Witnessed a Funny Thing Yesterday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

We went to the Cape May Birding Festival yesterday, our sole purpose was for my GF to demo new spotting scopes and possibly buy a nice high end scope(which she did).

While at the Swarovski demo trailer, I was off to the side with the dog, while my GF was talking to a rep and being treated "like a girl", another young woman was talking to another Swarovski rep and that dude is also talking to this woman like she's a little girl, explaining how it all starts with a billet of super high quality glass, more perfect than the other manufacturers care to spend money on and then he's droning on about "chromatic aberration" and "refraction" and all the things that "she probably wouldn't notice but that would cause eye and brain fatigue over time in the field".

He was doing a perfect example of what "man-splaining" is all about and sounding very patronizing. At one point he says something like "I'm sure this is way more information than is useful, I hope it makes some sense to to you" and with a perfectly deadpan stare, she says "I get it, I'm an optical engineer at Bausch and Lomb." You could see the blood drain from the guy's face. :twisted::lol::lol::lol:

My GF spent over $3k on a Kowa scope largely in part to the "bang for buck" but also largely because the rep didn't treat her like a child.

There's probably a lesson in there somewhere for certain gentlemen.

Obligatory photo of Yuki at Cape May...

1019191101.jpg

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1.) I catch myself now if I think I’m doing it while letting a woman know something I plan on doing at a job and have even said “Tell me if I’m mansplaining any of this”. Which can defuse and at least acknowledge that I’m onboard.

2.) I’ll be watching this thread and I’m sure the reactions will far exceed any predictions I currently have...:lol:

3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Was he also manspreading?

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of when we bought a water softener at the old house. The guy asked if we knew how they worked. My wife started explaining about ionization in exhasuted resins. He wasn't prepared for that.

It happens the other way, too. I sew some, and frequently get asked who's doing the sewing in the checkout line.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m reminded of the Man Club motto, from the Canadian sitcom, The Red Green Show.
    I am a man,
    But I can change,
    If I have to,
    I guess

As you were.

stevemc, Teleguy61, Shuster and 9 others like this.
  6. Bones

In addition to doing the "manly jobs' around the house, I also do all the cooking because I enjoy it and I'm quite a decent chef, this also means I do all the shopping. When we are looking for new appliances or kitchen gadgets, my GF is always saying "don't tell me about it, he's the one that's going to be using it".

My GF has been a birder since she was a child and has done a ton of research on scopes so she had narrowed it down to Kowa and Swarovski based on her needs and budget. The sale really came down to being treated seriously by the rep.. GF has a master's degree in education, has a great career and is president of her union and constantly gets treated like a "little girl", it's really interesting and somewhat frustrating. At B&H photo in NYC she couldn't get a salesman to show her any "real" binoculars because they sized her up and assumed any piece of crap will do. When I go in to look at camera gear, they always whip out the top shelf stuff right away, stuff I can neither afford or really need.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Sales 101.... they teach that **** in car sales seminars.

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cowabunga - 3 Grand for a spotting scope !!!

9. Bones

Birding is her life.

tery likes this.
  10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

10-4 … I just had no idea of their price range .

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

the power of capitalism is that you can spend where you want for the result you want. There is a perverse amusement when witnessing sales people completely misreading a customer and blowing an easy sale through inward looking, selfish mistakes... I know exactly the dude you are describing... Willy Loman actually has very very little introspection going on... so, he may or may not understand the gesture of not buying from him... likely as not, he'll wave it off, it is what he does.

P-Nutz likes this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And the guy was probably just a sales hack that learned the talking points.

At least she was kind enough to let him bury himself completely.

I've said it before Bones. I'm glad you're back posting pictures. Keep them coming, we love them.

Owenmoney, getbent and Bones like this.
  13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

The other day, my wife used the word “mansplaining” wrong.

I don’t know what to do...

Flakey, boneyguy, BigDaddyLH and 6 others like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've witnessed this phenomena happen. It has been done to me and I have done it to others. I think as long as you have self confidence, it is no big deal and should not necessarily be a deal breaker. FWIW.

Speaking of optics, one of my biggest mistakes in life was to look through a friend's Swarovski binoculars.

getbent likes this.
  15. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I am in sales, and one of the the first rules is know your customer. I sometimes begin my pitch with "How much do you know about our product?" This helps give me a feel for what level of detail I should go into. It also gives me the opportunity to dispel any misconceptions.

16. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Change “GF” to “Ms. Nutz” and that’s exactly us!

getbent and Bones like this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:lol: Love it when that happens.

Living near Canada I picked up the TV broadcast channels, thus treated to the unforgettable Red Green!
    I don't see TV these days but back then I noticed that Canadian TV had overall superior programming.

brookdalebill and Bones like this.
  18. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Good optics are addictive!

I dropped a grand on last of the MIJ Vortex Razors. Out performed the Swarovski's, Zeiss and Leicas at the same price point. That was top of the line for Vortex. Swarovski's just get better and better the more you spend.

Don't ever look through them if you're happy with what you have! I was happy with Nikon's till I tried the Vortex then went on a shopping spree. Thankfully $1000 was more than I should have spent so no problem even entertaining the next level.

MickM and Obsessed like this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Ya know...

I'm starting to look at TDPRI as a virtual Possum Lodge with all the old fart characters here....

:D

skunqesh and tery like this.
  20. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

You want to have some REAL fun?

Take a national level defensive pistol competitor into a gun store and have her start looking at professional level handguns.

The salesman will have her down at the other end of the counter in 10 seconds because "Shes a girl" and needs an anemic little pocket sized pop gun!

Then watch the deer in the headlights look when she starts asking about sight radius, trigger pull weight, over travel, trigger creep and what the difference between the pop gun and the $3500 competition pistol she came to buy is!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.