1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

wobbly pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GLee94, Feb 24, 2021.

1. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

i put a set of new knobs on my sg and one went on with a slight pop and now the pot shaft is loose in the pot. there’s is no noise when using the pot through amp (no issues) other than the knob wobbles...is it worth dissecting the pot to amend or is it best to replace the pot? it functions just very alarming when your knob wobbles like a bobble head..ol heavy hands did it again! CTS 500k split-shaft if it matters..

2. painter33

painter33 Tele-Meister

Might be one or two of the tabs that are bent over the top of the pot; they hold the wiper in place. Pull the control plate and check - might just be a quick fix with some needlenose pliers. Only two screws, after all...

LutherBurger and GLee94 like this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep, sounds like either it broke or something came loose. Peek under the hood, the problem may, or may not, be obvious. No way to diagnose it without seeing it.

If it's not obvy, replacing it will be a quick fix.

GLee94 likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

When I read the title to this thread, I thought, “Doesn’t all of it make people a bit wobbly?”

Then I read your actual question...

It looks like you have the right answers in the other responses.

GLee94, jman72 and ale.istotle like this.
  5. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

yup! easy fix:) didn’t even have to desolder anything, loosened the pot, gave the tabs a light squeeze w/ a pair of needle nose pliers and reassembled. problem solved! thanks guys

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

I never trust bending the tabs back. A lot of times the top wafer gets damaged in some place that it will start rotating a bit or moving laterally at some point. I guess with vintage gear there is a drive for people to save original parts. But I would just replace it, it’s peace of mind.

nickmsmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.