1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wish, DH Gate, Too Cheap? Taking one for the Team

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Troubleandahalf, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Lately there has been a profusion of cheap shopping sites, the two I mention offer startling cheap guitar things of all types, including luthier tools, and, pickups.

We need to get to the bottom of this. I volunteer. Just ordered a set of zebra pickups for 15 bucks. We note they mention the Ohms. If they're trying to hustle me, they're putting in some work.

Will keep you posted. Screenshot_20200827-164235.png Screenshot_20200827-164222.png Screenshot_20200827-164107.png

rangercaster likes this.
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck! I'm rootin for ya!

Looks like you gets some bridge plate screws as well.

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m still a firm believer in you get what you pay for

Although a lot of luthier tools have non-luthier counterparts that are way cheaper, because adding the word luthier on always adds to the price

I’ve given up on cheap alternatives like that the tolerances are never close enough

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have bought inexpensive pickups, as little as $9 for a P90 from China, with no complaints whatsoever. However, I once bought a Stratocaster bridge rail style pickup for less than $5, shipped. It was microphonic and I couldn't even use it. It went right in the trash.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Troubleandahalf likes this.
  5. Troubleandahalf

Pretty skeptical myself but willing to be surprised. These tool kits usually have a couple different variations, with a different main piece. In this case the fret file. But I can't bring myself to order that either. Unless the pickups are dope

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Troubleandahalf

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kolleginnen,

We have pickups. Our 15 bucks got 2 Belcat marked zebra pickups.
    Measure 9.6 and 10.5 on my meter.

A little looking online says Jackson at least uses this brand. I like how my cheap Jackson sounds, this is promising.
    Warming up the soldering iron...

Attached Files:

rangercaster and tubegeek like this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Wish or DH Gate?

8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I’m with you on the luthier tools, but I have gotten some excellent pickups for less than $10 through eBay and Amazon.

I ordered a pedalboard really cheap from Wish once. There were three sizes available and chose and paid for the largest - I received the smallest. It was dirt cheap so I just gave it to my son to use for a couple of bass pedals. It was well constructed and held up well, but I didn’t even try to go through a return process - not worth the hassle. First and last Wish purchase. Most cheap stuff you can get for a little more $$ from eBay or Amazon - it’s worth a small amount more to have their complaint and return processes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Bad experiences with Wish and DHGate. Good experiences with Alibaba and Ali Express. Just need to be patient with China Post.

10. Troubleandahalf

Wish.
    I just finished installing them, actually finished flipping them around after installing them. I thought I preferred the look of white bobbins out (Laces Out Dan!) but those are the slug side and it sounded kind of... Off.
    Now turned around (Screw Side Out Dan!) I believe that this is how they are supposed to sound. I'll want to raise them up a little bit- compared to the Fender Modern Players that previously occupied the space they are a tad lacking in Oomph. Better string definition though. Interesting.
    Initial impression, not the greatest deal in history, these aren't some great undiscovered secret, but it's not a rip off either. I just might leave them in a while, or at least until a Randy set (Jazz/SD) in zebra comes up used.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.