Women..or Signifcant Other Who Doesn’t Understand Your Love For Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 14, 2019.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Lol. I've been on this forum all morning & my GF is home today so I mentioned what I'm doing. She said "Second best is still on the podium".

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Could it be your playing?

Tony Forman and Andy Summers like this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

when your wife is a musician & gets it..whatever & wherever it takes to get it done ped.jpg

Andy Summers likes this.
  4. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

If someone did not like what I do as my favorite (well 2nd favorite ) thing to do then don't let the door hit ya where the lord (you know the rest) ;)

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

LOL! My wife gave me her Coach purse when she got tired of it. I keep guitar accessories in it!

I knew she was the girl for me when we were first dating, back in '76. She told me she didn't know a lot about guitars, but she knew what a Stratocaster was. :)

We've been together ever since.

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Another thing I love about covers is when someone says "Does anyone know how to play.......?" & we'll be like " I assume it goes like this". Afterwards someone will point out that we missed the breakdown after the 3rd vs & we're like "Well, we collectively, & spontaneously omitted part of a song we've all heard a hundred times, but I wouldn't say we missed it". Ha ha ha!!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Andy Summers and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Seems like you guys have very supportive partners, which is great. In most cases it sounds like the guitar came first, which means they didn't really have much choice. I'm sort of on the other side. With me, the wife was here first, so the guitar is an interloper. So she has very mixed feelings about it. At first she liked it and thought it was cute, like, I dunno, playing the ukelele or something. Then she started to get a little skeptical. "Another amp? What do you need two for??" Then jealous. She doesn't understand why I would ever want to practice ("but you already know how to play"). So it's a bit of a struggle at the moment. I've tried to point out obvious benefits to this hobby versus others. "Most other guys play golf - they're gone all weekend long! I'm right here, and you know just what I'm doing"). In her mind, she is being supportive. In fairness, she has put up with my transforming the basement from game room to music studio, and the general GAS that has occurred. But let's just say this whole situation is a work in progress.

So the moral of the story: for you guys who have it good at home, be grateful, and don't take it for granted. Give your girl a kiss tonight, and tell her thank you.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well said right there!

Andy Summers likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Yesterday was our 53rd anniversary. I play golf, guitar, and have even on occasion been known to fly pigeons and drink a coca cola. Maybe the time I was absent from home led to the longevity of our marriage.

G.Rotten and Andy Summers like this.
  10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Ha ha! Now there's a bad habit. :oops:

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Excellent point. Can I use you as a reference?

12. Toto'sDad

I offer my services as a reference and or a witness at very reasonable rates!

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I'm coming up on 76 years old here pretty quick if it's gonna kill me, it's gonna have to hurry before something else does it!

14. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

LOL....Nice one Jim622!

15. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Yes i must admit i like to do my playing and hobbies alot and can get lost in them. Anyhow Good Luck!! with your future life.

Andy Summers likes this.
  16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

It's not about things coming before people, it's about having a significant other who accepts you for you at face value & doesn't make you feel guilty about who you are or make you hide the things that make you whole. When I was married, I loved my wife enough to pretend I didn't need guitars when I saw that she had an issue. Like many people here I was gigging before even I met my X & it was something she really seemed to like. Eventually, it was clear that wasn't true.

I did the logical thing & cut music almost completely out. Basically life was work, kids, sleep, repeat. No bands, no shows, no jam sessions, & no point to learning songs or keeping up on my "chops". For 7 years. Did it make us closer? No. Did it solve the problem that we weren't right for each other anymore? No.

It did make me a passionless grumpy boring person who really didn't care whether or not I was alive. I mean that in all seriousness & to the extreme that you're likely thinking. You know what's lonelier than being alone? Feeling alone when you're not.

The right person takes you as you are, the wrong person tries to make you what they want. Being alive isn't living.

Sure there's got to be a balance to family, work & play, but it all needs to be there.

P.S. a new found passion is as valid as an old one & you can always resell a guitar, you never resell a day golfing.

17. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

That would be her problem, not mine.

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

With the other thing. Does anyone really need more than one guitar? I guess not. I also really only need one pair of pants & an occasional hour & half I'm cool with not wearing pants. But if I want to do different things such as have a job, go to a wedding, cut the grass now I need more than one to suit that application better.

On an animal level all we really need is food, water & a place to rest where we won't be eaten. Everything after that we choose because it does or is supposed to enrich our lives.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

"How could I have missed the red flags and warning signs she preferred dance music to rock.:rolleyes::)"

Simple. Musicians & most men judge a songs merit on it's aesthetic quality,how good it sounds.

Women judge a song's merit on how well you can dance to it.

When I'm playing a gig, women almost always request garbage music...because dance music is just that...garbage! Men rarely make requests, but when they do, they usually show better taste. We play GOOD music; we don't cater to dancers that much.

G.Rotten and Andy Summers like this.
  20. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

53 Congrats! That is impressive!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.