With so many wanting vintage tone why but a avri and change the pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Owenmoney, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm glad you said so, Fred. I'm very pleased with the OV pickups in my 2004 '52 RI. I think Fender nailed it with those pickups if you look for an early 50's Telecaster tone!:cool:

2. Becky Lawrence

Becky Lawrence Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Thought I'd jump in here:

Bill Lawrence always supported a healthy competition in the marketplace. At the same time, he fought that designers had protection and were fairly compensated for their hard work of research, design and development.

Believe me, it is positive for guitarist to have available the small business pickup choices, including our friends Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin and Wolfe Macleod to name a few, versus a monopoly by the big boys to control the market.

America was built up on the small business concept. For example, a well-known, small business bass builder contacted me after Bill passed away to share his condolences. In the e-mail, he told me, like many others, how Bill had touched his life. He wrote that Bill advised him years ago to stay small with his business, and he considers it the best business advice anyone has ever given him, especially since he is still independently in business today, 30 years later, AND makes a profit.

Thanks,

Becky

http://www.billlawrence.com/

3. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Cause it's fun?

4. Telemarkman

It's always a good thing to have multiple choice!

5. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Yup and true to the original idea of Leo's. I don't think Leo intended his pickups to ever have the charms that "boutique" builder's pickups have.

6. Telemarkman

Amen!:cool:

7. oozymouf

oozymouf TDPRI Member

I think it's more about getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to stock specs, and for some people that tele is a good starting place for mods.

I played the EJ strat and thought the neck was awesome, and I pretty much wanted the same neck without the price tag (and without building a partscaster, I just don't trust myself that much yet). I was set on the classic player 50's strat because it has a comparable neck at a lower price point, but the baja started calling my name when I really thought about what I wanted tone-wise (similar neck, too).

I'm on v3.0 of my baja so far: thought it sounded awesome stock, but wanted noiseless. went emg for a while and thought it sounded awesome, but was kind of bummed that I couldn't mod the wiring / cap values because of the nature of the solderless EMG system (which btw, is AWESOME for people that don't want to worry about soldering). Went back to regular single coils and did some heavy modding to turn it into a Nashville-style tele, but with a super-switch and some cool wiring options...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Becky Lawrence

Becky Lawrence Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Thanks FredDairy. I will share your compliment with others I know in the boutique business because I am always charmed by hardworking, decent people who perform an honest day's work. It's why Bill Lawrence charmed me for over 22 years.

The Main Attack against the American Middle Class and our American Way of Life has been targeted against its Small Business Format.

I posted the following on Facebook today, "What astonishes me in the United States is not so much the marvelous grandeur of some undertakings as the innumerable multitude of small ones. As this statement suggests, small businesses have long been central to American life. In fact, from the founding of the first colonies in the 1600s to the present day, small businesses have been integral to the economic, political, and cultural development of the United States."
    http://uncpress.unc.edu/browse/page/220

Becky

http://www.billlawrence.com/

9. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

I picked the Hot Rod tele I have because of the amazing bridge pickup, and I'm pretty sure that's a fender. I know the SD mini hum gets the attention with this model but I can take it or leave it... It's the fender pickup that's the nuts.

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Its a modded broadcaster type.. wound hotter with reverse polarity so it would pair up with the SD mini.. Many have compared it with the SD broadcaster pup which I understand is a very close match. It's also my favorite bridge pickup..

11. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I liked my American Special when I first got it but when I compared the sound to my '52 AVRI, I had to switch pickups to the OVs - glad I did. I also have a MIJ '62 with OV pickups- great vintage tone.

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

in the spirit of supporting small businesses and the BL legacy, i just ordered an L500L.:D

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Becky kind of hijacked the thread. ;-) Good to know you are still there and in business. My condolences for your loss. I live in Köln (Cologne), Bill's town of birth and I did have a band with one Holger Maria Stich in the 1990s - maybe a relative of Bill who came to this world as Willi Lorenz Stich in the skirts of Köln. Holger Maria's Family lives in Köln-Wahn, where Bill was born.

