Wiring pedalboard insert jacks

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by OldManAP, Feb 26, 2020.

1. OldManAP

OldManAP TDPRI Member

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I’ve searched all over the internet and I’ve found some info on similar situations, but nothing exactly like what I need, and I just can’t seem to understand what I need to do.

I’m about to rewire my board, and I need an insert point in the middle of the signal chain for a volume pedal offboard (because I’m using the same board for guitar and pedal steel). I want the signal to automatically pass through when nothing is plugged into these jacks. I believe what I need is called “switching jacks”, but I don’t know how to wire them.

I also want a master input and output jack on the side of the board, and I’m assuming I just need regular TS jacks for that. For ALL of these (in from guitar, out to amp, send to volume pedal, and return from volume pedal) I would prefer to hard wire them to the cable rather than have a dual sided jack thing.

So my questions are, how to wire the switching jacks to be “full-normalled” (am I using that term correctly). And do I need to wire any of those jacks to a ground point (the board itself is all wood)? And am I better off using enclosed or open frame jacks?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

No idea about the 'pass through when not plugged in' thing... but the grounds on the jacks will need to be connected to each other, so the ground on the cable can remain unbroken (if you see what I mean?) in the same way your signal has to continual through all the jacks, pedals and cables, the ground has to do the same.

3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

... for the other thing... I would just use a patch cable when you don't want to insert anything. But if it can be done your way, that sounds a better way to do it.

4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I use solderless connectors which which have a face mount with screw holes for all of these connections. The thing I don't know is if they are switched or not, but it would be easy to make a plug with the tip and ring nodes soldered together to plug in when you don't use the volume pedal.

Check out these guys: https://pedalboardshop.com/product-category/jacks/

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

sorry I didn't explain that well...

so on your board input, you'd have your regular mono socket then you'd have a bit of guitar cable going to your first pedal, a regular TS jack going into that, the other end of the cable you'd just solder the cable to the tip (signal) and ring (ground) connections on the socket, do the same on the way out.

6. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

ostensibly you could do this with a minimum of a shorting jack and a regular jack. use the shorting jack in the "to volume pedal" position. signal is wired to the tip terminal, the short terminal is wired to the tip terminal of the regular jack in the "from volume pedal" position. done.

ideally, you'd want two shorting jacks with the short terminals connected and the rest wired normally. that way you can't inadvertantly have anything happen if the "to volume pedal" has nothing inserted but the "from volume pedal" does

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.