Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Solex, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Solex

Solex TDPRI Member

Hello Telecasters:

Currently building a Parts Caster and need help on how to wire 2 single coil P90’s, 2 volume and 2 tone. In addition would like use a 3 position import switch. Plenty of information available to do this using a toggle switch, but would like to go with the Fender style. Any suggestions?

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Duncan site has one with V-V-T-T, but only showing with humbuckers. However, the HBs are only wired simply, with two leads, same as you would a single coil. So, think of them as your P90s. (Ignore the red/white leads, and ignore the push-pulls - which aren't used anyway...)

Whether you do it with a Gibson toggle, or a Fender blade, the concept is the same: pickups connect to volume pots, and then to the switch. This is a departure from the typical single-volume setup, where pickups connect to the switch, and then to the vol pot.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wirin...s,neck-h,bridge-h,2-volume,2-tone,3-way-blade

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.41.50 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Mincer likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Could do with a bit more info.
    Are they standard P90s with braided screen wire and there are several "import" switches, is it the common Squier type?

Gibson_P90_sm.jpg 3_way_import#4_sm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Howdy
    I'd add that if you haven't already bought them, order them with 2 conductor leads NOT braided shield style if that's an option. a lot easier to deal with and if down the road you want to do additional switching options you will be able to.

6. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If you’re using a Fender style switch, you might want to use a 4-way switch to get the pickups in series. It should yield a really thick sound, which might be of use. And, like always, I’d recommend 50’s wiring to get the most from your volume and tone controls. (Connect each tone control to the volume pot’s CENTER/OUTPUT lug, not the Input lug.) Have fun!

7. tele_savales

I've never done that. What does it do?

8. tele_savales

Here's one I found after scouring the internet for my last build. It shows the configuration assuming you've got p90's with 2-conductor leads, and doesn't have the exact knob configuration you want. But if you're going to set it up like Paul with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, where will a 3 way blade go? Are you doing this with a pickguard or drilling thru the back of the guitar body? Might be worth it to do it SG style with the toggle right below the bridge.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Telecaster-2-P90s-Installation-Guide.pdf

9. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I assume you’re asking about the 50’s wiring suggestion.

With 50’s wiring, I find that I can maintain treble even if I lower the pickup volume. In other words, with “standard” wiring, if I turn the volume down, the sound gets dull or muddy. 50’s wiring lets you have the same frequency response, just at a lower volume.

You may or may not find it useful, depending on how you interface with your amp. Some people set their guitar volume and tone at “7” and then adjust their amp volume and tone controls based on that. Then, when they go from rhythm to lead, they can go from “7” to “10” and have more volume and treble.

I’m a bedroom player who likes to play tube amps all the way up. For me, 50’s wiring is very versatile. I can have a nice, clear, clean tone at “2” or “3” and add amp distortion simply by changing volume levels. I like that approach, but you can find lots of people who have tried it and went back to standard/modern wiring. It’s worth the experiment, in my opinion, and again, it’s easily reversed if you don’t like it.

10. Solex

Solex TDPRI Member

Thank you for all the replies, what a great forum. The old P90 dog ears have only 2 wires, one conductor and a braided wire. The 3 way switch is the import found on the Squier. This is my challenge since the terminals are all on one side and don’t see a clear drawing that shows this thing wired. Don’t expect to see the exact configuration that I would like, but should be able combine the information with the other drawings to figure it out. Haven’t really decided where I would want to mount the switch, just want to hear what these old dogs sound like.

11. Tuxedo Poly

This should work. It's a modified Seymour Duncan drawing
    The P90 braid is pushed back and soldered to the pot cases. The import switch may not have a grounding point.

P90_2V_2T_3_Way_Import.jpg

12. moosie

Gibson 'vintage' or '50s' wiring is a simple wiring change, but has several effects / side-effects.

The wiring is simply to connect the tone circuit to vol pot output, not input.

The effects are aptly summed up in this excerpt from a Dirk Wacker Mod Garage article...

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25581-mod-garage-switchable-modern-retro-les-paul-wiring

...with ’50s wiring, the guitar’s tone gets stronger and more transparent, and notes seem to “bloom” after being played. Also, when you roll back the volume, you experience less treble loss than on a typical modern Les Paul. In this vintage configuration, the volume and tone controls are less prone to having hot spots—they respond more smoothly and evenly, and it’s easier to clean up an overdriven amp by simply rolling back the volume on your guitar a bit. The tone and volume controls interact with each other, a trait you may recognize from some early Fender tube amps. When you change the volume, the tone changes a little as well, and vice versa. This may seem strange at first, but it only takes a few minutes to get used to it.

50s wiring eliminates the need for a treble bleed, though the result is a bit different. Those who like it usually love it, but it's not for everyone.

13. moosie

You can discover how any unfamiliar switch works by testing continuity with a meter. If you don't have a meter, you should. It's going to be your key to troubleshooting when things don't immediately work as planned.

I'd tell you how the switch works, but there are a lot of knock-off blade switches, and they all wire up differently. The concept is the same, though. For a three-way you have two poles, or banks of terminals. Each pole has a common lug, and as you move through the positions, the common connects to 1,2, or 3 on it's pole. Identifying the commons is half the battle.

14. Tuxedo Poly

The modern wiring scheme was developed because of apparent shortcomings in the original scheme
    With the Gibson 2HB 2V 2T arrangement if you usually leave your tone controls at 10 and dislike treble loss as you roll the volume off, you'll most likely prefer 50s wiring. If you use your tone control a lot, and want more independent operation of the two functions, modern wiring is probably the way to go.

15. Solex

Solex TDPRI Member

Wow that’s great thanks for the help. Will let you know how it comes out.

16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.