Womens World Cup - USA vs England - Semi-final

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EddieLocrian, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

We lost both the women's footie and the women's cricket yesterday... each time to the better team. Well done the US and Australia.

I hope the England men do better in the cricket against New Zealand today. A win means a place in the semi-finals, a loss means we need Bangladesh to beat Pakistan on Friday.

2. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Clap, clap, clap, well done USA.

I figure you would have won a penalty shootout anyways.

Stratohacker likes this.
  3. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

That's nice to know!!

4. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I have to say I hate VAR.
    The second England goal should have stood.
    The penalty in the box should not have been called.

VAR makes the outcome more important than the game itself. Ends justifying means. It's a sport dammit. You play it on the field not in an office on a computer.

Daniel

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

If you want to see ends justifying means, just imagine the bribery and cheating that would influence the outcome without VAR. At this level, it's not "just a game".

6. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Well here you're using technology to 'fix' a personnel/behaviour problem that may or may not exist on any given day. Using technology to change behaviour is also problematic. First, because you're still using the ends to justify the means. Second, because the technology doesn't change behaviour, at best it obviates it. This does not address the underlying issues that create a system in which match fixing is profitable.

BTW, VAR is fairly new, and I don't recall a particular issue of match fixing among FIFA ranks. Lots of other worse problems in the main office, but not match fixing.

Daniel

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Video review was inevitable. When viewers can watch a replay in slow motion over and over and see that a call was clearly botched, the referees needed to be able to review and change the call on the field. Or else fans would have been extremely frustrated. Even with VAR they can still err, but at least the blatant mistakes can be reversed.

8. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I'm rooting for ANYBODY vs the insufferable twit Americans.

And, I'm American.

I hope they lose.

Ricky D., Dan R and Texicaster like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If me n Harley don't have a dog in the race we usually root for the underdogs, but in this case we're rooting for team USA. I don't know why you say they are insufferable, and twits. Maybe I missed something, or maybe the coverage is over the top.

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe it's the swagger. Thats how it's done if one is a dude. I'll stop there. I like this team. Confidence is important.

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I can't really sit through a whole game of women's soccer. All the drama-queen stuff just wears me out.

It is known/reported here that the US team is good, and I've seen some highlights...they do look good!

EddieLocrian likes this.
  12. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

On the whole the USA were just about the better team -- England needlessly gave away possession too much -- but it was close. The 'goal' ruled out for offside was damn close -- and it wasn't a great penalty kick by any means. Hey ho, that's football.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In my opinion the women have much, much less drama queen behavior than the men's game.

Rick330man and notmyusualuserid like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

I know the Netherlands/Sweden semi is today. When is the final? Too bad it couldn't be on July 4. That would have been something!

15. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, goal differential mattered. But 3 of the 4 teams in each group advanced and the US was the first seed in the entire tournament and they were up 8-0 at the 80 minute mark. We all have our views - mine is that the US team showed poor sportsmanship. They could have played to their potential by keeping possession for 10 minutes.

16. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I would agree with the criticisms of the US women for the 13-0 Thailand game if it were a friendly. The fact is, this is the biggest tournament in the Football/Soccer world, and we don't know what they were told about this issue in the locker room or on the field in the second half. Personally, I would not expect the US to ease up because Thailand stopped trying.

Daniel

jman72 likes this.
  17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

This. Not one of those players could win a roster spot on a men's team. Too weak, too slow. Against any decent pro men's team they would be on the short end of a lot of 13-0 blowouts.

Larmo63 likes this.
  18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, no. It was crass and immature. Running up the score and celebrating as they did, what a bunch of jerks. I'd love to see them lose 13-0 and have the winners rub it in after every goal.

Larmo63 likes this.
  19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Well done USA.

I think playing in the afternoon made everyone look a bit tired and the Netherlands fell apart a bit in the end. But certainly been a good year for women’s football.

20. BigDaddyLH

+1.

Now I hope Team USA can power through this controversy, because they really are in the right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.