1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Won't end the debate

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Nov 27, 2020.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Music stand, iPad etc for playing live. Of maca can do it so can anyone...lol Screenshot_20201127-075727.png

P Thought, P-Nutz and schmee like this.
  2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

If the Big Macca is playing 50 year old songs in a stadium*, I don't have much of a problem with using a teleprompter to get the lyrics right, anymore than watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live, knowing full well that Belushi, Aykroyd, Chevy Chase and Bill Murray were relying on cue cards to get their dialog right.

* Next year, ideally.

Steve Holt, ce24 and Torren61 like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If the only song I ever wrote was "Yesterday", I would consider myself a musical success. Why would anyone have a problem with his using a teleprompter or iPad or a hot chick telling him the lyrics as he goes? They know where the door is if that displeases them.

kuvash, Steve Holt, Matthias and 5 others like this.
  4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

He gets an excuse for this, for sure.

Torren61 and ce24 like this.
  5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

They made mistakes or forgot lyrics in the past too. Nobody cared or noticed.

6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

As far as I can tell it's been pretty standard for major acts to have discrete prompters on stage for quite a while. They look like floor monitors. Sometimes there's a small monitor up by the keyboards, as well (e.g. Geddy Lee). My take is that the audience is there to see a band as good as they can be, and the pros don't want to take the chance of forgetting the first line after a solo, etc., given all that can happen on stage, in the crowd, etc. Here's are a couple companies that make these.
    https://www.stageprompter.co.uk/
    https://stageprompter.com/

Here's an image from Mayer's 2008 LA concert on YT, on Gravity - a song he wrote and must have played a thousand times.

upload_2020-11-27_12-18-23.png

Attached Files:

KirbyBarba, ce24 and Torren61 like this.
  7. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

If the artist gets the city right then I would call it a success. Use of teleprompters, iPads etc is good in my books too. I also understand that some artists have someone tell them the next song through their in ears and in some cases a new click (for each song) for the tempo.

Steve Holt and ce24 like this.
  8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

There's a HUGELY important difference between a teleprompter vs. a music stand or iPad....the audience doesn't see the teleprompter. That's a very important distinction to my mind. The TP is invisible ...it just looks like a floor monitor....the iPad and music stand appear as stage clutter and very visually apparent aids to remembering lyrics/chord changes. That being said I still don't care for seeing a performer glancing down at the teleprompter while singing. All of those things detract from 'being in the moment' with the performance. If it's an event where there are guest artists invited on stage to sing another bands stuff then yes, I can give that a pass. But a band doing their own material? Or a bar band doing covers? Nope. It looks amateurish and you need more rehearsal.

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

The whole history of SNL is the cast reading cue cards.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's not the music stands and iPads that bother me specifically, it's the performers who stand there motionless, heads down and eyes glued to them, that screams "I am not ready to be doing this yet."

IMadeYouReadThis and SRHmusic like this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

That tears it. I'm petitioning the mods for a forum devoted to music stands and clip-on tuners.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't forget relics!

sonicsmitty and Dismalhead like this.
  13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Zeppelins manager used to hold up cards for Plant during Stairway. This discussion is pointless.

While I'm spoiling things, jazz isn't 100% improvised and stand up comedy is rehearsed.

14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have only about 15 songs I can perform live without the lyrics in front of me.

The rest of them, I need the lyrics there on an iPad or the music stand.
    Including my original songs.

My memory is that bad.

:(

15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

If you tell us that professional wrestling is fake, I'm going to be very upset.

:(

16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Im with you on that!

ce24 likes this.
  17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

How did guys like Springsteen and Dylan manage lyrics back in the day? All those words...

bcorig likes this.
  18. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Teflon crosses the blood brain barrier. The older you get, the more that gets through.

They sometimes call it other things, but it's teflon.

I would be crankier about this ..... if I could remember what I was cranky about.

ce24 and Frodebro like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Was hoping for a clip-on tuner in the pic. :(

Obsessed and SRHmusic like this.
  20. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

If you've ever played live, you've almost certainly forgotten some lyrics mid-song. It happens, and when you're up there doing it, it sucks. I've forgotten or sung the wrong lyrics many times on stage, and also on the radio in live performance. It always made me feel a sense of shame, like I was trying to fool the world that I deserve to be doing this, while I can't even get all the words. In truth, for me it was always an anxiety thing - I would get in my head when up on stage, and that panic can make you lose your way. And the fear of getting lyrics wrong, or forgetting whole verses, made the thought of performing that much more nerve-wracking. I don't have a problem with performers using whatever tech they need to feel comfortable on stage.

But not lip-syncing. That's a step too far.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.