Wiring template for a 335?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Mark the Moose, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Hi. Not looking for a wiring diagram, but a pdf template of holes for a 335-style guitar. Then I can do most of my soldering on the desktop before attaching pickup wires and the bridge ground. I can make one if needed, just hoped to save a spot of time.

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, if you drop the pots/switch, get a piece of paper and trace the relevant holes and transfer to cardboard -- that's what I did! Pretty quick and its your exact fit!

3. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

If you make the template out of cardboard or something stiff you can mount all your components in it and wire it with the correct spacing. It's easier to mount them if they are spaced correctly.

4. Mark the Moose

That’s what I’ve done before, just thought it would be nice to have a printed template I could tape to the cardboard. My prior traces have been a little rough.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems to me that it takes more steps & time to find a ready made template than simply grabbing a pencil & paper and tracing it out. $0.02...

Danb541 likes this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Depends if someone has one at the ready..."you have not because you ask not"

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I made a template from my plans, used it to drill the holes while the back was off. I then wire the guitar with the components in their holes. Just talked about this at the DIY form, I'll repeat some pictures I just posted there

IMG_3301.JPG

I like to make sure the harness will fit thru the f-hole in case I ever have to take it out

IMG_3302.JPG

I like to put a terminal strip in the pickup cavities so I don't have to fish the p/u wires in later and try to solder them to the pots

IMG_3324.JPG

Next I mask the holes and leave the components inside. I put a little piece of string (actually dental floss) on each going to the hole

IMG_3332.JPG

Put the back on, finish the guitar. With a dental probe remove the masking tape and pull the components into place.

IMG_3394.JPG

Install the pups and connect to the terminals

IMG_3395.JPG

Infinitely easier than trying to fish the whole mess thru the f-hole

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used to make hollowbody guitar harnesses for sale. I made my templates out of pegboard. I traced the outline of the particular body I needed, found the centerline, and located all control holes by referencing a datum point. I fudged it a bit when it was time to drill the holes, using the nearest peg board hole. A regular masonite board will work too, but these are quick n efficient as far as I'm concerned.

pegboard-face-side.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Mark the Moose likes this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

10. Mark the Moose

I punched holes through paper laying on the guitar and transferred the pattern to cardboard. I like the idea of terminal strips in the cavity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.