With the most profound...... Bill Lawrence RIP

Option1

Tele-Meister
Very sad. May he rest in peace.

I'll give the tele with his keystones in a bash tonight in his honour.

Neil

allen082

Friend of Leo's
I received a shipping notification from Becky last night for a set of pickups I ordered about 10 days before Bill passed away. Made me real happy to see that email. And not just because of the pickups that will arrive in a few days.

Steveareno

Tele-Afflicted
My late, but sincere condolances. May Bill RIP. The whole family and team where really helpful when I ordered twin blades a couple of years ago. Of course I did my homework first and everything I found, increased my interest and desire. The greatest, most soulful pickups, with no hum, super tone and classy looks. Like others have said, he's up there with Leo, Les, Chet, Bigsby, Roy, DG, JH, Eldon and all the other greats we've lost since I discovered telecasters back in the 60's.

God bless and Swang on in heaven.

surfco

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for the designs you made! You made the music world a better one! Rest in Peace, Bill. You will be truly missed.

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
So sad to hear of the passing of another legend. Bill inspired me to be a tinkerer and builder.

Stan Martin

Tele-Afflicted
sad news indeed

Bill was always willing to help with an issue. He will be missed.

Thoughts and prayers to the family

loggerboots

Tele-Meister
wow, sad news. I didn't know the guy, but I have a set of his pickups in my Jimmie Vaughan strat and they sound great.

I've been trying to sell that guitar (not because it doesn't sound great, but more 'layout' issues).

I think I'll hang onto it now.

gwjensen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My condolences to Becky and her family. I got a set of Bill's Keystones a few weeks before he passed and I'll always treasure them. To me, they're more than just excellent pickups; they're my little piece of guitar history, and when I hear the pure, clear, tones coming out of my guitar, I'm reminded of his great contributions to the instrument and his quiet pursuit of excellence. He will be greatly missed.

rockinstephen

Tele-Meister
I'm late to this thread, but I had to get a word in. I have Bill Lawrence sound hole pickups hardwired into both of my Blueridge acoustics, a 6 string and a 12. They are really great. Mr. Lawrence knew what he was doing...

Cat MacKinnon

Friend of Leo's
i just found out about Bill's passing a couple days ago (researching the L500 for a possible Alex Lifeson/Sportscaster type build), and i was saddened by the news. my deepest condolences to Becky and the family.

Bill's contributions to the music world are innumerable and he led a good and productive long life. we're lucky to have had him "in our corner"! i think he was sorely underrated in musician's media, but i also like to think us guitarists knew better than that; even if the guitar mags didn't talk about him nearly as much as the "other" guys, we all knew who he was and were always excited to see what he'd come up with next! the fact that he seemed to have a thriving pickup business for all these years, with comparatively little advertising or promotion, is a true testament to the quality and ingenuity that he put into all of his pickups.

it's sad that he's gone, but he lived a long life and provided us with a lifetime of innovative stuff that we won't soon forget. i'm glad Becky and the family is keeping that legacy going!

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
I know that this is a late one at best.

When I was kid in the early early 80's, I only had eyes for a dual humbucker strat, kinda a copy of a Charvel San Dimas one, tobacco burst and bindings, maple neck, felt like and old friend too.
But what knocked me out(and I was just a dumb teen, but my parents always taught me about music and such) was the dual L-500 set that it had, both was the clean version...
I just knew that I had to get that guitar or one close to it with Bill Lawrence pickups:D

Have had alot of other guitars throughout the times, but I never forgot that clear and beautiful sound those pickups had.
Then I got older and read alot about Bill, loved how it was not just the guitars, but also science, philosophy, knowledge, and a will to be decent and do things the right way.

When I heard the sad news in November I shed a tear, sat around a while and thought about life, and what persons that have had some impact on my life.

I work with sound and guitars, so it is only natural that Mr Lawrence had impact on my life, and what I heard as good sounds.
A few hours later I got myself back to work on some stuff, I installed a pair of Microcoils in my CS Tele, got the set of L-90's that I had bought for my old 91 Ibanez R540 RR.

Played them and adjusted them, and felt alot better about them afterwards.
In simple terms, they made me happy, and they where they belong now!

I am just writing as it comes, there is no deep point to all of this, nothing but that feeling of that we have lost something very precious.

Once again rest easy, and thank you for all the thoughts and sounds you gave to us all!

Becky Lawrence

Tele-Meister
Vendor Member
One year

I thought to read this TDPRI thread from last year and all your wonderful, heartfelt postings. Thank You!

A year has passed since we lost Bill. I stay busy and keep on keeping on making Bill's pickups.....very much appreciate your continued support too!

You know that Bill was a regular follower at this here venue. I continuously read the impact of his steady education because YOU understood his clear concern for musicians to gain a basic foundation of knowledge to make an educated decision. Bravo Mr. Lawrence for your hard work as a Musician, Designer Engineer.

Here are a few very nice pics of Bill from over the years- a hardworking man even at 82 years old!

Love,

Becky
www.billlawrence.com

Attachments

• BLGermany.jpg
    BLGermany.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BL_article.jpg
    BL_article.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 79
  • BLNYC.jpg
    BLNYC.jpg