Wnen was the last time you wore a tie?

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Dad's funeral 8 years ago. I didn't own a full suit so I wore a dress shirt, suit pants and a black leather jacket my youngest son gave to me.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Worked for the energy industry for over 40 years. Almost 30 of those years were in a coat & tie era, with some “casual Fridays” involved. Ties disappeared mid 2000’s.

Started as lowest level “analyst”. Always enjoyed the affable and mostly genial company of geologists. Some of the engineers as well, save for the very ambitious ones, who had the civility of a pack of deranged sharks.

Regret not taking yoga back then, as it would have been useful for retrieving the knives plunged deeply in my back.

Threw away almost all of them, here’s a sample of a few I saved, two from Paris, courtesy of Mrs. 3T, who once lived there.
B2CC677B-F5BF-4DD9-92B1-F1F422249491.jpeg

As for last meaningful times, my father’s funeral, 2001 and my mother’s funeral, 2014, for whom I delivered the eulogy, in the church where I was baptized and in whose walls my grandfather’s ashes reside. My children were baptized there as well, but I was unable to arrange that for my grandsons.

The era is gone.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Some of the engineers as well, save for the very ambitious ones, who had the civility of a pack of deranged sharks.
I worked in a civil engineering office for 15 years between consultants and local government/civil service.
Your post brings to mind a phrase that include the words nail and head.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
It's been almost 3 years since I wore a noose around my neck, a.k.a., a necktie. Anymore, there's only one occasion/day on which I wil put on a tie, and it's on the last day of the month of October. And not even on ever Oct. 31st, either, but only when it falls on a Thursday.

I volunteer every Thursday at a local seniors retirement community, and sometimes Halloween falls on a Thursday, as it did in 2019. So while the residents are dressed up as witches or goblins or monsters or whatnot, I come dressed in this suit and tie...

1660656867459.png

I bought it at Goodwill years ago for $40, and specifically for this application. So when I show up for my Halloween gig and am asked why I'm wearing a suit and tie, I can reply...

"Because it's the scariest costume I can possibly image!"

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Very rarely have the need for dressing up anymore. The dressiest these days is usually nice jeans or khaki pants with a button down shirt and loafers. The last 15 years of my working life I never wore ties or suits. When there's an occasion where dressing up makes sense I don't mind a tie; they're a nice way to add some spark/color to an outfit. I'm sure it's just an age thing but the whole suit without a tie thing seems silly to me.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmmm...I used to wear a suit for court appearances (not a lawyer) but I used to hire them and have to appear sometimes with financial authority or to testify, so at least 5 years ago.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I think the last time was 2015 at my MIL's funeral. I used to have to wear a suit and tie as a field tech. That would often induce laughter from my customers when I'd come to visit them at places like a Ford foundry. I will never wear a tie again.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
It's been almost 3 years since I wore a noose around my neck, a.k.a., a necktie. Anymore, there's only one occasion/day on which I wil put on a tie, and it's on the last day of the month of October. And not even on ever Oct. 31st, either, but only when it falls on a Thursday.

I volunteer every Thursday at a local seniors retirement community, and sometimes Halloween falls on a Thursday, as it did in 2019. So while the residents are dressed up as witches or goblins or monsters or whatnot, I come dressed in this suit and tie...

View attachment 1017606

I bought it at Goodwill years ago for $40, and specifically for this application. So when I show up for my Halloween gig and am asked why I'm wearing a suit and tie, I can reply...

"Because it's the scariest costume I can possibly image!"

Haha!

Wavy Gravy wears a suit and tie for Halloween!!

Terrifying indeed!

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I had to wear a tie for work for 10 years. Been retired for almost that long, and have only worn one once, for a funeral, which turned out to be unnecessary - almost nobody else did.

I did notice, though, that even when I had shoulder length hair and a very long beard, if I got pulled over wearing a suit and tie, I got off with a warnig.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I honestly didn't know men still wore ties to church.

Probably the last time I wore a tie to church was in the '80s. I think being a Texan helps with not having to wear a tie to church services, these days anyway. My "church" attire is my Sunday-go-to-meetin' boots, jeans and tee shirt underneath a cover shirt. Same goes for funerals, for the most part.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
July 21, 2018. I know this because it recently popped up as a Facebook memory. My wife and I went to the wedding of a friend's daughter and dressed up. I still have 25 - 30 ties in my closet, but the longer I go without wearing them, the less likely I will again.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In culling the ties as part of my downsizing, I found two Johnny Carson Ties, Two Jerry Garcia Ties, A Hydrographic Society Tie I was given for a talk I gave, Couple guitar ties from my wife and a Disney Characters tie. Some of the others are either really cheap or fairly expensive ones. Probably most will go to Goodwill. I'll hang on to three suits, one that fits, one larger and one smaller. That should get me to checkout.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
My wife and I go to the symphony every so often. We enjoy a night on the town in our duds concluding with the concert. I think it was three years ago, before the plague. Before that it was December 8, 2015. I gave the eulogy for my father's memorial service. A life well-lived and a man who died at peace with his world and his God.

Bob

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I did notice, though, that even when I had shoulder length hair and a very long beard, if I got pulled over wearing a suit and tie, I got off with a warnig.
That reminds me of when I was wearing a suit because I was driving to traffic court, probably back in '88 or so. I had really long hair, and had it slicked back with some product that was acceptable at the time. Anyway, I was driving to court in my '72 Super Beetle, which was in 'renovation phase' at the time, and was like 4 different colors of primer, and had no front license plate...

...I got pulled over by a state trooper about 1/8-mile before my exit off the highway. His concern was no license plate on the front of the car. I told him it fell off, and I hadn't yet had time to put it back on. He didn't believe me when I said it was in the trunk, so I had to open the hood on the side of the highway (during morning rush hour), to prove it to him.

Long story short - the suit probably saved me from getting written up for anything. I also only had 'California nerf bars' on the bug serving as bumpers, too (highly illegal in the state of Maryland).

...I also somehow managed to not get to court late!

But the last time I wore a tie was almost a year ago, at my uncle's funeral, last September. I probably could have gotten away without it, as things have now gotten more casual, but I did it out of respect for the man, because I knew he would have appreciated it.