WNBA...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 13, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

anyone watch women's basketball and what do you think about it?

I'm a huge college and pro women's BB fan. I had courtside season tickets at Washington Mystic games when I lived in Maryland. You need to get to know who the players are and get familiar with them etc. The games I watched there were some of the most exciting BB games I've ever been to. The players are some of the best athletes in the world and play maybe the best basketball in the world.

schmee likes this.
  2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan of a lot of women's sports and often IMO they play their styles better than the men. Soccer and tennis are two examples that I can think of where IMO the women's game is much better than the men's game.

Basketball is not one of those times for me.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My oldest daughter played college basketball. I have loved the women's game and the movement that it entails versus the men's one on one game.

Some of these ladies teams are really really good.

Greg_L likes this.
  4. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I think that's a very good point. The women play basketball like it was originally meant to be played. Move the ball around and work your way to the basket for an easy bucket. It's very fluid. It also unfortunately looks like it's being played in 1955 so that could be a turnoff for people that enjoy the modern men's game where it's all 3-pointers, flops, and traveling.

Chip likes this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One of my daughters played in college, too. We lined her up with a "travel team" from Eugene while she was in high school. During that time Pat Summit and the Tennessee Lady Vols were dominating NCAA basketball, and I became a fan of the women's game. Our daughter's high-school team was a longsuffering cellar-dweller in a league full of big Eugene schools, but she was fun to watch anyway, a four-year varsity starter who often had 20-point games, and who guarded three bigs in her freshman year, all of whom got D-1 scholarships.

I still like watching women's basketball, especially when the Ducks make a run (Sabrina Ionescu is a lot of fun to watch), BUT it's a different game. There is no comparison to the fast-breaking, long-range scoring (from a high ball release), shot-blocking, high-scoring, very physical men's game. Women's basketball will never have an audience to compare, either, because of that.

In retrospect, for my daughter's best interest, it wasn't worth it. I wish we had placed much less emphasis on the sport--time and money both--and much more on school itself, and perhaps a better mix of recreational activities. Her body paid the price, she pays it daily now, and there never was really anywhere to go. That's not true for men, even those who don't go past high-school teams can play far into life--I played 'til I was almost 50--but very few women can do that, virtually none as they get near age 30. And--not that this is there for most men either--there are NO multi-million-dollar contracts for women in the WNBA, at least I don't think there are.

6. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird have had million dollar contracts but they were in Russian leagues after the WNBA season ended. They were and are others as well. There are teams in China who pay American women BB players good money.

You can't ignore that college women athletes get a good education for playing a game they enjoy either.

Basketball is really a young persons game anyway. Even young people can get seriously hurt. Look at Kevin Durant right now.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  7. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Go courtside to a good WNBA game. These women are playing for keeps since the season is so short. Every game counts for playoff contention. You also have the new players trying to make a name for themselves.

8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't even know if Houston has a team anymore. I've been to Comets games way in the beginning when they won everything.

9. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Dallas has a team. They played tonight against the Indy Fever. I just watched it but they lost a close game. They need to get their game together but they've just signed Megan Gustafson who was the NCAA POY this season. She should make things interesting if they can integrate her into the team offense successfully.

You can actually get a courtside seat for the next game on Saturday night.

10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That's cool but Dallas is like four hours away!

11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I grew up in Connecticut, where women's basketball is huge due to the success of the UCONN Huskies women's basketball team. Interestingly, I've lived practically next door to both Geno Auriemma, the UCONN women's basketball coach, and also Jim Calhoun, the longtime UCONN men's basketball coach. Geno was by far a nicer neighbor and much more personable.

Women's basketball is almost like a religion in Connecticut. Both Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird can do no wrong in the eyes of Connecticut residents.

8barlouie likes this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Some of it is pretty fun to watch.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wasn't Rebecca Lobo one of Auriemma's first marquee players?

14. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Yes, she was the first real superstar to come out of the program. There have been many who have achieved great success in the WNBA and international play.

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Same with my daughter, she played the Four position so she was banging with some big girls. She has had two back surgeries for ruptured disks since her playing days. She is pretty active but I don't think she can play recreational even now and she is south of 30.

However she did get a fully funded education and left school owing less than $40K on an almost Master's degree. So with the cost of her school being almost $50K a year it seems like it might have been a decent investment on all of those trips and private lessons.

P Thought likes this.
  16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played in a golf tournament once in CT hosted by Geno Auriemma. In the morning right after registration, they had a nice breakfast buffet. I walked down the line and piled up on scrambled eggs and bacon and all the accoutrements and had a seat at one of the tables on the patio of the clubhouse. Just then, I heard a male voice say,”Do you mind if we join you?” I said sure. As I looked up, it was coach Auriemma and his lady assistant coach standing there with their plates in hand. They sat down and we had a very pleasant conversation while eating breakfast. They couldn’t have been nicer.

Edit: I just looked up the lady assistant coach. Her name is Chris Dailey. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Nightclub Dwight and P Thought like this.
  17. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

The Houston Comets folded in 2008. I never went to a game.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

HBO Just did a report on that hot blonde player - plays for Washington now I think and has a disabled sister. She refuses to go and play in Europe or Asia on the off-season - she doesn’t want to be away from her sister.

She was rookie of the year and she’s been MVP at least once . Her name escapes me

19. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Geno is THE MAN!

20. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

It's Elena Delle Donne. I went to every game I could to see her when she played at Delaware. The other teams usually double and triple teamed her but she would still score around 30 points. She has a game like LeBron but she's a better outside shooter. Watching her in warmups reminded me of the kid in "Hoosiers" who would hit 3 pointer after 3 pointer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.