Wood Guitar Picks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 1, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I was recently introduced to a small company that produces wooden guitar picks by hand from many species of wood. I ordered a few to try.

Has anyone ever used wooden guitar picks? What are your thoughts? THe idea never occurred to me but it seems unique.

Wayne

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No, I haven't ever used wooden picks. However, after decades of using Fender 351 classic celluloid mediums I'm experimenting with different materials and gauges for different genres and tones. So I for one would be interested in a review of these.

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've got some made from rosewwod and ebony and some other wood I can't remember the name of...

They look really cool but I find them a bit on the thick side and hard to hold properly.

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

i did a BIG experiment with all kinds of pics (not wood, though) about 10 years ago. even made my own. used some of them frequently and it was ok.

but...

ended up going back to the tortex, medium sized teardrop pics i had use for a number of years before. i just like the way the material drags across the strings and the snap and memory of tortex, and the larger teardrop, as apposed to the small teardrop, is easier for me to hang onto, yet opens up the rest of my hand and fingers for hybrid picking (as apposed to the regular triangle sized pics)

just my two cents.

rand z

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I settled on Dunlop Ultex picks a few years ago and they work well for me. This was after years of using a Fender "Medium" pick. I thought I would try the wood out if for nothing more than to see what they were like and if it did anything to the tone.

I haven't received them yet but if they are quite thick and cumbersome that won't help at all. It was hard to tell from photos. My curiousity is if it changes the tone of the guitar based on the type of wood.

Wayne

6. h2otorched

h2otorched Tele-Meister

I've always been a laydown for any new pick that comes along.
    Beautiful stone picks ( very cutting high end, don't be sloppy with
    it, or it will shred your guitar top ), the Rose pick ( multi-finned for 12 string sound ).
    aLaska picks ( fit tight to your nails for fingerstyle, Chris Proctor uses them ).
    I was playing mostly acoustic, the last few yrs. more electric.
    Fender mediums and heavy saw a lot of use. I would take a leather hole punch
    ( I used to run a Birkenstock store ), and punch 5-7 holes in it. It dimpled
    the pick, made it concave, way easy to hold on to.
    Last year bought my first ever wah. Dunlop enclosed a Ultex pick.
    I really liked the feel, I can see if you were a shredder ( which I'm not ) it
    would be the kind.
    Most of my professional years I was ( am ) a bass player.
    Using a pick on bass was necessary until I developed my finger control.
    Sometimes a pick on bass is great ( Alan Parsons ).
    For ten years I immersed myself in fingerstyle acoustic, never touched
    a pick. I grew my nails looong, they were pretty strong ( think Wolverine ).
    Never tried a wooden pick.
    Always wanted to try a Jellifish pick.

7. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

A while back, maybe a couple of years, someone posted about using buttons for picks.

I tried it, and son of a gun, nay bad.

I've used matchbook covers and credit cards (cut up) for picks over time. I would think you can use anything.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like all kinds of picks, thick and thin, made from all kinds of materials. To me, changing picks is like changing the "voice" on my Super Champ XD amplifier; each one makes the guitar sound and play a bit differently.

My favorite wooden picks are ebony--I like the way they sound and feel--but they're not very practical, because they wear down kind of quickly. I have one of those lignum vitae (insanely hard wood) "Surf Picks" that sounds pretty good, especially now that it's finally worn to a pretty good bevel.

9. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

10. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

11. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

For that genuine wholemeal tone there's only one choice...

[​IMG]

12. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

I have an ebony pick. Very bright and clicky. Not a fan.

13. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've made a bunch of wood picks. If any of you guys want to try one made out of wood I have on hand PM me, just pay for shipping.

In the long run, I don't care for them. Sometimes they are cool as something different, but I always go back to the regular old celluloid med. picks.

I think they can sound really cool on an acoustic, but I don't like them on electrics. YMMV. everybodies different. I mean some guys like Ovation guitars.

14. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Ive got a few and love them. Pau ferro is my favorite all around.
    Ebony is bright and better for strumming IMO
    And rosewood is a bit smoother great for soloing.

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I made a couple from Box (buxa) from the garden. This is a very, very hard wood, it sinks in water. I split an off-cut down the grain to get it straight-grained, thin and flat then rubbed it down smooth. All that effort - nah!

16. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. They might fal into the look nicer than they play category but I will see.

Wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.