Anyway, as good it is to have so many options, there is no need to change pickups in an AVRI in my humble opinion, except if you're looking for a very different sound from these guitars or if you can't tolerate the hum. For a stereotypical tele sound fender nailed it with these PUs IMO - I've been given that feedback by musicians and engineers also. When I built a partscaster last year, i tried some bardens on a friends recommendation. Good pickups but personally I missed something so after a/b-ing my partscaster with the AV I got a pair of AV-Pickups for that guitar too. I am totally satisfied with the results, I think these pickups are as good as it gets for vintage tele tone.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not sure what "tone" I was looking for when I bought a fender tele... someone just showed up with one for sale... I had a good Strat already,, I thought the tele would be a good partner..;)

a fender tele "tone" I guess.... I expected it to sound like the guitar it was.... and it was up to me to get the sounds out of it... who was I to judge the fender factory in the US?....;)

I leave my US ones as they are.... saw no reason to change them.... "because I can"... I've got an OV set I've had here for 2 yrs and haven't used them yet.....

I can make other Teles for a different PU swap.... too easy...;)

15. absurdplanet

absurdplanet Tele-Meister

I play a '52 AVRI, it sounds great. However, sometimes we do a gig playing a Blackface style amp and and it can be a little ice-picky. I have another Tele--it's loaded with a Fralin Blues pickup. Over wound about 5%, a little darker tone and perhaps its a good thing. Some rooms or some of the your gigs, you have a little too much twang or the ice pick thing--it just hurts some peoples ears. Like the Nocastors with their hotter pickups--maybe a little more beef can be be good. Also, playing vintage Blackface non-master amps or something close at low volume--it can be a little too bright at times. If I could always play my Deluxe Reverb or Twin at 7 or 8--I wouldn't worry about a darker pup. But I can't. So the creamy tone from an over wound Fralin comes into play. Taste is subjective--my opinion doesn't mean squat.
    Lately, I've been running a Honey Bee in my rig--first booster I've used in 20 years. Maybe a Zen Drive is next--and little boost is great. A subtle boost, darker tone helps at low volume. Also, I may have to accept more Rock style gigs to play. Most of the usual Blues gigs have dried up. The times they are a changin'.
    Just my 2¢.

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

there are a lot of better pickups than the Fender OV
    thats what the op is finding hard to believe I guess.
    I dont.

I changed my OV out with Fred Stuart Blackguards and couldnt be happier.

there is nothing wrong with the OVs per se, doesnt mean your guitar cant sound better with different pickups.

depends on what AVRI too, the 62 Jaguar I wouldnt change pickups, or the 57ri Strat either. well, maybe I would who cares? its half a dozen soldering joints.
    sometimes a lateral change is just as good. dont think of it as better or worse but different.

as for the original idea of leos? that was for the consumer to swap all parts! he thought instead of a refret just throw the neck away and get a new one, lol

17. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Funny how opinions are. I've had the complete opposite findings. :lol: I couldn't find a better Tele pickup then the stock AV at the time. I went through 3 or 4 AV '57ris and thought they all sounded like crap and changed the pickups out. Wasn't until I got a PV '56 that I actually found a good sounding stock Fender Strat.

18. surfoverb

also pickups sound different in different guitars. You have to match them up for the best results.

If you never swap you will never know if there is a difference, if its better, or if its worse.

19. surfoverb

i had an early 57RI, well not 1980s early but the ones with the molded shaped case. (mid-late 1990s?) I should have kept it! that was a sweet Strat and I dont even like Strats

also the tele is so easy to swap pickups its very tempting. The Strat, Jazz, and Jaguar comparatively is a nightmare, lol

sounds fine to me! (puts jazzmaster pickguard back on)

20. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Which is probably the best answer to question in the thread title.

Curiosity has a lot to do with all this as well. There is much to be learned by trying some pickup swaps. Even if you just learn that the stock ones were fine. You can always change them back.

And Fenders are the ultimate tinkerers guitar, of course other guitars can be tinkered with too, but Fender designs lend themselves to it the most IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.