Wiring not working on middle position

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fattrav, Nov 15, 2014.

1. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Hi guys,
    I'm in the process of wiring up my partscaster and I can't seem to get the middle switch position to work. I've got a Texas special in the neck and a SD Lil 59 in the bridge that I've coil split through a switch. So I've plugged her in and the neck and bridge positions are working but no noise through the middle. I've wired the switch as per instructions but am thinking that I might have missed something? (Like linking some wires or such). Cheers for your advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

any chance you could post a schematic of what you're trying to accomplish? It would be easier to see where you went wrong via a schematic and for troubleshooting purposes if you have a schematic then just trace each wire you've already ran and compare to the schematic and odds are pretty good the problem will jump out at you

3. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

OK, I'm wiring it as a standard tele wiring, with a small switch controlling the coil tap. Attached is a better photo of the current wiring, a drawn schematic of current wiring, the instructions from the place I bought the plate from, their wiring schematic, and a photo of the top of the guitar. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

My schematic that I drew is wrong. The blue wire I'd not numbered. So, the links are 2-4 and 3-5 and the neck is on 6.

5. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Hi Fattrav, I don't have the best vision but from what I can see it appears to be in order. Looks like you have a few melted wires there as if your soldering pencil got away from you. Have you tried taking the plate out and plugging everything in and when in your mid position wiggle the wires a bit to see if you get anything. Could be a short circuit but I'm very sorry I am having a hard time viewing exactly what you've done here. It's very difficult for me to determine what's terminating where other than the obvious.

If you Google "Jonesy Blues" he has some nice tutorials on YouTube on wiring and proper soldering technique. You may have to get some de-soldering braid and take that all apart, clean it up and start over. Make yourself a template of the control plate and do most of your soldering on that. A cardboard or thin piece of ply etc with the volume/tone holes drilled in it. Get most of your wiring and soldering done there and then you should only have to wire up the output jack and pup leads at the actual guitar.

If you don't mind starting over I will walk you through it but I just can't make heads or tails outta that wiring job and the way that wire is melted etc you are gonna have some short circuits soon if you don't already. Those pots and switches should clean up real good with some de-soldering braid and you are going to want to tin all your wires, switches and pot lugs before you begin.

Wish I could be more help as is

6. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

I will desolder it and have another go at it. Haha, i only have fairly rudimentary soldering equipment and thought I'd done a reasonable job ;). I personally don't see how the middle position would be not working if the neck and bridge are working, and the link wires are soldered in.

7. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Hey Fattrav, you did okay but it is a bit sloppy. I've seen worse believe me and we all have to start somewhere. Are you certain you don't have those jumper wires on the selector switch backwards? Double check that to be certain

8. ecoli

ecoli Tele-Meister

I like working from Seymour Duncan's wiring diagrams. Very nicely laid out. Your schematic is like the one below. Difference being the 2-way switch for the coil split.

[​IMG]

My suggestion would be to wire it up like this first and test in all positions. Add in complexity as you move along to help eliminate issues. If you still have the missing middle position, could be bad soldering or a bad 3-way switch.

9. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Yeah....I think I'll just go with a new switch huh...

Attached Files:

10. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Oh, ive done worse ;), most of my suldering is usually done with an oxy/acet plant. I looked, and the link wires appeared to be on the right way but as I went touch one of them to desolder the switch to tidy it up, the little terminal started flapping about, so I will sus out a new switch tomorrow.

11. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Thanks Ecoli, I used the lay out youve suggested when I had the pick ups in another guitar (cheap squier strat that i was gonna use for parts for this build) and it ran OK.

12. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Bought a new switch for it this afternoon and wired it up. All good now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.