1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Won't end the debate

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My band did 150+ nights a year over a four year run. Lyrics were forgotten, bum notes happened, but it was never a showstopper. Some of the best moments were when somebody ad-libbed their way through a verse.

2. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

I’m terrible at remembering lyrics and chords. But then, I don’t play live very often, anyway (especially these days). And when I do, it’s usually just a few songs. So it’s never a big problem. On the other hand, maybe if I did 150 shows a year, I’d be better. But anyway, I can totally understand how you’d want to use something like a teleprompter. And as long as it’s not too obvious, I don’t have a problem with it.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Watched this the other day, even DB needs to get prompts for his older lyrics... which he clearly admits to here...

Sparky2 and SRHmusic like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think some performers really hate that old "stuff" that sold so well, since in many ways they've moved on perhaps they wished the fans would stay up with the present.

I know Paul has at least one CD from the 1990s he wishes he could forget ever happened, at all.

SRHmusic likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Some posters have obviously never done any live gigs...

6. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Teleprompter, yes. Music stand, no.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

one does have to make allowances for doddering geezers

bcorig likes this.
  8. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I just can't wait for the met to finally hire some professionals who can put those music stands away.

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Everybody gets lazy, because life offers other, more exciting things to do. You can memorize, practice out loud, review, and practice some more, or you can use notes. This is an important reminder that at some point, lots of stuff becomes about money and time, not about connecting with every listener, or, even, art or music. It's commerce. Eff you... I'm not spending the night memorizing and practicing... I don't have to! Of course the teleprompter stuff absolutely undercuts sincerity, but in 2020, who's really hung up on sincerity or work ethic anymore? Everyone's taking the shortcut when they can. I'm reading off a teleprompter as I write this post.

10. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I wanna see reliced music stands and reliced clip-on tuners!!

Matthias and richiek65 like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think music stands, or the modern technical equivalent thereof, look unprofessional, and make me think someone didn't care enough to prepare for the event.

In the case of Paul McCartney however,
    I think music stands, or the modern technical equivalent thereof, look unprofessional, and make me think someone didn't care enough to prepare for the event.

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah but is it still stand up comedy if you're sitting down?

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I played a gig tonight. I am happy to report I did not forget any lyrics. I do ad-lib a few; "You got your hair pulled back and your little bitty bikini on." (Boys of Summer)

SRHmusic likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I saw the Rolling Stones in Nashville around 1972. Mick Jagger said it was good to be in Georgia.

bcorig likes this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Possibly because they were back in the day. And that was a long time ago.

16. bcorig

I don’t want to be banned again.

17. bcorig

What about the tottering ones?

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well, Paul McCartney has a bit more of a rep than I, so I'm not sure this is so relevant to us little guys. Music stands just don't belong on a rock n roll stage because they are just not rock n roll - if you can't memorize Satisfaction and Hey Joe, you got bigger problems. When you get famous enough to afford a teleprompter, go ahead and do your thing. There are memorization tricks that work and it's worth it if you care about your stage presence. I've used an Ipad for set lists and a few "first lines of the verses" pages when I've needed to, it's at least a lot less intrusive and obvious than a music stand. And if you play behind a music stand the audience can't see your fingers go up and down the fretboard real fast, which is mostly how people judge your guitar skills after all.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I remember the lyrics, chords, and lead lines to most of the songs I wrote...but Cranial Gas catches up to all of us, and if I have a hard time remembering the lyrics or chords to a song I wrote, maybe recorded (maybe not) and maybe played on a few gigs twenty-plus years ago, I’m gonna have them somewhere in reach...and I’m only 50.

Macca is thirty years older than me...give him a break.

20. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Maybe, but we would rather do 150 songs and rotate them than the same 25 songs over and over that we could memorize perfectly. I'm for lots of different songs and being in tune rather than looking "professional" by not having cheat sheets and clip on tuners on the back of our headstocks. I would also rather see/hear a band in tune and playing different songs if i see them more than once. Just me, ommv of course.

dougstrum, SRHmusic and GibbyTwin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.