Wiring not working, where did i screw up?

william_b_noble

NEW MEMBER!
As an ee, not guitar player, your circuit cannot work. You want, I think, to turn on a pickup and turn off the other pickup, and get the volume you set for the selected pickup. To do this, feed each pickup into the high side of a pot, ground the low side. Then, get a spdt switch, connect the switch common to the tone control and the output connector. Connect the wiper of the volume pots to a pole on the spdt switch, one wiper to each of the two poles

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here's your diagram, corrected. "Jazz Bass" wiring on the volumes, and the pickups' south coils grounded.

OOPS, I forgot to draw in a ground for the tone pot's case.

Attachments

• Mustang HB.jpg
    Mustang HB.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Dimension

TDPRI Member
I've finished soldering together a dual-humbucker setup with 2 Mustang switches each for Series/Split/Parallel as shown in the wiring diagram:

View attachment 986717

Unfortunately I found some issues:

-I wanted the volume knobs to only control 1 humbucker each, but it turns out they each control both humbuckers.
-My split option isn't working. I'm getting sound from the pickups by tapping them, but in the middle position i can hear both coils as being active.

Could I get some help troubleshooting?
It looks like in the original diagram you show, the tone pot needs to be connected to the output of the volume pots. Connected before the input is putting both pickups in parallel before they are connected to any volume pot. That will cause those volume pots to both work for both pickups. That diagram does not look right. I would start the fix for the volume by connecting the tone for each volume at the center lugs of the volume pots so it is their output into the tone. Also do a google search for ways to wire a tone pot there are more than a few, and they each have a slightly different effect on the tone.

Joeyboy951

TDPRI Member
I've finished soldering together a dual-humbucker setup with 2 Mustang switches each for Series/Split/Parallel as shown in the wiring diagram:

View attachment 986717

-I wanted the volume knobs to only control 1 humbucker each, but it turns out they each control both humbuckers.
-My split option isn't working. I'm getting sound from the pickups by tapping them, but in the middle position i can hear both coils as being active.

You should have a common ground .
I don’t see a ground for the tone pot.
There is a lot of info on the internet.
Check fenders website for wiring diagrams. Lots of luck

Dimension

TDPRI Member

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Try swapping the in and out wires on the volume pots.

Edit. See jazz bass wiring for details. Each pickup/pot should be isolated. The output from the pots feeds the tone pot.
View attachment 986747
I had a little trouble the first go at wiring up my Super Sonic for Lace Sensors as vol/vol/no tone, and realized that I just needed to move the hot leads over one lug. Works great now.

Dimension

TDPRI Member
Just did that, like in this diagram:

View attachment 986745

However, the "both volumes control both pickups" problem remains. I believe this is because they're linked at the output jack, and from what I just looked at for Les Paul wiring, it appears to go to the pots first, then the selector switch. Not sure how I'd do something like that however.
Are you sure that both volumes are affecting both pickups, or are you noticing the volume change from not having the output of a pickup? with both pickups at full volume, does turning one down result in no output? If so than both pickups are short to ground somewhere in the circuit when one pot is turned down.

Blockhart329

TDPRI Member

View attachment 986717

Remove the tone pot from where it is. Put it just before the jack on the output of the volume pots.

imtxn

TDPRI Member

View attachment 986717

The first thing I noticed is there’s no connection for a return current path to the coils shown on the drawing. Try connecting the switches bottom right terminal to ground on both switches. And, just so you know the north coil is on in the middle position. Its has to be its the only coil connected to the output

GPoint

TDPRI Member
Easy, connect common Tone pot/circuit after Volume pots, to output jack's "hot" pin. Both pickups are shorted parallel in your diagram, remove this link.

Jrmont

TDPRI Member
Nothing new in this video, but if you read this far and don't understand the cause and a solution, see this video.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Did you read past the first post?

Post #2, ostensibly from the creator, says:
"That's actually a schematic that I need to go back over. I don't think that that slide switch works the way it's meant to. Until I can confirm it, or fix it, I wouldn't use it."

I don't have direct experience with Mustang sliders, so I can't be of much help, sorry.