Wish all my guitars had a bellycut

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wutmornin, Sep 21, 2013.

1. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

I never appreciated the contoured back on my Stratocasters until I got home from the hospital after a gut cut surgery and couldn't stand the edges on my telecasters and acoustics against my belly.

When I first sat down with an acoustic I found I couldn't play it without a pillow against my gut so I borrowed an ovation and found it was better. Later I was able to stand and play but found I had to wear the tele up high against my ribs or I couldn't take it long, but the strats were fine.

My surgery was supposed to be a simple laparoscopic gall bladder removal but I had way too much scar tissue from previous intrusions on my insides and it turned into a mess quickly and now I am laid up for 6 weeks (10 days to go). This makes somewhere between 36 and 42 inches of scars on my gut depending on if you count reopened scars twice or not. It only hurts when I play my guitars or laugh or when someone laughs at my guitar playing.

I never appreciated the tummy cut on the strats and deluxe telecasters until now, after this I might start looking at guitars and their ergonomics differently.

Do you appreciate the cut and miss it on the standard teles and other square edge guitars?

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

All the best for your recovery.

I'm coming round to your way of thinking, not just with belly cuts, but with arm contours, too. If I ever build another tele I'm going contour crazy. I rarely play my strat, but when I do it's so damn comfy.

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

When I ordered my warmoth's I got them with the tummy, arm & heel contours. I like the feel better than my strat. They seem to be getting further and further away from me as I get older though. Being a 30 year strat player, I feel like I have to "look over the edge" on a regular tele.

Good luck on the recovery. Fact: listening and playing music has been shown to speed recovery!!! There's you excuse! Have fun!

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't like "tummy cuts" on guitars, but I wish you a speedy recovery.

5. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

thanks for all the best wishes, I am fine and getting better daily, bored as all get out now and eager to return to work. My post count went from 50 some to Tele-meister status in the past 6 weeks!

Just curious- does anyone else put the value on the tummy cut that I do? I will be considering this feature when looking at guitars from now on, never gave it a thought besides weight reduction before this surgery.

6. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

I'm with you. I disliked my Tele because it was uncomfortable to play. Now I'm gassing big time for another. I plan on building a partscaster Tele, and it will have a contoured back.

7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put a belly cut in my first blueprint tele, before I knew there was any big deal about it either way, and it is very comfortable to play. I left it off the next two, but my next one will probably have all kinds of contour cuts, to cut weight as much as anything, since I'm using myrtlewood next time.

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

image-607643216.jpg

Got rid of mine because of not having contours. Kind of felt like I was playing a cutting board. I guess thats where this guy got the idea.

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I prefer the belly cut and arm contour. Don't give a rip about what anyone thinks is "right"...except me.
    That said, my current build has neither. Hopefully we'll get along well. If not I can always sell it.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

It only takes a real man a second to add the cuts. Well you have to have a real man tool.

Attached Files:

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's how Leo originally did it. By a strange quirk of fate, he had been drinking excessively just prior to experimenting with the body contours, and his hands weren't too steady. One slip took a big chunk out of the upper bout, giving the guitar a second cutaway.

Leo kept at it, though (must have been the whiskey), and the second slip stabbed a hole straight through the body, right where the bridge mounts. Not wanting to throw a way a perfectly good body, though, he started thinking about away to build a bridge that would work with that big hole there.

He figured out that he could screw the front of the bridge down with six wood screws, but when he strung it up the rear of the bridge immediately pulled up.

Rummaging through his parts box he found a block of steel and some springs, which he rigged to the bridge to counter the pull of the springs.

And this, kids, is how the Stratocaster came to be.

12. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Whoa. This story is so eerily familiar. It's exactly what happened to me, but with vodka.

Attached Files:

13. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

I have two telecasters, one with belly cut and one without. When I switch between them, I don't even notice the difference. Maybe it's the way I hold my guitar a little off to the side or something, but I don't seem to notice if he belly cut is there or not. I'm almost always standing when I play, so maybe that makes a difference as well.

14. Frodebro

Cool, that's a fine example of an Oopsycaster!

15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Funny. I always held mine kind of "off center". I'm a skinny boney guy and I had to hold it that way to keep it from hitting my hipbone(?) I guess upper part of my pelvis would be more accurate. My Strat doesn't seem to have that issue.

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They seem 'right' on Strats... but belly cuts and forearm contours are sacrilege on a Tele (to me).

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I find even a pretty small bevel makes a big difference.

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I never had a guitar with any contours until about a month ago when I bought my first Jazzmaster. It's an extremely comfortable guitar to play and I really like the contours, especially the arm contour. I think the contour is a very useful feature. Not a deal breaker, but nice to have.

19. Frodebro

I agree. Better to have a few ribs surgically removed and your shoulder reset than to desecrate a classic design.

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

A belly with a telecut then?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.