1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

woodeater

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by gfenderman, Sep 21, 2010.

1. gfenderman

gfenderman TDPRI Member

I'm supprised at all the P/W benders I see still being installed these days. Is it cheaper than a non visible bender, I would think removing so much wood could change the tone a bunch. I've heard balance isn't an issue, but I was just wondering if price was the motivation to install this style? Can someone enlighten me?

2. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Glaser B Bender put in my Tele back in the early 90's. I liked it. I eventually tried a PW style and liked it better (smoother, more controlled bends). I finally had Dave Evans put a Pull String in my #1 Asat. For me, it's the top of the line. Complete adjustability of tension and pull length. Short throw, long throw, anything in between.
    The removal of the wood did not change the tone one bit.

I'm just not crazy about the "lever" type pull on the Glasers. Just does not seem as flowing or as smooth. It's all personal preference!

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a PW. I have the guitar to play... so whether it appears to have a bender or not, I'm not playing hide and seek, I'm playing telecaster guitar.

All of the benders are cool, I played a hipshot for a long time, I've played glasers, my buddy has an Evans.. there isn't a 'better' on these things.. if you've actually owned and played them.. they are all pretty and capable girls...

I had Brian Friend install my PW.. he did a beautiful job and after a couple of years, I'm getting pretty good on it... I don't know if gigs would be as fun without it and the nights we don't have a steel player... I"m not worried....

I picked a PW over the others and Brian as the installer because Brian loves Clarence and Bob Warford's music even more than I do and I wanted Bob, Clarence, Bernie Leadon (yes I know about the Evans) sound and style.. and I knew Brian would put love into it...

The other fellers doing benders are also awesome and given the dough, I'd buy one and be honored to be connected in any way with each of them.... the bender community is small, small, small and if we are guilty of anything it is mutual respect and love for the style we value.

So, if you come to the bbender forum looking to stir up 'this guy is better than that guy' you won't make many friends. There is room for all of us and for all of us to be friends...

I'm thinking if Clarence were alive, he'd have one of each and try'em all and knock back some cold ones and a bbq sammich with anyone with enough skill and sense to build a bender...

as for enlightening you.... they all feel different, not everyone buys on price and guitar players don't all like the same thing. I am thankful everyday that there are so many great choices in the bender world and a small but industrious group of builders who all deserve their fine reputations.

4. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well said, GB! Thanks for putting the "butter on the bread"!

5. gfenderman

gfenderman TDPRI Member

you way over react dude. it was just a question, and that was it

you way over react dude. It was just a question I'm out of here!

6. Dogbear

Dogbear Tele-Meister

Sorry to see you go......... Short answer to your question is everyone likes something different, it's how you use it that counts, removal of the wood is offset by the weight of the bender, and absolutely no change in tone........ with the exception that some say the guitar sounds better....

7. guitarnyc

guitarnyc TDPRI Member

I haven't given any thought into the removal of wood when I thought about getting a bender tele. I actually feel better about those for some reason. It's what always comes to mind when I think of a B-Bender etc.

I'm a complete newbie to these (months) and I've got to ask....what is P/W ?

8. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Parsons/White style B Bender

9. guitarnyc

guitarnyc TDPRI Member

I see....thanks Brian. That's the style I like :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.