Won’t be playing for a while…

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
Sliced off a big chunk of my left index finger today. No good. It’ll be probably be a month minimum before I can really start playing again, maybe longer. I’ve linked a thread from a different forum where you can see the gruesome/gory pics of you feel so inclined… I won’t post them here. But yeah. Take care of your hands guys. You only get 2.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/this-stuff-can-be-dangerous….321988/page-2#post-5933215

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 20

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Sliced off a big chunk of my left index finger today. No good. It’ll be probably be a month minimum before I can really start playing again, maybe longer. I’ve linked a thread from a different forum where you can see the gruesome/gory pics of you feel so inclined… I won’t post them here. But yeah. Take care of your hands guys. You only get 2.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/this-stuff-can-be-dangerous….321988/page-2#post-5933215
heal fast

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'll refrain from clickin' the link but man... hope you heal up fast! Can I ask what happened? Was it power tool related?

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
I'll refrain from clickin' the link but man... hope you heal up fast! Can I ask what happened? Was it power tool related?
If I’d been using a power tool, I would have saved myself the grief. I was trimming a shim for a transition strip for a partial remodel. Didn’t want to take the time to go to the garage, and I figured I could use the opportunity to practice splitting/shaping with my new bushcraft knife. Should have just gone and ripped it on the table saw.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If I’d been using a power tool, I would have saved myself the grief. I was trimming a shim for a transition strip for a partial remodel. Didn’t want to take the time to go to the garage, and I figured I could use the opportunity to practice splitting/shaping with my new bushcraft knife. Should have just gone and ripped it on the table saw.

Oh wow man..... dang it. Sorry to hear that man, and hope you get well soon. Take care man, and thanks for the reminder!

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I sure hope you heal up quick and fast. I've worked with power tools for the past four decades (really, all my life) and other sharp stuff and cut myself all the time, but I pasted the link and I saw the pics, and haven't done it quite that bad (knock wood). That said, it's surprising how the body can heal. I split my left thumb open one time, with the end of screwdriver bit on a cordless drill, and I didn't think it would ever heal, but now I can't even tell. It took months though. Just keep up with the doctor's orders, and I really do hope for the best for you.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
oh dear god I clicked the link..... Dude I'm so sorry. As I shared in a different thread, Using the wrong tool for the job because you are in a hurry can be bad news. We are in the same brotherhood. Let that bad boy heal!
Funny you mention that… I sent this text while I was waiting on the doc to come and cauterize me.

Attachments

• 4FAB4CE9-2279-446D-821A-4224687887DA.jpeg
    4FAB4CE9-2279-446D-821A-4224687887DA.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 26

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
That sucks, but you will return even better.

I had the first pad of my index finger broken off when it got trapped in the jam of a heavy metal security door while working as a prison guard. The door was a powered door, but it was so old that it didn't have an emergency stop...I had to stand there while the door slowly took my finger off....wasn't fun.

They re-attached it and after a month, I was back to the tele. It was my picking hand though, so no big deal really. The tip remains without feeling, but functions fine.

Hang in there and yes, protect the hands...I have been far more cautious since that day.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
About 3 years ago I bought a set of kick [email protected]@ Milwaukee hole saws. These things eat wood like there's no tomorrow! Anyway, chucked the 2" into the drill and like an idiot I had my finger on the trigger as I chucked it, of course pulling said trigger accidentally. Before I could say a colorful word I had chewed my right thumb, web, and index finger and 1/2 my palm but good! Just like that. Pretty much took me outta commission for a week or more.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
About 3 years ago I bought a set of kick [email protected]@ Milwaukee hole saws. These things eat wood like there's no tomorrow! Anyway, chucked the 2" into the drill and like an idiot I had my finger on the trigger as I chucked it, of course pulling said trigger accidentally. Before I could say a colorful word I had chewed my right thumb, web, and index finger and 1/2 my palm but good! Just like that. Pretty much took me outta commission for a week or more.
I don’t like that…

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Aw, man, that sucks.

I did a similar thing to my picking thumb last fall, on the bandsaw.

The worst part, as I'm sure you know, was the painkiller they injected before stitching it up.

I lost about a week shop time, and it was probably 8 weeks before I could really play guitar again.

It still tingles and feels weird, but it's not a problem. I can still hold a pick just fine.

Heal up, feel better!

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
Aw, man, that sucks.

I did a similar thing to my picking thumb last fall, on the bandsaw.

The worst part, as I'm sure you know, was the painkiller they injected before stitching it up.

I lost about a week shop time, and it was probably 8 weeks before I could really play guitar again.

It still tingles and feels weird, but it's not a problem. I can still hold a pick just fine.

Heal up, feel better!
Lol I told the doc that the lidocaine was worse than the cut. Lol