wiring the mains on the power transformer for 230V

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dimitree, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Dimitree

Dimitree Tele-Meister

hi guys, I'm going to wire this power transformer for my Princeton Reverb build:

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/291AEX.pdf

I live in EU and the mains voltage at my house is 230V.
    Should I match 230V by using those taps

- blue/yellow (110V)
    - brown connected to black (120V)
    - white (0V)

or should I simply tap at blue and white (and still brown connected to black) to aim at 240V?

2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Since it's there, use the 230V tap. Seems to have taps to cater for various mains voltages.

3. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

I'd question whether it really is 230V where you live. If you've got a meter, measure it at the time of day you usually play the guitar. Ideally a few other times of day too.

The 230V is a compromise between 220V and 240V grids while allowing them to remain unmodified and remain within 10%.

However, in the dodgy old bit of the UK where I live, with our creeky wiring, the highest I've seen it is 258V. It's also browned out my PC by dropping below 200V - that was caused by a network fault though.

trancedental likes this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Those Hammond diagrams make my brain hurt. How exactly does he wire it for 230, assuming it is 230?

4EBA5F92-556D-430F-8DB4-EA30F8467DC7.jpeg

As for where to aim, besides actual wall measurement, which HV tap will you use (?maybe the 325), and what’s your target B+? If you had 230 at the wall, 240 wiring would knock your B+ down a bit, which some builders or amps appreciate — and some don’t.

5. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

You can connect white to neutral, join black to brn, then blue/yel to hot for 230V (120 + 110). i think that's the only combination as the other combination gives 220.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.