Witts End

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Missing Link, May 7, 2021.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

Hey guys, I had some wood left over form a previous telecaster build so I decided to build for fun a Hybrid Vox Phantom style body with Telecaster neck and Stratocaster flush mount pickups with a Tune-O-Matic bridge so I could add on a Vibrato later on.
    All has gone perfect until I installed the Telecaster neck and loaded the strings.

Problem encountered:
    Tune-o-matic bridge is set as low as it will go but the strings are way high from the fret board and pickups as the pictures show.
    Put a thick spacer under the necks heel that bought it up to an reasonable height but strings are still to way high for the pickups.

Specs:
    Bridge is set for 25.5 scale (Tele neck)
    Neck pocket is 5/8" deep (16mm)
    Telecaster neck is 1" thickness @ heel (25mm)

The neck (not a good one) was not intended to stay on the project and I was considering a 22 fret 25.5" LP bolt on style neck down the road.

Also considering routing 1/8"-1/4" step down around the bridge and tail piece area (sunken) to bring down the height of the strings to help with correcting the pickups to string height.

Last it just to install a hard tail bridge and fill the holes, something I do not really want to do.

Any suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

Attached Files:

nojazzhere and tintag27 like this.
  2. Missing Link

Not much of any input on suggestions so I went ahead and recessed the bridge, not what I wanted to do as I do not know if I can still use a Bigsby B5 with it now but it did fix the issue.
    Not sure if I should recess the string brace as the strings seem as the tension in low, nice on the figures.

Cheers

Attached Files:

tintag27 likes this.
  3. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

I'd recess the tailpiece as well to get a bit more break angle over the saddles. Otherwise, it looks like you have it sorted. Cool guitar, please post more pics when it's finished!

nojazzhere and Telekarster like this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey man! Nice! Good way to repurpose the extra lumber! As @Paul45 suggests, I'd want more break angle too if it were me. It's all about the tone baby! ;) Great job! Looking forward to the finish!

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Yeah tune-o-matics don’t play nice with no neck angle, I would also recess the tailpiece but you may be able to add a B5. The saddles should be at a similar height to tele saddles and they protrude from the tune-o-matic a fair amount so the geometry should be right for it.

6. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The wood grain looks great with that organic body shape - I hope the grain will still be visible under any colour/varnish/stain?

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

“Witts End”.. band name alert!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Missing Link

"Witt's end" playing in a basement near you.:lol:
    I was planning to make the template for tail piece today and drop it down about the same height. Yes would be nice to add the Bigsby. The left over wood was of a bit of an angle but I got as close as to the old VOX as I could. I plan on keeping the finish a natural look, no scratch plate and big nasty looking 1960 style control knobs.

Cheers

9. Missing Link

Tail in recessed in and strings have a better brake angle. Some light sanding around the recessed holes or may even put a round over around the edges to take away that sharp edge look.
    I guess I will continue with looking at the possibility of installing the Bigby later.

Cheers guys:)

Attached Files:

10. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

Nicely done!

Did you remember the ground wire? I've lost count of the number of times I've just plain forgotten about it until final assembly.

11. Missing Link

Yes, thanks, I have a hole a ground wire for both the bridge and tail. Just walked in from working on it. Just did some grain sealing this morning and sanding and just put on it's first wipe of Golden Oak stain, keeping close to natural as possible. Going to darken just a tad more.

Cheers

Attached Files:

12. Missing Link

Getting close

DL107085.jpg

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.