Women and the Three Stooges

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Aug 22, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Why don't women think the Three Stooges are funny? Don't they have a sense of humor?

Archtop Bill, Geo, Rowdyman and 3 others like this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Most likely because they aren’t really that funny.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some do but a lot prefer drama to comedy.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

My wife and I share a love of the Stooges.
    We can quote dialogue.

Geo, Rowdyman, 6stringcowboy and 2 others like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Don't question it. Just enjoy your non-HGTV time.

6. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    My wife can't stand 'em…..LOL ….. when our son was a wee one, he'd go running through the living room, stop and look when I had the Stooges on, and turn to my wife and say "Hey mom, it's those funny guys!!!" He gets it :)

Telecastoff1 and dlew919 like this.
  7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

There’s no romance with the Stooges

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I loved em’ when I was a kid.
    My Mom didn’t, and thought they were violent and dumb.
    Those were the reasons I liked it.
    Hmmmmm........

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Shuster and LutherBurger like this.
  9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Short answer: No. Deep down no sense of humor...except that dam Wanda Sikes.

10. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

They can't see that much difference between the Stooges and their own home life.

11. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mmmm interesting.

I watched about half and it occurred to me that they act like 6 year old boys.

Exaggerated violence sure, but the only thing missing were the fart jokes.

CP.

12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, the Three Stooges seem to always have been a guy thing. The girls just never appreciated the humor in them. When I was a kid and my friends and I discovered them, I thought they were the funniest thing ever. My parents hated them, so of course, I liked them that much more. I’m 72 and still known to have quoted Curly.

catdaddy and stratofortress like this.
  13. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

It's not that they don't have a sense of humour, they just have more sense than us.

Nightclub Dwight and Guitarteach like this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The recent film saw my wife laughing (Larry David as sister chlamydia, three great leads, and the first hour is great). They are best in smaller doses though because the energy can wear thin. The last third is funny but I tend to watch it separately.

The originals were plain old anarchic humour. Can be dated back to Punch and Judy and Italian Delle Arte theatre.

*oh, wise guy!*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Juvenile and simple & one step from a fart joke.

Just like their men.

catdaddy and Frontier9 like this.
  16. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I liked that sort of humour when I was somewhere from 8 to 12 years old. There is some physical humour I still enjoy, but it has to be a bit more than a simple "football hits man in the groin" in endless variations.

dlew919 likes this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I thinks some of the posters in this thread of not giving the devil its due.
    Sure the Stooges were great slapstick but there was more nuanced content as well. It also helps to keep things in context. Our perception of humor changes over the years. Would Dana Carvey's "Church Lady" be that funny to newer viewers?
    The Stooges loved the pie-in-the-face routine and, baseball players still use a pie in the face after a game. Guess what? It still makes them laugh.
    Who can't appreciate "Dewey, Cheatam & Howe" on the Stooges' Lawyer's office. Who doesn't like to see some snobby aristocrat smashed with a pie or take a look at their WW2 films lampooning the Nazis.
    I still find Bugs Bunny amusing. I frequently exclaim "what a maroon" when someone does something utterly stupid and I love watch Bugs massage Elmer's pate with Barber of Seville.

For goodness sakes... "Lighten up Frances".

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Its definitely a thing, that women don't like the Stooges. I've thought about it over the years, because me and the kids loved em growing up. I truly think, women don't like the Stooges, because they are the opposite of masculine, and personify several male traits women find unattractive. They aren't smart, they are short, they are silly and goofy, they are poor, unattractive, not modern (even in their time frame), etc. You'd think they'd still laugh at the caricature, but I think it hits too close to home - as if allowing stooges humor might actually cause men to revert to their latent inner-stooge, lol.

watercaster likes this.
  19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well, I'm not trying to make people stop watching and enjoying the Stooges or anyhow lecturing about how X or Y provide soooo much more sophisticated humour.....
    Somebody asked about opinions and I gave mine. Simple as that.

I watched the clip from the OP for about 7 minutes until I got bored too much. I haven't seen a bit of subtext or nuanced content you and others do seem to find with the Stooges.Maybe it is due to a different timeframe and cultural background.
    Just to check my senses I looked for a more physical/slapstick sort of humour I liked and came up with some Harold Lloyd. I still like it. I'd say, it's not about slapstick/physical jokes in general, but it's more about jokes reduced to dropping a plate, slapping, poking and vice-versa.
    Then again, watching Bugs Bunny drop a weight on Elmer doesn't make me laugh; having Elmer singing "Hunting the rabbit!" to the music of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries does.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I think I picked this up from an MGM documentary, but someone was speaking to the brilliance of the Stooges as a classic formula. They appealed to all three classes: The upper class found them strangely interesting, never being around the lowest class. The middle class enjoyed laughing at them, because they confirmed there was a class lower than them, and the lowest class were flattered that everyone was so interested in the way they lived. If you look at Vaudeville acts, and minstrel show acts, they employed the exact same formula. If you look at today's comedy, you see the same brilliant formula in play. Seinfeld may have employed some Stooges formula, if you think about it...

burntfrijoles likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.