Wisconsin- cheeseheads, check in

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by blowtorch, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Madtown -- 1976-81. Wife grew up in Middleton (we met at UW). Parents live on Henry Street, sister on Blair and Sister-in-law in Stoughton. Just came back from a long weekend there to see my (aging) parents. Both parents, both siblings and I went to UW...

Dan Spiffy Neuman likes this.
  2. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

What are everyone's favorite places to play within 30-45 minutes of Milwaukee?

I'm a big fan of the up and under.

I've also done stuff at Fixture brewing in Waukesha. The owner (Steve) is a great guy. I was sad to hear he got shut down a couple weeks ago for not having the correct brewing licenses or something. I'm hoping he gets it sorted and opens again soon.

3. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

I think I remember Cellar Subs. On State Street, right? I do remember a sandwich shop, I think it was on Gilman, sort of across from the original Rocky Rococo. Great deli sandwiches. I think I had moved away just before Headliners opened. Madison was great back then.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep! I remember they had a BLT sub, which was actually a novelty back then.

And yeah, lots of folks would never believe how great Rocky's USED to be...

Regarding Headliners, EVERYone played that little joint, before they were famous, including U2.

Muddy Waters used to jam at the Nitty Gritty, before it became a boring birthday/burger bar

I'm not even originally from Madison, but you hang around long enough somewhere, and eventually you get to remember lots of things

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

I was there in '76 and '77. Lived on Baldwin St. just off of E. Washington. My brother still lives there on the far east side.

6. blowtorch

Wondering if anyone who lived in Madison some time back remembers the downstairs guitar shop on the same block as State St Brats

7. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Yeah, Rocky's was actually great stuff when they first opened. I think it won The Isthmus 'best pizza' award for several years.

Madison was such a great music town then, not sure about now. I remember playing at an open jam at The Pub with Doug Yankus, Dave Fass, Bob Corbit, and others. I was 20 or 21...just a kid from rural Wisconsin..on stage with these great players. I remember playing a solo on some George Benson type jazz tune, and it was okay. But then Yankus played a solo and brought down the house. Standing ovation for a guitar solo. My young ego was crushed, and I remember putting my guitar in its case and saying that I would never play again. Well that lasted about two hours.

Dr Improbable and blowtorch like this.
  8. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Don't remember that one. I did buy my first electric (a hollow body Univox) at a long-gone music store on State St, but not the place you're looking for.

9. blowtorch

The Isthmus changed hands some time back, they relatively suck now. They are just like every other town's local "about town" paper now, very safe (again, relatively) and all about ads. The singer in one of my bands has worked there forever.

I've played with Bob Corbit. His gimmick of playing two saxes simultaneously never fails to bring the house down

10. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Wausau here. Center of the state.
    7bc61b9147b11ac6f416d10488fd1ed9.jpg

11. blowtorch

Hey Doc Improb, you ready for the big storm?

Dr Improbable likes this.
  12. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I was a bouncer on Friday and Saturday nights at Rocky's on State St. the summer of 77 -- apparently, I bounced my (future) brother-in-law a couple of times when he was in high school!

We went to see the Police at Headliners back in 78 or 79 with a local band, Spooner, backing them up. The Police rather sucked (having very few songs in their set) and the crowd gave Spooner much more love. I also remember before headliners, when it was just the Church Key and when Cheap Trick played frequently at the Stone Hearth on the corner of Park and (maybe) Bassett right across the railroad tracks from the Southeast dorms.

13. blowtorch

I've never seen the Police, but I've seen Spooner lots!

bsman likes this.
  14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I've probably seen you around, then -- since I probably saw almost every time they played from 1976-1981!

15. Dr Improbable

Hec
    Heck yeah!

16. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Madison, and always down to get together and play with guitars.

Fav Madison venue was Luther's Blues. And the worst venue I've played globally is The Rave in Milwaukee.

17. Dr Improbable

Bob Corbit is still around. I used to play in a band with him back in the day:
    1010995_648234755206309_1746722590_n.jpg

18. blowtorch

Yeah I played Luthers a few times while it was around. The sound was not the greatest, with all those hard surfaces for everything to bounce around off, but it was an awesome place both to play and see acts perform

19. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Might be remembering through rose tinted ears but I thought it had the best sound of any venue in Madison.

20. journeyman

journeyman TDPRI Member

Best show ever seen at The Rave - Jeff Beck... *LONG* time ago...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.