Wiring question- Can you get all you want in one guitar?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MonkeyJefferson, Aug 18, 2019.

1. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

A few years ago, I assembled a couple partscasters, and really became fond of both.

One is an Esquire with a pre-made Eldred Mod, and a 3-way switch.

The other is an old HH tele I converted to a Cabronita-type, with a TV Jones Standard in the bridge, and Supertron in the bridge.

I now am thinking of merging two things I like most- the Supertron Neck, and the Esquire, with the Eldred setting and the standard setting. I don't care about mixing the pickups here at all. I just want a neck I can turn the tone down on and channel my inner-Chet, and a bridge that gives me multiple ways to twang rudely.

What do you guys recommend? I'm thinking of maybe switching to stacked volume/tone pots, as I'm thinking I want 500 pots for the neck. I'd also be willing to ditch the switch setting on the three-way with no tone, if that helps. Interested to hear if anyone's "kept" an Eldred setting on a non-Esquire....

double_a likes this.
  2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Here's a trick -- put a small capacitor on the tone pot the same value as the "blower" settings (no tone pot). With the pot all the way down, it's the same as having no resistance to the capacitor (the tone pot is invisible), making it identical. If you don't need to spontaneously switch to all the way down, you get the entire range the small cap provides on the tone control instead of only a single setting.

I use small caps on the tone pot in nearly every wiring I do. If I have some settings using a large cap, I use a push-pull pot or do the tone circuit wiring on the switch itself.

What pots are you currently using for the TV Jones (classic)?

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Tele Esquire-H that I wired both bobbins separately to a 4-way switch so I get neck/parallel/bridge/series. It covers the important bits of Tele neck (with a little tone roll off), Strat #2 quack, Tele bridge twang, LP bridge humbucker. It's a 16kohm humbucker that splits to 8kohm singles plus I lower the pickup and raised the screw poles for more output separation. It kind of does all that I need it to.

An SSS Strat with an Armstrong Blender gives me either core SSS or HSH or anywhere between. It's a stealth Super Strat.

I tried a lot of other mods but they were either too complicated (to remember what was what) or too limited of options.

On an HH guitar I've converted it to HS by making the neck pickup just a single bobbin with screw poles adjusted like a Strat then adjusted pickup heights until volume parity when switching. I did put a push/pull to get parallel quack out of the neck pickup but I don't use that much.

If you start out with a 500k volume pot, there is a diagram for an HS Tele that when switching to the bridge a fixed resistor is put across so the single coil pickup sees 250kohm.

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It seems that I can't get all that I want with 18 guitars. :(

The Angle and CFFF like this.
  5. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

Given that both electric guitars and amplifiers have tone and volume controls, and more than one pickup, I think that most people - for example, most 'studio' electric guitar players - can and do get along with one guitar. Of course, it depends how much range in sounds you want or need, but I think that most good guitar & amp combos, in the hands of good players, would do the trick.

That's not to say that owning five guitars would not be more fun.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.