Womens World Cup - USA vs England - Semi-final

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EddieLocrian, Jul 2, 2019.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm hoping England beats them 13-2 or something like that.

stratofortress, uriah1 and vgallagher like this.
  2. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heh. Out here, we have a zero-tolerance policy about that...

One of my favorite soccer videos is a coach talking to his teenage team about referees. He makes 3 points. First, the ref probably loves the game more than the players. How else do you explain running for an entire game where everyone hates you and you don't even get to kick the ball. Second, total up all the muffed calls vs. how many mistakes the players make and see who comes out looking better. Third, put the ball in the net a dozen times and the ref doesn't matter.

Guran, tomkatf and bsman like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A member is going to interfere with the internal and natural development of an alien civilization? That's just not right.

drf64 likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the final is on national/free/antenna TV maybe I'll get to catch it.

I find soccer really hard to watch, I hate the antics of the players and the drama on the field.

Oh and I played soccer obsessively through HS. I was utterly obsessed with soccer, played year round, travel clubs, indoor soccer, soccer camps, sat there and practiced half my childhood away in the back yard when I didn't have practice to go to. Went to multiple world cup games in High School, got to be a ball boy at an international game, etc.. I used to watch Telemundo coverage in Spanish on a regular basis.

Not sure what did it but I just don't care. I got to college and lost all interest. I played intramural soccer one year and college and didn't even find it fun anymore. Maybe I would if care if the US Men's team got better? Maybe I'd care about the US Women's team if the rest of the world's women's teams started to get better?

To be fair I care very little about watching any sports. Time spent watching sports for me is way better off as time participating in sports. I have participated way way more as an adult than most people I know, but soccer is not something I've played in a very long time in any way other than casually kicking a ball around.

5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I think one of the things being said about the women’s game is that, Cameroon aside, it’s basically antic free.

I’m not a huge watcher of sports. As a younger man I found it reminded me too much of my own ineptitude at enforced sport at school, but the passage of time has made putting the TV on less painful.

notmyusualuserid and bsman like this.
  6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

It's the "football" where you actually use your feet.

savofenno and RoyalBaby like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Beninma-- I agree with RoyalBaby-- one great thing about the women's game is they are much better sports-- minimal antics on and off the field.
    The men could learn a few things about comportment and teamwork from the women, that's for sure. Damn testosterone poisoning!

savofenno, Teleguy61 and RoyalBaby like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

Now you guys have got my curiosity piqued. Hoping for a good game!

savofenno likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Soccer players really should go into acting, it pays better.... and they are very good at it... almost as good as NBA players!

10. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

:p
    Way cool, bsman!!! Say "Hi" for me...:p

bsman likes this.
  11. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve been watching and enjoying. The USA team is strong, but the score run up in the match against Thailand ( 13-0 and 5 US goals after minute 80) was chicken shxt and a poor example of sportsmanship. Yeah, I heard folks say “we play hard to the end.” That doesn’t work for me. I’ve seen sports teams stop short of humiliating the opponent all the time.

Ricky D., savofenno and bsman like this.
  12. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Almost, but not quite! Golf and NBA basketball-- esp. basketball-- is truly dreadful. :)

stratofortress and uriah1 like this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Asking for equal pay when you are world champions multiple years in a row and the guys by comparison are total scrubs doesn't seem political to me, it seems like a valid workplace issue.

The fact that it is seen as political goes to show how far women have to go in this world in order to receive equal pay for equal work. Just because it
    has been that way forever doesn't mean it's right.....

It would be different for say NBA and WNBA-- two totally different organizations with different revenue streams. However, in this case, it's my understanding that the men and the women are
    being paid for by the same organization with the same revenue stream-- USA Soccer.

If you had a daughter and she made it all the way to the Olympics and the World Cup, let's say in downhill skiing or swimming, how would you feel if she got paid way less than the guys? She worked
    just as hard and made the same career sacrifices to get there, the competition she faces is just as fierce, and the risk of injury is just as high.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It is a good game. Very entertaining. USA edging it. It's like top international schoolboy level. Lots of skill less power. Fair play.

15. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Isn't goal differential one of the key deciding factors in placement...why would you not play to your potential when the result matters?

jman72 likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

Band name alert: Top International Schoolboys

rze99 and RoyalBaby like this.
  17. rze99

Sheesh. England miss a penalty then get a player sent off. Two One down.

18. rze99

Well done USA. Better and more clinical overall. England missed penalty the decider. But USA well deserved.

19. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

:)

20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

USA wins. I found the end of the game on a Spanish television station. The announcers were mighty excited. I couldn’t understand a single word.

savofenno and LutherBurger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.