Wolftone pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DrBGood, Nov 25, 2018.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Around 2016, they came out with this ingenious prototype to fit a P90 bobbin into a humbcker route, without having to get the chisel out. Any idea if they ever put it on the market ?

I'm tempted to make some out of wood or gluing plastic parts together.

P90HB2.jpg

2. ahnadr

ahnadr TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

There are a number of humbukcer sized P-90s available, you asking about Wolftone? I dont know about them.

3. StSpider

StSpider Tele-Meister

Unfortunately they couldn't get the necessary founding for them so they are not for sale right now. According to Wolfe, the owner, the project isn't 100% shelved yet, but still they are not currently available.

AFAIK these are the only 100% accurate p90 pickups that fit a humbucker route with no modifications. That's because the coil needs to have a certain size for real p90 tone and with these the winding actually extends into the pickup ring area. These pickups don't really have pickup rings, in fact, they are all pickup that gets mounted via the 4 pickup ring screws and have no height adjustment screws, like dogears.

No other aftermarket pickup is equally accurate as far as I'm aware. I'm eagerly waiting for them to be available too.

4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

If there is a difference, I've only seen anecdotal evidence on that point, it probably has more to do with different degrees of magnetic strength at the screw tops, since the magnets are physically further away from the top of the pickup.

Differences in coil shape untimely just manifest in different amplitude outputs, but not have much effect on the transfer curve, aside from what little impact it has on the distributed capacitance. The turns of wire closest to the string produce the most voltage (similar to how you get a better signal if you're closer to a radio tower), so if the coil ends up placing more turns of wire further away, like the P-94, you just get slightly less voltage output overall.

P-94, P-90
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Bootstrap likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.