Womens World Cup - USA vs England - Semi-final

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EddieLocrian, Jul 2, 2019.

1. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Stratohacker likes this.
  2. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Still don't know if I must be sad about England loss or still being angry concerning Rapinoe double.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If the Green Hulk is sad...

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Watched the end of this in a pub in rural Ireland...the place exploded when USA won.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Wot, no England supporters?

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I was bothered more by the celebrations. It was quite humiliating to the Thai women to be screaming and jumping on the tenth goal, as if they had just won the entire tournament. I think it's okay to play hard right to the end, because it shows some respect to the opponent, that they are worth being taken seriously. But just run back to centre after scoring. There's no need for the big celebration.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Ricky D. likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Couldn't believe that England missed that penalty kick, although it was a tough call to make to award that kick.

If they had tied it up I think England may have pulled it out as the US seemed to run out of gas at the end and had a couple of players go down.

Look for the US to play better next Sunday which does not bode well for either team although Sweden seems to be on a roll!

savofenno likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Were the U.S. team's goal celebrations in today's semifinal subdued enough to meet everyone's approval?

tomkatf likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

I understood the penalty after seeing the replay from every angle, but I thought the yellow card was undeserved.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Great game. I'm an England fan obviously, but the USA played an excellent game, and were worthy winners. England hung onto the ball far too long, in the early half of the game. You win some you lose some. Well done USA.

muudcat, EllroyJames and tomkatf like this.
  11. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

After all the slo-mo angles, I still didn't see any contact...:eek:
    Isn't a yellow automatic with a penalty in the box??? Anyway, GO USA!!!!!!

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

The defender's shin hit the back of the attacker's right leg as she was about to take the shot, causing the attacker to miss the ball. It looked unintentional to me, which is why I questioned the yellow card.
    Hmm... If it is, I get it now. Thanks.

tomkatf likes this.
  13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya, but this is the World Cup, the absolute pinnacle of their entire careers. They've worked their lives to get to this point, and scoring a goal is something that they'll remember forever. It's like getting pulled up on stage at Wembley Stadium by Keith Richards and given his guitar to play with him in front of 100,000 screaming fans. Wouldn't you be excited?

So, to score goal #1 or #13 in a WC game, it's the World Cup!

EddieLocrian likes this.
  14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Good game, lots of excitement. US showed some areas of weakness. Next game will be a thrilla.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol:

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of these players have played in big games and frankly, they were playing against Thailand. It wasn't a big game. They were totally expected to win. Once Alex Morgan had scored her third goal, she should have acted like she'd done it before, not as if it was her first time in an international. She's won World Cups before. She was a FIFA World Player of Year finalist. Carli Lloyd has had an even greater career. Two Olympic Gold medals, 2-time FIFA Player of the Year, three goals in the final in the last World Cup, which they won, of course. Scoring against Thailand definitely should not have been a thrill for either of these women, especially the fourth and fifth goals. She should have been leading her team with some class, showing that this was just the first game of a long tournament, and that beating Thailand was merely a small step.
    Instead, she's rubbing the Thailand women's faces in the grass.

For Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd, it was like me getting pulled up on stage at my local pub to play with my buddy's cover band. No big deal at all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  17. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Former U.S. men's national team player Erik Wynalda referred to the sport depicted in the picture to the right as "throwball."

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

I was discussing this with two friends who are both certified refs. In the men's game, we all doubt that would have been called.

LutherBurger likes this.
  19. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

No, it’s not - unless it is adjudged DOGSO (denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity], in which case a yellow is shown to the offender (red, if the foul does not result in a PK).

LutherBurger and tomkatf like this.
  20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Again, I see your point but disagree. Every goal in the World Cup is a big goal and every game is a big game. Thailand or Germany, it's still the first game of the Cup. And with all the pressure and expectation placed on these players, having such a dominant game would make me celebrate too.

Stratohacker and tomkatf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.