Women..or Signifcant Other Who Doesn’t Understand Your Love For Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

This came to my mind adlfter reading AustinCityLimits recent post, Didn’t want to hijack his thread, so I’ll start this one.

Anyone ever run into this scenario in the title? Personally, I went on a “date” not all that long ago. She asked me what I do for fun in my spare time. I told her I was in a band and loved playing guitar. She let out this condescending smirk and practically rolled her eyes. Finished up my drink, said goodbye and never saw that a$$ again. Now my ex wife was a lot of things, but she always appreciated my love for guitar and music. We didn’t always agree on my guitar purchases..haha...and she was probably right most of the time. But she never gave me crap for my love of playing and the time I put in.

This topic just really gets to me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    NewKid, Matt G, Toadtele and 9 others like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Your problem is you care what other people think.

I don't have that problem lol.. works much better.

Matt G, Owenmoney, GibbyTwin and 12 others like this.
  3. Andy Summers

If it’s someone that has the potential to be in my life, you’re d@mn right I care what they think. It’s not a problem at all

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

In my experience they all tire of it after a while. Boredom sets in and they start to resent the fact that you have an interest, love, hobby that fulfils you and they might not. I don't have a good track record for choosing the best partners though.
    Women come and go, guitars are always there ready to put a smile on your face. :)

fnkmstr, Matt G, Marc Morfei and 15 others like this.
  5. Andy Summers

I hear that Chunkocaster. I’ve run into that as well. And your right...a guitar never lets you down.

Cheshiergrin and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

not everyone loves music the way we do. and they can't help it. we probably need to exclude those people.

I was quite shocked as a teenager when I asked one particular young lady if she liked rock and roll and she said, "I can take it or leave it." I was afraid of her.

7. Andy Summers

Hahah!! Yeah..that can be awkward.
    But that’s not really what I’m talking about. I understand that. Not everyone has to love music. Not saying that at all. It’s the reaction like the one I had on my date. Where they seem to be judging you. And I’ve run into that a couple times in my life..whether it be toward me or someone else.

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Ah.. well if you want to have other people in your life, telling you what you can do, where you can go, and what you can buy, go for it.

Me, I ain't going back on Maggies Farm no more. But hey, to each their own... good luck!

Matt G, LocoTex, GibbyTwin and 2 others like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

My worst experience was the time an ex cheated with a DJ.:eek::mad:

I had to delve deep into why I was ever with her in the first place after that one.
    How could I have missed the red flags and warning signs she preferred dance music to rock.:rolleyes::)

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Wife is singer..

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I've been with my wife for 20 years and she still loves to hear me play. Or she doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

Either way, we have fought over a lot of different stuff, but our hobbies have never been an issue.

12. thunderbyrd

I've had one person who basically told me I was mentally deficient for playing guitar. but that person did not understand my back ground at all. my uncle started a local country music show when I was about 11. and everyone who played at that show that I ever saw was really good! I never saw anyone at the Six Mile Jamboree ever get up and sing and stink the place up. I saw very young that people can express themselves musically and do it very well, and not be a Nashville professional.

13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a lucky man. My wife has no interest in my guitar/music hobby. But she has never discouraged me or even rolled her eyes over it. She sits and crochets while I sit and strum every evening while we see the news or whatever she likes on tv and talk. She has either paid for or helped pay for almost every instrument I own. Our kids are grown and out of the house and we’re just glad to be together.

NewKid, Matt G, Owenmoney and 14 others like this.
  14. Andy Summers

You’re missing my point. Who wants that in their life? When I say If someone has the potential to be part of your life it matters what they think. I stand by that. Because if they don’t like harmless things that I enjoy and are going to nag and criticize, then the potential is no more. It matters what they think so I can make my decision to walk if need be.

15. thunderbyrd

that sounds exactly like my wife and me.

16. Chunkocaster

It's best to just live and enjoy your life doing whatever makes you happy. If a decent women comes along and wants to stick around so be it. Only after they have proven to be honest and reliable is it worth making slight adjustments to accommodate their wants too imo.

17. Andy Summers

Sounds like a Norman Rockwell picture in the making..and I mean that lovingly. Sounds like you have what I wish I could have had with my ex wife..but I won’t get into that. Good for you and your wife Lake Placid Blue...I’m envious.

Wildcard_35 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  18. Lake Placid Blue

I really wish everyone could enjoy the life I enjoy.

19. Lake Placid Blue

Thank you.

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I feel sorry for anyone who is so miserable that they have to put someone else down just because the other person enjoys something. Those people must be living in a version of hell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.