Wiring Suggestions

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Shadowrunner, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Tele-Meister

Hi, all!

So, I'm building an HH thinline Tele, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with the wiring. Oh, sure, I could put in a couple of pots and a switch and call it a day. I could go crazy and and put in a push/pull or two for coil-splitting. But I've got a sort of a blank canvas here.

What can I do? Number of pots and switches isn't set. Let's get creative, here :D

2. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

I love an interesting wiring scheme, but these days I like simple better. I reckon

250k pots but tone pot to be no load
    parallel treble bleed on the volume
    coil cut switch on neck only
    standard 3way switch, Tele type or toggle if preffered
    Phase switch if you like them

3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

My advice would depend on your choice of pickups.

Assuming they're both 4-wire hums, do they have strong enough character when split, or will one or both of them need some compensation?

4. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I once had this kind of project and installed two SK Dualtone II Humbuckers. It was not in a Tele but in an old semi hollow Ibanez. These pickups sounded great and had excellent single coil sounds. In fact think their Dualtone II as a Strat coil in series with a P90 style pup, so both single coil pups sound great on their own and together they sound like a hot humbucker. I installed two 3 position mini switches in addition to the standard 3 pos selector with master volume and master tone.

That said if you are more after vintage humbuckers, you should forget the coil splitting. Very often such pickups sound better with volume down than splitted !

edit : and about pot value : go for 500k pots for humbucker, and if you choose the split option you can find 500K/250K dual pot'

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  5. Shadowrunner

Oh, great question. The pickups are Pearly Gates

I'm loving this, everyone, keep it coming!

6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

What does the PU manufacturer suggest for pots? The age-old rule of thumb is 500k for humbuckers. I would lean to at least 500k and consider 1meg pots. My feeling is that you can always cut highs with a good tone circuit, but you can't create them after the fact. That being said, my Thinlines are stock FWR pickups. I am not sure they can be beat, so they remain in use. I also stayed with the standard 3 way switch layout. Call me boring, but anything more than an on/off switch gives me too many options.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's what I did with an HH Tele:

Converted it to an Esquire/Junior. 4-way switch controlling both bobbins, lowered pickup with raised screw poles for more tone separation, reversed control plate so the switch isn't hanging up use of the volume knob. I get 'Tele neck'/Strat #2 Quack/Tele Bridge Twang/LP bridge humbucker.

[​IMG]

8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I'd probably go with a standard three-way and one or two push-pull pots to split the humbuckers, either splitting both with one pull or having separate split control for each.

I find it handy to have a split neck sound and full strength bridge, so I can go full lead with just a flick. If you think there'd be room, you could use two mini switches instead of push-pulls.

Pearly Gates are vintage output so it would be helpful to wire resistors in the connections to ground the way PRS does on the Grissom model. When split, instead of giving you just one coil this arrangement keeps in a bit of signal from the other coil to keep the sound from being too weak.

PRS uses a 1.1K for the neck and a 2.2K for the bridge. This works well with vintage to vintage-hot pickups. Hot modern humbuckers don't need this but it's very helpful with PAF types which are pretty wimpy when split.

Another option would be to use a five-way. Switches are available which give you the same coil configurations as PRS rotary wiring; these are tonally useful combinations and they retain full noise rejection in all positions as long as you flip the magnet in your bridge pickup.

Or you could use a five-way Superswitch; that way you could design your own custom combinationsfromscratch. That would be more flexible but also more complicated and it would take some work to figure out exactly how to wire the switch for what you want.

9. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

Here's the rub - you are going to get a thousand opinions here. If this is a new axe with pickups you are unfamiliar with, start with the simplest configuration. Find out what the rig does and doesn't do with your amp. Analyze first and customize second. The guitar and your ears will give you the proper heading, not us.

10. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

I totally agree with that, start with a simple wire-up and then decide what kind of extra tones you might want, if any. Thats my approach too.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Shadowrunner

Your point is well taken, but that is exactly what I wanted. I'm not an electrician or a wiring expert, so I'm looking for possibilities.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.