Wnen was the last time you wore a tie?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I know the exact date: March 6, 2003 - our wedding. I still have the suit and tie and shirt somewhere in a closet in a spare bedroom.
I wore a white linen suit to my wedding and after it sat some years I decided to wear the shirt for gardening.
Use whatcha got if you like it!

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
Way too long ago.

I love neckties - long ones, bows, ascots, name it. I have a lot of them. Just bought one in March in Zagreb (where cravats were invented, evidently) that cost more than some suits I've had. (This one has a serial number and is one of only 4 like it in the world, according to the shopkeeper.) But I don't wear one to work any more, and we don't really ever have a need to dress formally, so the collection is languishing in my closet.

Maybe I'll break one out when we go out for Christmas Eve dinner.

Skub

Poster Extraordinaire
My Da was a serial tie wearer,you'd never have seen him without one. When he became old and frail I'd do his ties for him. Myself,I'm a serial non tie wearer,but I wore one for his funeral in February.

It seemed right for once.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Last time I wore a real tie was August '94 when I got married (can't remember the date). Up until a few years ago when my Brothers and I would gather at my Dad's house on Christmas Eve I would wear a nice Bolo tie.

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
Last time was for Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur services last fall. Next time will be for Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur services this fall, unless there's a funeral I want to attend before then.

Honga Man

Tele-Afflicted
The last time was to my father's memorial service in 2019. The time before that was my mother's memorial service in 2018.

I always liked wearing ties and suits or a sportcoat. Pressed shirts and shined shoes, too. I did it for many years at work in the 1990s and early 2000s and still have them, plus my father's old ties too...including his OLD ties that he retired in the '70s and '80s for being out of style and/or too wide or too skinny. He kept them all and I have too. They don't take up much room. Remember "power ties" from the '80s? I still have some. I have some super-wide '70s ties in colors such as brown, burnt orange, and olive green too.

I don't go very often, but I wouldn't dream of going to church without at least a sportcoat and tie, even today. My parents always dressed for church when we went a few times a year and it doesn't feel right to me to show up in shorts and flip-flops as some others do. I don't care what they wear but I dress for church if only to show our kids the right way to do things. They can do as they like when they're older but I hope they'll remember their old man who dressed like his father, who dressed like his father, who dressed like his father...

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
Last was a funeral earlier this year. There were just a handful of others wearing. Work wise not since 1999.

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
My son’s high school graduation in mid June and a week later on stage with the teaching staff of the high school where I’ve taught for the last 17 years.
1E428729-E4B9-4265-AB1E-4BB77E66284B.jpeg
11A23414-FFCA-4FFD-99A5-FB06FA5927AA.jpeg

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Couple of months ago at a dinner cruise with my wife. I have a few and love to get dressed up. I had 2 military jobs that required civilian dress including a jacket and tie every day. At one I worked for an Army Lieutenant Colonel who thought a tie made his corduroy pants and flannel shirt acceptable. Dude was such a hillbilly.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Well, being a lawyer I used to wear them regularly. Since I changed my focus of work back in 2018, I'm not that often in court any longer.
But then again I like to dress up from time to time for the right occasion. Like a special dinner or going to a Milonga. A tie - actually I prefer bow ties - are an accessory. Like any piece of clothing or different shoes. If it's well done and fits, it's comfortable. Just like a 3-piece-suit and Oxfords.
Running around in nothing else but t-shirts, cargos and sneakers is boring.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Apart from funerals and a couple weddings, I cannot remember when I last wore a tie. I have a massive number of ties in two closets. I guess when I use to do conferences I got them. Nothing social that I can think of.

Have ties gone the way of buggy whips?

I used to wear ties a lot in the early 1980's, and then occasionally at work over the years.

Now, much like the OP, I have dozens of really nice ties hanging in the closet, and zero desire to ever wear them, ever again.

If I never wear a neck-tie again in this lifetime, I shall die happily.
It's become a useless affectation, in my opinion.

🤨