Wiring questions on new guitar

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zorgzorg2, Jan 6, 2010.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I just got myself a brand new squier strat hss: it’s a great guitar overall, I'm glad I got it, especially with 30% discount !

However, I have a few doubts about the wiring.
    Checking the owner manual, page 3, it seems position 4 on the switch is supposed to split the humbucker, while the wiring diagram on page 2 indicates the red and white wires from the humbucker are always connected.

Checking inside the guitar, I confirm they are connected. Could there be a mistake in the diagram ?

Moreover, I have the clear impression that the humbucker is not bucking any hum... I see that the green and black wire from the hb are inverted, but I thought that would not change much. Could this however be a reason for the hum ?

Finally, position 4 has a hum too, while position 2 is dead silent. Could this be related to the hb spliting evoked above ?

I think I can manage some resoldering, but I have no clue where to start.
    Any advice ?

Thanks,

Martin

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

IF the wiring in your guitar matches the diagram you have linked to, then your humbucker does NOT split or shunt in throw #4 - it just plays as a humbucker.

The red and white leads are commonly called the series pair - they are the connection between the humbucker's two coils. Connected, the pup plays as a humbucker; if you give that connection a path to ground (or hot) that "shunts" one of the coils, so you get a single-coil tone out of the humbucker. If yours are just soldered together and taped off as in the drawing, then there's no coil-shunt going on.

If the bridge pup's black and green leads are reversed, that is simply to match the phase of the bridge pup to the other pickups. It would have NO EFFECT on how noisy throws #4 and #5 are.

IF you would like your bridge humbucker to auto-shunt in throw #4 like the Fender Fat Strat models do (for a better quack at that throw), it would be an easy mod. You would just have to rewire the 5-way like this:

[​IMG]

IF you label the 5-way's lugs 1 - 8, from left to right:

1. Move the jumper to the volume pot from lug 5 to lug 4, and clip the jumper between lugs 4 and 5, the two common lugs.

2. Move the jumper for the neck tone from lug 8 to lug 3, and solder it there with the neck pup's hot lead.

3. Move the jumper for the mid tone from lug 7 to lug 2, and solder it there with the mid pup's hot lead.

4. Solder the red and white series pair from the bridge pickup to lug 6.

5. Solder a jumper from lug 7 to ground.

NOTE! If this shunts (disables) the coil you wanted to leave playing: to switch which coil stays active, instead of ground, run the jumper from lug 7 to lug 1 and solder it there with the bridge pup's hot.

ONE of the bridge pup's coils will be a RW/RP match for the mid pup, and using that one will keep throw #4 quiet, hopefully as quiet as throw #2.

3. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Hi,

Thanks a lot !
    This confirms my doubts. Strange that the user manual claims that the humbucker is split though...

Martin

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender/ Gibson / Epi manuals SUCK

You would think that after 60 years of basically the same guitar (Tele - Strat) they could AFFORD to have a good, DETAILED manual by now. Controls ect.,. It's not like things have changed much.

I can be hard for a new guy.

Buy a Jazzmaster and see if you can find anything in their generic "Owner's Manual" included.
    When you spend that kind of money, you shouldn't have to go to the Internet to find out what switch does what !!! Pathetic. I have a coffee pot that has a better manual than these guitars I've bought.

I feel better now.

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

imo a split humbucker does not sound like a single coil. It is perhaps useful when a split is added to another single coil pickup in hum-cancelling mode. To me a split humbucker sounds washed-out, feak and weeble.

There are a few humbuckers that are designed to be used split. The ones in my Peavey T40 bass look like they were meant to lift a Russian tank.

6. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

For this idea, the bridge humbucker is only shunt in throw #4, when played WITH the mid pup for a better quack. It's never used alone.

FWIW, a shunted humbucker sounds like a single-coil pickup because a humbucker in shunt mode IS a single-coil pickup. Now, it may not sound like your favorite single-coil, but it IS a single-coil... I have the coil-shunt option on all my guitars, and use it constantly. Careful adjustment of the pickup goes a long way towards getting a better tone out of a shunted humbucker.

The shunted tone, in this case, works just fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.