1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wiring problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Maupelsung, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Maupelsung

Maupelsung TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I just assembled my first telecaster. It is a semihallow tele with two tonal chambers. The project came great except that I have problems with the wiring, everithing seems to be correctly grounded to my tester, still once the guitar is connected to the amp it makes a light noise, rolling the tone pot all the way down it goes away.
    Up to my researches being an Hallow body there's no possible way to shield it except by using shielded wires. that brings up many different dubs in my mind and I was hoping for help.

This is the girl:

[​IMG]

Currently I have a mini toggle switch on on on that gives a series/split/parallel configuration to the humbucker. The Volume pot recives ground from the bridge, the humbucker, the tone.

[​IMG]

With shielded wires I guess I could take away wires 4 and 6. I think I could connect wire n3 and create two little bridges withe the shielding to create a ground connevtion between the tone and volume pot. Correct?
    Also from the center log of the volume the signal would connect to the imput Jack Hot and the shielding of the same wire would have a bridge on the volume pot and on the ground connector of the imput Jack. Again, is it correct?

As it follows:

[​IMG]

Ideally this should solve my noise issue....Help....Thanks

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Where's your pickup selector switch?

3. Maupelsung

Maupelsung TDPRI Member

There's no selector switch...being one humbucker there's no need for...the monitoggle gives options of sound to the only humbucker

4. Maupelsung

Maupelsung TDPRI Member

This is where I started from. schemabuono.jpg

5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

In split mode, some noise is actually expected.
    If you are having issues with the series and paralell modes, check if you haven't inverted the wires from the pickup.
    If you haven't used a real Seymour pickup, maybe you have different colors of wires coming from that guy (there's not a standard, unfortunately).

6. moosie

Sorry, I didn't look closely enough. I saw the bridge, thought it was the second pickup. Nevermind.

7. moosie

Shielded wires will help a LOT with a semi or hollow body guitar. Just make sure all shielding is grounded.

8. Maupelsung

Maupelsung TDPRI Member

It gives noise in all three selections. that is way I'm thinking of shielded wires. As I said the tester goes .000 at every end of the circuit except for the log of the mini toggle that brings the hot signal .004 but the rest of the toggle logs to the pots are perfectly grounded

9. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Taking SD as reference:

- to have it in series you have to connect the red and white wires together, the black will be your hot, the green will be your ground.

- to have it in paralell and maintain it as a humbucker, black and red go together (that's the hot), as well as green and white (that's the ground).

- Split, your choice, black (+) /white (-) or red (+) /green (-). Leave the not used pair alone or ground it.

- I think you know that you need a on-on-on switch (3 positions) to do what you want.

- The "bare" wire from pickup always goes straight to ground.

So, be calm and check if your switch is doing its job properly to connect the wires as above. If you are not using a SD, do a search for a color chart in the Web that will give the comparison among different brands.

10. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oh, I forgot: nice guitar!

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

no matter how you cut it... once you get to the dpdt you are exposing the wires (ie shielding stops). also, most 4 conductor wire has a foil shield as it is. this doesn't need to be connected to ground because there is generally an exposed ground wire running through it making contact. (also prob should use shielded wire to vol and tone).
    if you absolutely can't shield the inside , you might consider putting the switch inside a small plastic bag and put foil around the outside of it... that is... assuming shielding is actually your problem.
    I'd be more inclined to guess that you don't have a solid ground. do you still hear more noise when you take your hands off the strings? if not it's a grounding issue, or like others proposed - a phase/polarity issue.

12. moosie

And that bare wire (the fifth humbucker wire) needs to be grounded, of course.

While it's going to be a rare occurrence, it's happened to me, and caused days of lost time diagnosing a noise issue. That bare wire was completely buried in the twist of the four humbucker leads, and never made contact with the foil shielding. That ungrounded foil caused HUGE noise issues.

If you really think shielding is the issue, then replace all your wires with shielded cable, and ground the shield. You can use modern coax, with a center hot conductor, and an outer common / ground / shield, which is then itself insulated, or you can use vintage style cloth wire with an outer metal braid.

When testing, are you doing all this in a particularly noisy place, like right under fluorescent shop lighting? If so, the noise might drop to reasonable levels under real playing conditions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.