Wiring with 3-way switch help?

Fhuytufty21

TDPRI Member
Hey everyone, this is a part of my first build. After a few hours of trying to troubleshoot I can’t figure out my issue. I’ve built a telecaster with a three way switch as well as a push/pull tone pot for series/parallel switching.
For some reason, the neck position works, but the position where both pickups should be activated does not. The single bridge selection doesn’t work either. The push pull does activate both of them as intended, so I believe this is a problem with the wiring I’ve done on the switch.
I’ve also tried a mirrored version of what I have set up right now(which is the image I included). And that didn’t seem to work.
If anyone has any guidance for me, please let me know. Also, I hope this is the right place to put this post, I am new here. If I am supposed to put this elsewhere let me know.

Attachments

• F9C93B25-F153-4E08-9053-2D97324BBE80.jpeg
    F9C93B25-F153-4E08-9053-2D97324BBE80.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 26

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
No experience with installing series/parellel push-pull or togle....I put a 4 Way switch in Teles generally. Sometimes I goof up and have to reverse the polarity of the wires from the switch to the pickups.

peterg

Tele-Meister
A couple things:
Can you post more pictures?
What’s going on with the red tape?
The switch you are using is not the same as the one in the diagram. The poles are is different positions. I will post more info once I have it in hand.

Fhuytufty21

TDPRI Member
A couple things:
Can you post more pictures?
What’s going on with the red tape?
The switch you are using is not the same as the one in the diagram. The poles are is different positions. I will post more info once I have it in hand.
About the red tape: one wire was a bit too short so I soldered another one onto it and used electrical tape to seal that joint. I know this isn’t the best option but I figured it would work just fine? If I need to replace that wire, I can.

The switch was from the stewmac telecaster wiring kit. I don’t have extensive electronics knowledge - I am still in high school, but I am working on it.

Will add some pictures, but be warned, it is not very neat so if any clarification is needed I would be happy to tell you whatever you need to know and I am sorry for any troubles this may cause.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 19

peterg

Tele-Meister
Oh my! You weren’t kidding about it not being very neat🤪. We all have to start somewhere. Good for you for taking on this project!

It’s really hard to see for certain but I suspect you have some cold solder joints (solder hasn’t completely melted) and/or stray wire strands grounding out or touching other wires or component tabs.

When preparing a wire you need to strip off a short piece of covering, twist the exposed strands together and tin it (melt solder on it). This will keep the strands together and help create a good joint when connecting the wires to components.

I suggest you carefully desolder the wires, clean up the components and start over. Keep your wires as short as possible, without causing them strain, and check each joint. They should be smooth and shiny.

Good luck!

Moldy Oldy

Tele-Holic
What does “The push pull does activate both of them as intended.” mean precisely? Are you saying you get both pickups in one position and nothing in the other? If so, which position works, in or out? Also just checking, have you tried it when the plate is out of the cavity to eliminate the possibility something is shorting against your shielding?