sit out in harsh conditions, after a few years when the shiny clear coating bakes off i just spray on some outdoor poly again and bang, shiny again

12. stxrus

I’m looking for a dining set. Table and six chairs. I don’t mind paying for quality and have a budget around $2,000.00

Aluminum corrodes here just as metal rusts. Hell, even plastic rusts here

I found some teak from Vietnam that looks promising. I know the upkeep of teak is a bit of a PITA from owning a sailboat with lots of teak

I’ll post some pictures in a bit when I first noticed the rust and todsy

13. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I absolutely cannot recall what it cost, but we had a set made of Eucalyptus that Aged very well until my FiL decided it needed paint and covered it in oil paint, which sealed in all the moisture and it rotted in 18 months. Was told by my high-grade furniture-maker amigo that Eucalyptus is very similar to teak in most respects.

Good Luck.

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I recommend plastic ...

Cheaper, and less maintenance ...

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

About 10 years ago we redid our deck with Trex (just a brand of composite material...there are others). It's not technically wood, but it looks like wood, and it still looks just it did then despite us not doing a thing to maintain it! Anyway...I notice that they are now making outdoor furniture out of it too.

16. stxrus

C73D60D9-9227-4124-962D-FCD89E7BE86E.jpeg 886BCE6A-B60C-4638-9423-A31861AE32AD.jpeg 886BCE6A-B60C-4638-9423-A31861AE32AD.jpeg 3DF83FE7-7BA7-44E1-8D10-A6BFBABC2022.jpeg
    the first image was in April 2019
    The rest were a few minutes ago

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

teak... got some stuff here, i’ve sanded and oiled once in 20 years.. and I’m in rainy britain.

rangercaster likes this.
  18. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I got an outdoor dining set a couple years ago - probably from Overstock or Wayfair, some big online thing. I believe it is sold as Acacia, which is supposed to be a cheap teak alternative. It is definitely not teak, but nice enough. We got the kind of set that is a bench, four chairs and a table rather than 6 chairs, but they had both options. It was probably $600-800 if I remember right.

I did a light sand to remove the factory finish when it was new and put two coats of Sikkens Cetol on it. Looks good as new now, I'll probably recoat it every couple of years. If you don't mind staining now and then you don't need to spring for teak.

Of course, I have a set of 20 year old teak adirondack chairs that each weigh and cost as much as the whole dining set - I couldn't bring myself to pay for the real deal this time!

19. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

My wrought iron set - table and four chairs - was purchased in the 1930s by my parents.
    It was our breakfast table thoughout my childhood and I ate thousands of meals on it.
    (To avoid confusion, I wasn't on the table, the fud was.)
    Later my mom moved it to the patio were it lived for thirty years.
    It currently serves as my workbench with a piece of 3/4" plywood on top to protect the glass top.
    So, I recommend wrought iron.
    No rust except were a brace was welded in below the seat of one of the chairs many years ago.

M

20. stxrus

I found a set with a Teak table and Acacia chairs for under a grand + shipping.
    Sikkens is a good product.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.